Post Spawn Rock Flathead Catfish!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishrollo, Jul 11, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Post Spawn Rock Flatheads!!!
    With spawn coming to an end hopefully soon, the flatheads will go back into a normal summer pattern. I like fishing rock piles, heavy timber etc. majority of warm water months whether its pre spawn, spawn, or not. But, seems I do really well in rocky areas after spawn. Most of these rocky areas are below shallow riffle spots. I fish a few shallow rivers, and seems the same pattern holds true for each system. I think it's a combination of a few things. First is... Most years by late July, or August we are expeirencing some of the lowest river pools of the year. Low water conditions, and hot weather make for scorching water temps. and low oxygen levels in certain sections throughout the river. Baitfish that congregate together move to new areas with higher O2 levels, and with adequate protection. These areas seem to be either below low-head dams, or fast moving riffle spots. Riffles with larger rocks and boulders seem to be better than simple sand and small gravel areas for protection purposes for baitfish, and sometimes provide ambush points for the flats. Secondly... Flatheads seem to eat heavily on crayfish during the summer. After spawn, they are often looking to replenish nutrients, and energy lost from a grueling spawn, that has worn them down. I used to bring fish home often, placing them in a holding tank overnight till I could get good pictures the next morning. I would come out to see hand fulls of crayfish in the bottom of the tank that they had puked up. Pretty simple to put two and two together. Shallow rocky areas= an abundant supply of crayfish! I also do well during the mid to late summer using smallmouth bass. As we know smallies are notorious for being in or around rocks, or shallows. I'm sure there are many other species in these shallow rocky areas, and every river system has its own species thats more plentyfull. But, one things for sure, the flatheads go to these areas for the same reason... To feed! Goodluck everyone........rollo

2. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great post. Have you heard any updates about the huge fish kill in the Rock? Do you think fishing for flatties in the Rock will be as good this season?

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never fished the Rock River....rollo

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Any of you others try to target them this way? I would like to know if this holds true in other states as well....rollo

5. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    You just described all of my fishing brother. 99.9% of all my flats, big and small, come from areas with lots of underwater rocks ranging in size from cars to bricks and they are polluted with crawdads, helgramites and baitfish, as well as smallies and walleyes.

For what it's worth, the stretch of the Allegheny River that I fish is very calm water, it resembles a lake more than a flowing river and about 99.9% of the spots I fish are 10' deep or less. My PB 22 pound flathead came in about 3-4 feet of water literally 5 feet off shore.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  6. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    We have a creek near my house I fish regularly, the 2 biggest fish I have pulled off of it (38 & 40) came from spots like you are describing in late July. Both holes have a narrow rocky riffle that opens into one of the widest & deepest pools in the creek and have lots of submerged rock. I haven't tried this tactic yet on the river I am fishing now but I plan to later this month. The water is the lowest it has been all year.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I've caught a couple flats in this riprap hole in the summer when the water is low. There are no riffles immediately above it but there is a large one behind it. It's at least a hundred yards long and it seems like a great spot except I've only gotten a couple of fish there. Maybe 8-10' deep. In higher traffic areas, I've found (on the few I've caught there) that the fish bite really late and when it's quiet. I'd like to figure it out better.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good post. The movements and feeding areas for flats is similar in Cali except the spawn starts earlier here due to weather of course. The fish came off the nest around mid June here.

9. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    The river I fish is a mile wide and a foot deep in alot of places. During the dog days the flats concentrate in deeper water where its cooler. Alot of the biggest holes have a ripple close by to help with o2 levels. Ive been thinking of fishing closer to the ripples but it gets extremly shallow (jet boats only). Not to safe at night. My river eats boats. Just how shallow are you takeing fish from Rollo? Do you run at night? Good post and theory. If the foods there the flats will follow.

10. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I do target them in a somewhat similar manner, there aren't that many rocky areas where we wish with larger rocks I know of two good ones but the water is between 4 and 10 ft deependin on river level but we do have a lot of sandy bottom areas that are shallower and that has seemed to be similar to what you described rollo. I did catch my new pb today out of on of the rock piles in about 8 ft of water.

11. peechykeen10

peechykeen10 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've used crawfish a couple times and have never had luck with flatheads..are crawfish good bait for flatheads? :confused2: