Post your cabin fever confessions here

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, Jan 9, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I am a sufferer of cabin fever. With Winter lasting a good part of November to well into april sometimes, I suffer.

I have managed to clean every lure, sinker, compartment, and eyelet on every rod reel, tackle box and item I own that is remotely related to fishing. I have a 3 year supplky of sinkers ranging from 1/4 to 5 ounces. I built a fancy plano box shelf just for my workbench out of plywood so that when I am planning a trip I can leave 6 plano boxes at home and take the 7 that I choose for that specific trip. I have organized my Plano boxes by species and assigned lures to each box. I have made a pegboard for my stickbaits, organized by style of stickbait and color.

My boat has been spotless for a month. SPOTLESS

I bought new backing and tippets for my fly gear and intend to put it all together this week for my bluegill runs before flatheadding.

I bought new line for my reels to be respooled this week.

What will I do next week, or for that matter, till the end of march?????
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last year I built a work area for fiswhing, complete witjh bench, hanging rod holders, wall area for supplies, bait tank area, shelving space for my boat stuff, and I managed to insulatye the whole thing.
    My brother bought a mitsubishi Montero just to ice fish with on lake superior. He had a 4 wheeler but that was too small for him. He gave it to me for my ice trips. That will take the edge off cabin fever- that is, if we can get some quality ice in this part of the state!!!

Post your cabin fever antics below:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im too much of a bum to clean the out side of my reels/poles. still have scales/slime from 4 years ago. i usually go on a bunch of "recon" missions looking for new places to fish and trying to figure out easier ways to get to the ones i already have.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Sal,
    I think if you were to tell all that to a therapist you could get your health insurance to pay for a few trips south during the winter!...W

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually spend way to much on new tackle when I have cabin fever..I am trying not to do that this year.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Make it simple, MOVE SOUTH

In Oklahoma you can pretty much fish year round, if nothing else, you can go to an indoor, heated dock to fish

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Tony, Ill take a year of solid ice in exchange for no country music in my life.

lol :rolleyes:

7. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I painted my jon boat,put new rod holders on it,cut the center out of one of the seats and made a dry storage compartment,mounted another depth finder,hid all the wires,took the old foot control trolling motor off and added a new minn kota trolling motor to the back of it,made a battery box for the boat,added some holders to keep my rods down while driving,added a black light and a spot light.......and last year this was the same boat i drug around from pit to pit and could throw it in and out of the back of my truck with no help now its so heavy ima have to buy a trailer for it,but oh well atleast itll be comfortable....im not even going to get into what ive done to the garage.id be typing for ahile lol..................but ill be ready when spring rolls around by gosh! ;)

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    and here i thought i was the only one!

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I usually do not get cabin fever because I catch bait in the winter at the hot water outlet. This year my boat motor was broken and I have just got it fixed. Well, I hope it is fixed I have not had it out yet. I hope to run it Wednesday.

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Heck, you guys don't know what true Cabin fever is!
    Real cabin fever is when you get a nice gift for Christmas, and can't use it. Let's face it, When you get a new tool, you take it out to your work shop and try it out. If your lucky enough to get some new clothes, you wear them New years Eve. If your a hunter and get a new vest or better yet a new Shotgun, you go out a do a little rabbit or squirrel hunting. Just to get the feel of it.
    Me, I was the lucky Fisherman who woke up Christmas morning to find a brand new Abu 6500 and a 7Ft Ugly Stick. It's a thing of rare beauty, But it's winter here in Marlette Michigan and I got snow on the ground.
    Well I went through the owners manual 8,000 times ( have all the part numbers in my head ) and no place to fish. Well last Sunday I woke up at 5:30am, and after two pots of coffee and a little bite to eat, I went out in my garage to take a look at my new Catfishing rig. It was still a thing of rare beauty and by god, I had to try it out. I live on 1 1/2 acres out in the country, so out the back door I went with rod and reel in hand, Hat, and my snow boots. ( We still have snow on the ground). Now, it's about 8:00am on a Sunday morning. Hell, My wife is still in the fart sack, there isn't anyone to see me out in the snow making a fool out of myself. I ajusted the reel to handle a 2oz. weight and give her hell. I haven't had a bait casting reel in my hands in 40yrs, so you can imagine how suprise I was to cast out twice about 40yds. and no Bird nest! So, I thought, why not go to the back of the property between my place and the neighbor and really test this reel. With my Ulgy Stick in hand I leaned back and gave it a mighty toss. It had to go about 200yds, at that time, My neighbor stuck his head out of his back door and said, " Get any Bites" ? Now I know it went 200yds., because it took me a long time to get that line on that reel, as I turned as red as a beet root and hide in my garage. I put the rod & reel back on the rack and went into the house, turn the TV on and sunk down in my easy chair, where I will stay until Spring. Fellow Fisherman, Thats True Cabin Fever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See you when the Ice is gone.
    Sparky

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Sparky..... oh my good Lord! ROTFL..... :D :D

That is a true testament to the deep throes of Michigan winter cabin fever.

For those of you folks who have never had the joy... the pleasure of spending a night feeding fish shrimp bait one at a time with Sparky, you really dont know what you are missing. You think the story is colorful now..... just imagine fishing a fast moving river at 5am when Sparky and Jross and I have been unsucesful all night and we're slap happy and tired and dying for a campfire. Sparky will have you roaring with some of the stuff that has graced the man's gaze.

Im so grateful that you posted that story. Many of the fellas here cast out in their front yards, back yards, or wherever to give the ole reel a try before the ice lets you have your favorite lake or river back for another season.

I admit to many more than one trip to my front yard with the fly rod and a coffee can, trying to get my aim and presentation just so perfect that I lay the fly in the can.... or taking the 13 foot surf rod and a 5 ounce sinker out just to see how much line you can rip from a Penn 309. We have all been there wether we admit to it or not.

too funny..... tooooooo funny. ;)

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Sparky, great story. I kept waiting for "I cast so hard that I slipped on the ice and broke my new rod without ever getting to test it out"

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Not to make you feel bad. But fishing. :D Today the high was 70 degrees and I was out on the water in a t-shirt.. :)
    Fishing and enjoying a great day here on the Tn river.. Caught 3 channel cats. and between 15 and 20 sauger.
    Also been tieing up a bunch of hooks for spring. So far around 200 this week.

PEte

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I'm deffinetly guilty also, I do it quite often. Have to keep on top of my casting. Plus had to check out how the new 6500c5 casts and it is great, just like both of my 6000 are. Love them, the 7000 is next to get tossed in the yard.

15. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey I enjoyed hearing that you broke your rod......thats just too funny. Well sal_jr obviously i can tell your not from iowa.Wheathers HOT in the summer and COLD in the winter. But I would take every bit of quality country music in exchange of NO ice forever where i go. Caught some nice flatheads in the sloughs with some worms. Never had used small gills. They work? well im glad to hear everyones goin for cats but try not to kill all the big n's out there give the new generation a chance to have some fun with them. Those big cats take prolly 20 years to get prolly about 70 pounds. Heres my theory"Catch,Photograph,enjoy your time,and release." It satisfys me and hope it does for you. Good Luck Cattin!!!!!!! :) :) :D :D :cool: :p

16. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Doooooooooooooood, your screamin at us!!! Ouch thas hard on the eyes. Been a little nippy round here but its all good! Caught an albino a few days back. Pulled him out the water to hear "Can't you see i'm nekid, put me back in!" If i didn't know any better he mooned me!

17. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    channelcat tracker....

You live in a cave so long you need to write big to see, or what? :)

I never said small gills work. I use big gills. Big big gills. 8 inchers or more on 10/0 VMC conecut permasteel hooks. And yes, the bigguns come outta the woodwork for em.

18. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Been in the 70's here all week. Winter is not a big problem here.
    main problem is no rain and lakes are at record lows. All my usual boat launching places or too low for me to even try an put my boat in water. I'm sure I could find a spot if I drove around lake cause I see a boat on lake now and then.

We did get a little storm last night which was cool. I had to go out a watch it. Thunder echoing through the skies, lightening. Barely enough rain to cause the dust I call a yard to stick to my shoes. better than nothing.
    I have a feeling when it does start raining again around here, I will need my boat more than ever. Beable to launch it from my yard.

19. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    been pouring rain out here lately pretty darn cold also but still out there been getting skunked the last 2 trips and I may be getting a fever lol

20. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    That is some serious FONT LOL