Post Spawn Funk

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pfunk, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Ive been soaking bait for 2 weeks now, In my best spots, and ive noticed the bites have slowed way down all of a sudden.

Am I getting a taste of the post spawn funk? :crazy:

What ya'll know about this?

2. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    See my first post from Saturday. Same problem here. I would go to a pay lake if I knew what one was!? (Just kidding, but did find the long thread interesting).

Everyone tells me it will get better soon--maybe they are pulling the leg of a newbie? Want to go snipe hunting?

John

3. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Well, i know how it effects the bass, but i wasnt 100% sure about Catfish. Fishing was sooo good during the winter, and beginning of spring, and now i can't even catch 1 for dinner.
    It will pass soon i'm sure, i just wonder how long the funk lasts. This is my first spring dedictated to catching Catfish, so im still learning.

4. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Me too brother--everyone tells me this is normal--but I still think me and the little one are going to hit it tonight!

John

5. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Yea, I'll be doing the same this weekend..

Forge Ahead :wink:

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I also had this same problem with the flats, I thought I could be at my favorite lake and catch them prior to them spawning. water temp was between 74-78.

7. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    If you're not catching fish then change locations. The spawn is just getting underway. Try fishing shallow (less than 3' deep) now along wind-blown banks and points with dip bait, punch bait or shad with either corks or bottom rigs.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I agree. If you are not catching fish in your old spots. Better find some new spots. Fish still have to eat. Just like you and I do.

9. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Mr. Kubin--I am sorry to be so stupid, but what is a "wind blown bank." Is there such a thing on a river? I know what a "point" is I think.

John

10. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Not a stupid question at all. It's really pretty simple though. If you have a south wind blowing, you want to be fishing the north banks where the waves are washing or crashing up onto the shoreline. If you find a main lake point or even secondary point where this occurs if even better. Small pockets along wind-blown banks will also produce fish at times. Fishing the windy side of the lake is not the most comfortable place to fish, but it is usually more productive than the calm side. There are exceptions if you are targetting some specific structure. I don't fish rivers so I can't offer much advice there.