Post Spawn Rock Flathead Catfish!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jul 11, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With spawn coming to an end hopefully soon, the flatheads will go back into a normal summer pattern. I like fishing rock piles, heavy timber etc. majority of warm water months whether its pre spawn, spawn, or not. But, seems I do really well in rocky areas after spawn. Most of these rocky areas are below shallow riffle spots. I fish a few shallow rivers, and seems the same pattern holds true for each system. I think it's a combination of a few things. First is... Most years by late July, or August we are expeirencing some of the lowest river pools of the year. Low water conditions, and hot weather make for scorching water temps. and low oxygen levels in certain sections throughout the river. Baitfish that congregate together move to new areas with higher O2 levels, and with adequate protection. These areas seem to be either below low-head dams, or fast moving riffle spots. Riffles with larger rocks and boulders seem to be better than simple sand and small gravel areas for protection purposes for baitfish, and sometimes provide ambush points for the flats. Secondly... Flatheads seem to eat heavily on crayfish during the summer. After spawn, they are often looking to replenish nutrients, and energy lost from a grueling spawn, that has worn them down. I used to bring fish home often, placing them in a holding tank overnight till I could get good pictures the next morning. I would come out to see hand fulls of crayfish in the bottom of the tank that they had puked up. Pretty simple to put two and two together. Shallow rocky areas= an abundant supply of crayfish! I also do well during the mid to late summer using smallmouth bass. As we know smallies are notorious for being in or around rocks, or shallows. I'm sure there are many other species in these shallow rocky areas, and every river system has its own species thats more plentyfull. But, one things for sure, the flatheads go to these areas for the same reason... To feed! Goodluck everyone........rollo

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    agree with ya Jason as in my area i have no riffles but below locks are a good bet after the spawn. also most of my areas are the sandy gravel stuff until you get real shallow towards the bank where it is rockier. catch most of my flats really shallow around the rockier spots. good many baitfish there but as you said i think the crawfish are the major draw at this time of year. alot of protein for those post spawners plus the crawfish draw in other species that may be paying more attention on getting their next meal as opposed to becoming something elses dinner.

3. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i hate the spawn i will be very glad to see it end.....RAT

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A nessary evil,,, I get bored to though!

Thanks Rollo-

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good point with the crawfish drawing other species. It may be more on the crawfish than what we think! Something to think about, them lil suckers might be the best option out there during certain situations! rollo

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    great post!! thanks a million, shane

7. Tuckertroop

Tuckertroop New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Totally agree. These rocky areas on the scioto will be on fire in two weeks. Have caught as many as 20 flatheads in a night using this method. It dont last long though, they will be back to the old habits within a week. So hit em quick and hold on tight.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Rollo
    Great info as usual.:wink: It's coming to my favorite time of year for flathead fishing. I love fishing in shallow rocky areas of the lakes and rivers. Tight lines my friend.:wink:

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH

great post, not many people realize that if you find a area with a over abundance of crayfish you will find flatheads (granted the river supports them and is large enough) one of the spots i fish with my buddy steve around this time of year, we sit there and listen to the young flatheads crashing the banks eating crayfish. i have even caught larger flatties on crayfish messing around waiting on it to get dark

10. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    Hey rollo! could you actually put a fish on the hook for me. it would help tons. your posts are always well thought out and very informative. you deserve a medal. thanks

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    my favorite fishing,shallow waters

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have caught my biggest flatheads of the year on smallmouth bass during the post pawn in late July and all of August!

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just need a teenage kid to catch smallies, or bait for that matter for me now during the work week! Can't find enough time to get good bait as often as I used to! rollo

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's great- I have two boys who will jump up and go get a couple dozen gills when I want them!:big_smile:

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jason, I never thought "crayfish" was on the menu of flatheads over 30 pounds till I hooked a 33lber on a 12in crappie a few yrs back. When I reached in its mouth to remove the hook, It was spittin up a 5 inch craw from its gullet.

I was a believer after that.