Posting The Night Away

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 10, 2008.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, I'm sitting here posting away trying to hide from the Non-World Wide Wed World. :embarassed: I keep thinking if I post more maybe 8 AM tomorrow will never come. :embarassed: Anybody ever do the same?

My work sucks so bad right now, man it's so stressful it's not even funny. I don't have a manual labor job such as a carpenter, mechanic, factory worker, etc.... but I wish I could go back to my high school days and learn a trade. I would much rather have a manual labor job versus a desk job where it's emotional stress versus physical stress. What about you manual labor guys/gals, ever wish the opposite of me?

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea, I often say to myself, " Jim, ya should have gone to college ".

Ya see this way I wouldn't have to freeze , work in the rain , die of the heat , bye tools , work with non workin idiots , be on the job by 6:30 am till dark , worry if there is work next week , I would have health insurance , ...heck I might not even break any more bones or have any more stitches workin at a desk.

Trust me brother...it aint no better. It comes down to lovin your job...period . I been swinging a hammer for over 25 years but I really do enjoy my work. I get a satisfaction out of what I do . Yea it sucks when I gotta pull a nail out of my tire or when my helper calls in sick cause he got to drunk the night before, LOL , but all in all........I love what I do and I do it dam good ; )

Sorry your not liking what your doing . If I were you I would look else where for work . If you don't see yourself doing the same thing in ten years ya might as well make the change sooner.......why torture yourself any longer .

I hope things get better for ya.

-Jim-

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have spent plenty of 16 hour days and nights wading sloshing and falling in the mud of the likes most people have never seen,only to find myself with a few minutes of slack time wondering where I went wrong :smile2:

Sad thing is even if I sat behind a desk I couldnt match what the drilling rigs pay.So I am anxiously awaiting spring and will hop on the first rig out of the yard.

I miss the days of toodling around in a Chevette delivering pizza :crazy:

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have worked at welding, millwrighting and business owner.

Durning the Clinton years I was even day trading stocks.

Now of all the stressfull jobs, that behind a desk, staring at computer screens, on and off the phone and having a TV in the background going, that was rough. After 8+ hours of that, I was more wore out than working with my hands. My head was wore out, eyes hurt, just in general drug out.

I think manual labor is better.

Well now I'm on Social Security, and that's the Best.:smile2::smile2:

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    as a carpenter for the last 20+ years i often thought a desk job would be better but thats just not me so i guess i'll just keep on cussing the heat the rain the snow and deal with all the aches and pains that this old body has now due to my work so i guess every job has its good and bad

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Buddy isn't that the truth. When I was 17 I had two part time jobs and I sware that I think I had cleared more money then than I do now! Of course I lived at home and had no real bills.

I guess if we call try the best we can at what we do and treat others as we want to be treated there's nothing else that can be done, right? :big_smile:

I give thanks for for having the same job for the last 11+ years. There are so many folks out there without jobs right now. My heart goes out to them.

7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I most likely am one of the few people who love there job. I'm a commercial Photographer, I'm not saving lives, or building houses, but it is rewarding to me. After some 30 yrs of doing my job I still get excited at producing a image, seeing it the first time it comes up on the screen ( digital now day ) when film was the media of the time, getting back my transparency was always exciting. There have been times that i wish i went to trade school instead of college. Maybe take up a trade in computers,( I thought it was a fad at the time so much for foresight) or becoming a hair dresser ( don't laugh my mother did for years and made a killing) or even go military as a career, Why you may ask if i like my job so much would i want to revisit my past and change what i am doing? the only regret i have is that my present job took me away form my mother, brothers, and other family and friends, Moving into a area that you have no idea what is what and not having support or friends out side of your wife and children was hard. When my my mother,brother and aunt passed away several years back I felt i should have been there with while they were still alive and enjoying out time together. If I would have went to trade school i most likely would have not moved here and been around in there time of need,

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I really like my job working road construction Brian. However, I would rather have my summers off to go fishing. The winters are alright to stay inside and out of the crap weather, but I think I would rather work like a school teacher. That's what my wife is, and it makes me jealous in the summer.. Also it makes it very difficult to plan family vacations.. Hang in there bro.. the winters are always a tough time....:wink: rollo

9. justaredneck

justaredneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    i work for a concrete company and 90% of my job is reading blueprints and cutting the rebar they are going to need for the day. easy as it gets. so yea i like my job.if i got to choose what i got to do, hunting and fishing guide now thats an awsome job

10. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Funny tho I paid bills but still managed to plop a couple hundred every weekend on the newest stereo equipment.Now all I have left is a couple car show trophies lol.

Not working sucks more than working I think.

11. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    My current job isn't physically demanding, but when the machines play up....yer running round like a blue-arsed fly. Still, I'd prefer to do what I do than being stuck behind a computer screen all day.

To answer the Q though.....YES, I'd DEFINITELY would have liked to learn a trade.

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I work in a paint factory! I'm on the move most of my 8 or 12 hours and I honestly must say I prefer that over the possibility of sitting at a desk. I passed up chanches at getting boss positions for this reason. The physical labor part isn't all that bad and I don't have to answer to the people in suits & ties! :wink:

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    for me its I hate having someone tell me what to do, esp by someone whos been there less than me. ive been doing it long enough shut up and go away and it will get done bother me itll take twice as long:wink: manual labor skilled labor beats pencil pushing.