Potential Big Cat Locations near Memphis

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by patrickgd, Jul 5, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Anyone care to share any spots for potential big catfish in or nearby the Memphis area? I've tried a few spots along the Mississippi River bank repeatedly but get skunked everytime. I've been attributing this to high water levels but it might just be me, or perhaps the spots I try are fished out. Who knows??????????????????? anyway the result always seems to be the same "ZER0". The best I've done in the past 6 or 7 times is I caught 1 Gar.
    Lately I've been considering trying to fish the Wolf River OR the Hatchie. Both of the rivers are not at all known or considered by the public as places to fish. Mainly because they seem to be very inaccessible, always surrounded by lots of trees and brush with muddy eroded banks and LOTS of drifting tree snags. Anyway I'm rambling now.

If you know of any spots that might be potentials for BIG Catfish in or near Memphis by all means share but if you want to keep them secret I don't blame you, I probably would to. Worth a try I guess. For what its worth I release all fish I catch which is'nt much. :smile2:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Around the I55 & railroad bridges. That's where what was at the time a new world's record blue cat was caught.

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Yeah I've heard about that. Heard that fish was caught on spam. I need to get over the bridge and check out that area for myself. Is the area accessible by car? I drive a toyota corrolla so I can do gravel roads but stay away from dirt roads for fear of getting stuck in mud ruts. Thanks for the tip Jerry.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Can't help you with vehicle accessibility, but it was under water the last time I was going over the bridge, about 3 weeks ago.

5. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Patrick I have always felt that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. I know from sonar readings that if you find fish in 40-50ft of water anywhere else that I find fish wil be at the same depth. I know that you are limited fishing from the bank but try to take note of the depths that you are fishing. and try several different spots and take notes of those depths. Then use the posts from other guys to try and pinpoint the depth at were they are catching fish. Some river maps may help you find some better locations. A couple years ago I caught alot of cats from the hatchie river. That thing is full of channels from 1-8lbs.

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Thanks Chris I appreciate you sharing your hard earned knowledge.

I could'nt wait to get the "ok" considering the Wolf and went ahead and tried it out last night. I carried some Live Gills hoping for a nice Flathead but to my pleasant surprice caught a nice Channel on one instead. I had one line out baited with nightcrawlers and caught the skinniest catfish I've ever seen. Heres a couple of pics below. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Or what I did was bought a smartcast,which is a portable depth/ fishfinder..The one I have is a watch with a little float and you toss out the float and it reads pretty much like any ole fishfinder its just small.They make a larger one that has like a regular size screen with a handle and a pole that you can stick in the water and you move the handle around to find different depths or it can be mounted on side of a boat or dock..I like my lil watch though it works perfectly for me when I'm bank fishing..And like shadguts said you have to move around and walk the banks,try to cover as much water as you can...Another thing I do when bank fishing is look for the bait fish like minnows and shad swimming in schools..Use a pair of polarized fishing glasses to help in located them swimming in schools along the surface.Also you may try chumming the area you fish..I keep a big bag of cheap dogfood from freds and chum with that and I buy the canned dogfood and puncture a few holes in it and toss the can in my basket..And when I leave an area I frequent I toss out all of my leftover bait...Eventually those big fish will learn where to find that easy meal..Well good luck fishing..

8. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Thanks Les that is a pretty awesome sounding tool. I'm gonna definitely look into getting one of those. It's good to hear that some useful technology is making it's way to the bank.
    I am definitely envious of those who get out on the water but I'm just not comfortable at all in boats, especially on rivers.
    Tanks again dude!

9. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    No prob pat...I was born and raised on the bayou...Always on boats or at the camp..My Grandfather was a commercial fisherman and trapper so most of the fishing I did as a kid was trawling,crabbing,running bush lines,running trot lines,trapping gators and nutria..Never did much rod and reel fishing much less bank fishing..But for the last I guess in the last 13 years I've done a lot of rod and reel fishing(mostly saltwater) and have learned a lot but I always learn new stuff to this day(like fishing freshwater for big cats)...But anyways bank fishing is a nice change of pace for me and really a lot more challenging to me..Don't get me wrong I love to fish out the boat too..My boat needs some work done right now though so I've been doing a lot of bank fishing,plus I'm only three years into living here in Tennessee so I haven't even scratched the surface of all the potential fishing spots here..

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Les you sound alot like some of my kin folk from Mississippi and Arkansas. I've been exposed to the rugged outdoor hunting and fishing in my childhood but for the most part I'm a city slicker with a country boy streak I guess. Anyway you say your in TN. now, what part? Maybe we can do some fishing together sometime. I live in a suburb of Memphis. Theres not many options for big cats around here except for the MS. River so I've been fishing there about once or twice a week since early May but as you can see have not done to well. Also there is a B.O.C gathering going on at Picwic Lake the weekend of Sept. 19. I've already made plans to be there. I'd like to find a couple of foks to hook up with and do some serious catfishin down there on the TN River. Maybe go in on a pontoon boat or something. Let me know what you think.

11. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like a blast!!Wish I could make it but I'm a good ways away from Memphis and the Pickwick..Would absolutely love to go down to Pickwick..Right now my wife and kids are gonna be in D.C. during the 19th of September and I've already made plans that weekend to go down to Decatur Alabama to go dove hunting...Anyways when I first left New Orleans after the storm we were living in Brownsville not far from Memphis but now I live about 56 mile NE of Nashville..Trousdale County the smallest county in the state..We do have the Cumberland River which is a hop skip and a jump...About the Mississippi River I know down in Louisiana I seen a guy pull a 95lber(blue cat) by the grain elevator in Bridge City right on the Mississippi...But usually when I use to fish the Mississippi it was always at the mouth for big bull reds...I've only been targeting big cats for the last year and a half...I've had a lot of first up here though...First flathead,first brown trout,first sauger,first smallmouth..But we'll try and hook up sometime,I'm in a catfish club up here and we sometimes make trips to places like Pickwick..They just got back from Sante Cooper,unfortunately I was unable to attend but the biggest cat they caught was 52 lbs and they caught over 250 lbs between 4 people on there 1st day..I regret missing that trip...Been down to Alabama a couple times and fished the Tennessee River a bit, we did pretty good catching 15 to 20lbers ...Anyways hope you catch the big one Pat...

12. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    now les!! Trousdale aint THAT small!! im just right down the road!! you ever head down to the dam and fish?? {cordell hull in carthage}

13. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Patrick welcome to the BOC, I have never fished the Mississippi river so can not help you there. But do come over to the gathering at pickwick in sept. there should be someone there that can help you out on the miss. also you can get some good fishing in below the dam.

14. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Not yet...Been going to bledsoe creek a bit and Old Hick around Shutes branch..Went to Defeated creek once but I haven't been around Cordell Hull lake or the dam....Yet...Like I said in an earlier post I'm fairly new to the area and I work in Nashville so most of the peeps I know are in that area..Any ways I really have to get my boat fixed...Hopefully soon...

15. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello patrick, and welcome to the b.o.c. I'm not a memphis native, but I found a decent spot to fish when i was visiting there last year. I'm not sure of the roads but i can describe where i was fishing. It's near downtown. there's an island with a trolley car that carries people back and forth. we fished under the highway bridge behind the island. we fished around the bridge pilings and caught a few nice flatheads before sunrise. then gar moved in and we could'nt keep our baits down. I'm pretty sure the bridge that jerry is talking about is just a couple miles downstream. Man, that's a deep and wide part of that river. you gotta respect a river that big..

16. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Yeah Mark I fished a bit around that area but I don't think I've fished that exact location. The last time I was down there I fished in a channel where river boats park. I did'nt really see a way to get "below" the bridge but perhaps just did'nt look enough but allot of areas that were good spots last year are underwater now due to all the flodding up north. Anyway do remember where you parked at to get to this spot? and was the bridge you fished beneath a bridge that goes across the whole river or just to the island?

17. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've been learning the Hatchie myself. I'm from the KY Lake area, but moved to Memphis in October. What a change.

I've been catching some fish from the Hatchie (actually caught a rep. of all three species this weekend, nothing big), but have learned the hard way Shelby Co. tags aren't welcome around there. My wife and I pulled up to the boat ramp yesterday after fishing only to find the wiring in my boat trailer and truck had been cut. I'm not sure why, but assume it was some local's way of hiking his leg and pissing on the hydrant. It sucks that people have to act that way over a fishing spot, but if you spend much time in the area, it's something to be aware of. It's not, however, going to discourage me from going back.

18. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Wilbur are you referring to the area Roger mentioned by Burlison?

19. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Well Wilbur I just realized that the place Roger posted about is in another forum. Anyway, the Hatchie runs all over Memphis. Finding a good spot where theres not like a 50 ft. drop-off cliff to get to the bank or DENSE forrest to trek through is the problem.
    As for the people with malicious intent goes, I've been a bit concerned about that myself. Some folks out there have nothing better to do than cause trouble. I suppose thats why we exercise our right to bear arms.
    Let me know if you wanna possibly get together and go fishing. Perhaps we can collaberate and locate some Bigg'uns.

20. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Patrick,

I haven't made enough posts to send you a pm. I'm in Cordova. Actually planning to try the MS River this weekend, now that it's gone down some. I've got a boat set up for drift fishing.

My seats are taken for this weekend, but we should fish together one of these days.

Wilbur T.