Poteau river

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by whisker chunk, Jul 28, 2009.

1. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Has anyone ever fished the poteau river in a boat? I dont even know where youd put a boat in at but I live very close to the river and hear that theres huge flathead in it. Any info and tips would be great.

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Tom the poteau river has some good ones in it:wink: Especially when it is running....Arkoma ramp puts in directly......go right & it hits the Arkansas river left goes up the Poteau river..There is an old ramp by an old bridge south of Poteau but i have never used it...:big_smile:

3. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Is there any places where you can bank fish on the river besides below the wister dam?

4. OkieOFT

OkieOFT New Member

State:
    Wister, Oklahoma
    There is a park in Arkoma that would allow for bank fishing. Thats about the only place I know of right now. I'm always on Google Earth or maps.live.com searching for new places to fish, although most turn out to be inaccessible/on private property when I actually go out there. I'll see if I can find any county roads running adjacent to the river.

5. OkieOFT

OkieOFT New Member

State:
    Wister, Oklahoma
    Whisker, did some map checking. Highway 59 crosses the river just after the Long Lake Resort heading towards Heavener, and shortly after that there is a county road bridge that crosses it. After that, it passes just behind the Poteau Airport. There is a bridge there too, not sure if it's private. Past that, it passes under the Old Cameron Hwy near Bremner. The next easy access area after that is east of Shady Point on CR74, and again east of Panama. There are several other crossings after that, all the way up to the confluence with the Arkansas River. Those are just the public crossings I could spot on the aerial map, there are tons of oilfield roads that may or may not be acessible. I got all of this info off of maps.live.com, great tool for scouting fishing spots.

6. Someoneelse

Someoneelse New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My wife is from Poteau and we go back there sometimes to vistit friends and family. I have only fished a few private ponds there.

7. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Is there any deep holes or logjams on the river where i could find a big flathead?