Potato Soup

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Boomer, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    During the winter time, I love to make Potato Soup, warm you right up.

Here is how I make mine.

5 medium potatoes (more if you like a lot of pototoes in it)
    3 cans evaporated milk (not condensed, unless you like sweet soup)
    green onions
    celery
    bacon
    flour
    salt
    pepper
    garlic powder

Peel and cube potatoes. In large pot, put evaporated milk and enough water to make 4 quarts. Chop green onion and celery. I like alot of both these in mine. In pan fry bacon crisp and crumble, add bacon, salt, pepper, garlic powder and potatoes. Whip 1/4 cup flour in water until all lumps are out, and add to mixture, let soup thicken.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I love potato soup! I make it with pork steak all cubed up, lots of 'taters, and thick enough to use in a food fight, if it comes to that.:smile2:

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I always thought you had to have like a chicken broth/stock to make it taste right. I love it.

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never tried it with chicken broth, will have to give it a try. My Mom in the winter time always had a big pot of it going, or there were some in the fridge, where you could just heat some up. I guess to me it is just one of those winter comfort foods.

5. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I've always chose the potato soup instead of a salad at my favorite steak house... Thanks for the recipe! :)

6. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Here I sit, the weather is 85 out and I want potato soup. See what your doing to me Gary?? I use a little chicken bullion in mine (the paste type). Gives the soup a nice rich taste.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    How could I forget? Gotta top my soup with lotsa green onions and croutons!

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I love tater soup,I havn't made any in ages,might just have to make up a batch. I have been buying the cambel's that comes in the drinkable can,pretty good for a quick addition to a sammich.

9. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Great recipe, I love me some tater soup. I also like to throw some boullion in (paste form). It really does something to the soup. I like mine with a big ol blt.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I love that stuff. I make mine with lots of BUTTER LOL. I like the end piece bacon also, almost like ham in there. Yum. :big_smile_2:

11. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have used smoked ham in mine pretty good. The chicken broth is new to me, will have to give that a try. Some people instead of onions use leeks, to me it just dont seem the same. I like the green onions, and then when it is done, add a few on top. That there is the way to go.

I have ate cheddar potato soup also, I guess they just added cheddar cheese to the mixture, wasnt bad, but it just didnt taste like potato soup after that.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use chicken stock also. Just adds a little extra something. I use green onions also. Ive also put a dallop of sour cream on top also. Kinda like a baked tater that way.

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    something else i do after cooking the potatos down when making soup is add a can of broc. cheese soup (campbells) and a hand full of shreaded cheeder to the pot!:wink: rollo

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds good. I make it in the winter too. I use chicken broth, half and half, and usually put diced ham in it and shredded cheddar on top.

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i like my tater soup with sausage in it or ham and jowl bacon is good too just had some last nite

16. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    and sour cream....YUMMMMMMM I love it and nobody else here cares for it :/

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I love sour cream also, baked tater in a bowl. Now Im gonna make it for turkey day. :cool2:

18. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    We have a cold front coming tomorrow. Think I will just stay home and make me some tater soup! You all made me HUNGRY...:crazy:
    Thanks for the recipe.

19. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I love potato soup with lots of green onion tops and cheese. Thanks for the
    recipe. I like sour cream in chili but never tried it in potato soup.

20. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    ohhhh I love the cheese too but I put sour cream in all kinds of potato dishes that I make whether they are boiled or baked. I never tried sour cream in chili, that may make me more of a chili fan. I'll eat chili but it's not something I LOVE to eat like john and and the kids do. I'm gonna try that!