Postbeetle the Hardhead

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by seacatfish, Mar 27, 2008.

1. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yep here are photos of a hardhead I put in the tank this week. Think I`ll name him Postbeetle, in honor.......

Attached Files:

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    wow, the resemblance is uncanny. are you sure thats not the man, the myth , the legend himself you have there in your tank?

3. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Postbeetle will not eat! He`s been in the tank for 10 days and I`ve put sardine pieces and clam chunks in there, to no avail. I know hardheads love sardines, I slay them on it in the river.

They like murky water, maybe the clear water has him skittish. He is in good shape, but I`m worried. Gotta eat.

Now his namesake has made a comeback, and perhaps that will make him hungry.....

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Try giving postbeetle fish flakes or a piece of worm and I`m sure he`ll eat it.

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brother seacatfish, you wrote that you had water in the tank. That will not work if you want the cat (postbeedle) to eat, it has to be beer. Where have you been all this time?

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Make it a big tank. Old Style light. Iced tank sides. A little salt if it's Friday. Depending on my mood, keep a straw or two handy. Hang a playboy calendar on the South wall to stimulate my brain. (the one on my shoulders)

7. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    That`s where I went wrong, duh! I let 2 Fridays go by without giving him his salt. Sorry, he`s not getting beer. He`s just going to have to pretend, like all those years I did (listening to that foolish young doctor).

I shook in some sea salt, kind of like his brackish home out back. You don`t think he needs some female company, do you? Nah, without beer, he wouldn`t know what to do with it.:smile2:

8. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Glory! Rapture! PB is eating like a pig today. He ate 4 pieces of sardine, we watched him wolf down the last two. His stomach is bulging!

It may well have been the salinity, or it may simply have been, in fact, the return of postbeetle to our arms.:big_smile:

9. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Here are photos of the gorging.

1. The crowd goes wild!

2. Bulging belly

3. bulging belly

Attached Files:

10. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Need to get him a sailcat friend maybe name it after JW or DH :smile2:

11. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    So how is PB doing ?

12. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    He`s doing well, piggishly speaking. I am having more fun watching him. The best thing is most fish have a fixed eye, more or less, while he has the unique ability to roll his eyes at you- then back at a piece of thread herring- then back at you. It is almost human.

I`ll try to do an update when he develops other interesting traits. I will say, he is very like his namesake( at least as I think his namesake might be like). He was nervous for awhile, but settled in nicely. He is slightly built, but loves his meals. He is cute, in an animal sort of way. And I imagine him as inteligent, although there is precious little to judge by.....

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Nice looking FISH, however how in the world can you name it PostBeatle.That fish is so much better looking.:roll_eyes:LOL.Keep us update on the progress.Good that he is finally eating.Probably was just scared and:confused2: not knowing what had happened.Sounds like ol beatle is gonna be ok though.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dan Yoder: Mornin' Lad. I wondered how I was a doin'. This beer bathtub you have me in causes me to lose track of time and place. (nice lifestyle though). If you check my avatar that is my father (don't tell the mods they will take it down). You keep feeding me like you are, I won't need brains as I grow. Then I'll come after your hand feeding me. I'll just swallow your hand along with the grub once I get some size. I like that Playboy calendar on the south wall, but am getting bored with this month. Can't wait till May comes and see new scenery. Thinking about spawning, you don't think you could get me a salty girlfriend could ya?

Tell MRR to adjust his glasses. I ain't all that bad looking.

As H.D. Thoreau said: "Time is but the stream I go a-fishin' in." I am waiting for that girlfriend 'Ol Dan Yoder.

15. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Firstly, Mister Postbeetle, I need to speak with you privately. Quietly now, so you will not be embarrassed, are you aware that your tank is filled with O`Douls? I won`t say anything about it on the open board, but there may be some medical reason you are feeling lightheaded. :eek:oooh:It`s not too bad, I drank it myself for a few years. Boy, those were some loooonnnggg years, time practicaly stood still.

I had the most rewarding and fantastic experience Teusday nite while catfishing. Tell you about it in a second.

Found brother Matt (veryama1975) visiting Punta Gorda, which is just down the coast a piece. He was looking for a BOC member in this area, so we had him and his family of 4 ladies over for the evening. He went trotlining with me out back. The girls hit the hot tub and watched american idol. Matt, it sure was nice having you fish w/ me. We set out our hooks at dark, then went in to eat. We started picking up fish at 10:15, just as the moon was rising. It was a near full moon and the water was calm, made for a real nice experience for Matt, I hope. I cleaned cats for about 5 hours yesterday, they were about 80% sailcats. Most of the sailcats had full eggsacks. I brought 9 or 10 eggs, each one 5/8 of an inch across, in and fed them to Postbeetle. He ate EVERY ONE of them. Man, his belly was bulging like never before. I knew catfish ate unguarded eggs, but still was surprised at how much they liked them.

Anyway, Matt had been to Myakka state park the other day and they saw a black bear. In all my life I have never seen one in Florida, so I told him what a rare sighting that was. I should not have been surprised at what happened on the river. Matt didn`t seem to be surprised, but I told him how incredible this was. Hope he appreciates how lucky he is!

We were all quiet, pulling ourselves along the line taking off catfish when a HUGE manatee, every inch of 9 foot long, came right up to the boat and started hanging out right alongside. She (I`d like to think it was a she) let us rub her head, scratch her back, rub her eyes, and generally pet her for 20 minutes! She would pull away for a few seconds and then come right back for more petting. I have never even heard of one allowing contact without pulling away, let alone seemingly encouraging outright petting. We hung out after we finished the line and she stayed right with us. We finaly had to break it off as we were drifting onto a sand bar.:big_smile:

In trying to understand this , I can only guess that she mistook Matt for a daddy manatee. He IS a big boy, I had no idea he was so attractive. We both rubbed her head and back, but I could see she was really excited when Matt did it. He won`t have many fishing trips like that, no matter how long he fishes.

16. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Almost forgot, here`s a picture of Matt with a 6 lb sailcat.

Attached Files:

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You are a cool guy Dan Yoder. I don't let just any Searanger put me in my element of beer. You keep bringing those caviar and I will stick around for a little bit. Got to watch my weight though. Get me a treadmill when you flip that calendar over to May.

The Manatee experience is something else. Thanks for sharing it.

18. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Dont care what anyone says those sailcats sure are pretty.

Sounds like you all had a real good time.

19. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Oh, there`s one other thing I`d like to mention about Matt.

He was telling me about his Amish friend in Illinois, his fishing partner. Apparently, this guy does all the driving on their boat (won`t mention anything about your driving, Matt, I promise). His Illinois friend`s name; Daniel Yoder!:eek:oooh::crazy:

I`m telling you, Matt must be living right!

20. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Well...what can I say? I'm an attractive guy. It's a good thing only the really big gals hit on me though or my wife might get jealous!:smile2: