Pot Bellied Pigs....Anyone have one??

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by teaysvalleyguy, Apr 30, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    OK, here we go. I am looking to get a pet for Madison. I have a aunt that has one in Florida and she said they are easy to maintain and go to bathroom in Kitty Litter Box. Eats Dog food and really smart.

I have always been into weird pets, had alligators, tarantulas, tree frogs, anoles, pac man frogs, pixie frogs, prayinmantises, weird things I say.

I just want to know the ins and out before I invest in one and even if it is a good idea. Thanks in advance and look foward to the information.

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    SudDawg used to have one when we were kids, was the wierdest critter... very smart if i remember correctly. Just do some research and realize that they are not "small" by any means and they are pretty stout. SudDawgs would squeal really loud if you lightly pushed in the center of her back!

Aaron

TA2D

3. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i had the neighbor's. tasted like pork!!!
    catwacker

4. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO Catwacker, rather eat the pig then the dog or cat though. hehehe

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I had 2 of them for a while till My 17' burmese python ate them, LOL!!! That is what I got them for "FOOD", LOL!!!

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    LMAO on P.B.P. My neighbor one bout 15 years ago. Dang pig thought he was a dog. Short fat thing was 80lb's of friendly. He always wanted to play with people. Run up on me, everybody all the time knocking my legs out from under me. He was tough like a little running back. Then I saw him thinking a basket ball was his girl friend, I put up a fence. My neighbor could not get that ball from him, he had a BBQ.

Golden retriever's are good pets for kids.

If you get a PBP, dont let em drive.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    My wifes sister has had 2 of them.
    #1 grew to about 200 pounds,so make sure to see the parents
    Both #1 and #2 hated me,and the feeling was mutual-
    was bitten by #2,thank goodness its still a baby....I wouldn't do it based on this limited experience

8. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Neighbor lady had one a few years ago. When it died I used it in connection with coyote hunting. That dern thing layed there all winter and nothing ever touched it. She'd had a vet look at it and he said it was just old, not diseased. That seemed perty wierd ta me!

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I remember those things from Nam... ugliest looking critter. Instead of round like our hogs, these things were flat on the sides... looked like they got caught between two semis...Someone tied their tail to a post and a rope to their nose and lengthened them out also...and sway backed...just plain ugly. The thing really bad about them, is they couldn't swim. I was in a costal city where the Vietnamese built house over tidal flats. They kept the livestock in their houses...these pigs would fall in and drown. Then a couple of days later they would float into the concentenia wire surrounding our compound. Stink....whoooo, did they stink. We had to take a boat and some diesel fuel about every 10 days and burn the carcasses. Didn't smell any better burning either. Yep, pot bellied pigs, can't say they bring back many good memories.

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for the info guys, I may have to rethink my strategy.

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Joanne had one. Never again though!! Couldn't keep that pig penned up for nothing. And everytime it got out, there went something. Lawn, Grass or something. Like I said, never again!!

12. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    We had one show up on the farm that thought it was a horse. It ate, drank, and slept with them. Funny looking little thing. My dad provides wild hogs for the county wide wildlife supper every year. That year we came up short. Strange thing happened. The pig went missing. :roll_eyes: Needless to say, our family was the only one that didn't eat the pork that year.