Post Spawn Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jul 6, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The big question has been for the last month or so, "When do they spawn?" And, "When is it over?" The spawn is determined by many factors as we are told, including region we live across the states, weather, water temps, etc. The spawn does not have a date! I have had many ask me as if they are wanting a specific time they do this ritual and when they quit! If it was me, I would spawn 12 months out of the year.:smile2: But, as we know the females would probably have a different opinion:wink: Anyways, like all other fish, flatheads don't all spawn at the same time. Water temps. and weather patterns probably have more influence than any other factor, but all fish react differently to the variables. White-tail deer would be a comparison. They don't all start rutting at the same time to breed! Catfish are the same way. From what I have found, on an average there is around a month to month and a half of really difficult fishing. And, fishing can be really slow during this time. I have tried year after year to pattern these fish during what I think is spawn only to catch a few here or there, and then sit out there all night wondering who stole all the fish from the river! What I have learned is, that once they are done, they seem to be hungry! Just last night in a local tourney I observed many small flatheads in the 3-6 pound range that obviously just came off spawn! So you ask," How can you tell?" Well, these fish look as bad as a sick coon! They usually have big red sores on them, scratches and cuts from the rooting to build a nesting area or fighting with other fish I suppose. I have noticed in years past, it seems the smaller juveniles start picking back up in action first before the adults are being caught regular again. So, the spawn consists of many different things, and I don't even know half about their habits to be able to say anything more. But, I do know the only way you are gonna be able to tell if they are still on spawn or not, is to go fishing! Because you can't catch em' from the couch! goodluck ......rollo

2. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    All the fish we got in the last 2 weeks looked like they had the crap beat out of em. Scratches, scrapes, bruises and a big gouge in 1. I think they might be coming off the spawn up here. The fishing has really been picking up here the past 2 weeks. Can't wait till they are all done and it gets better still.

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    yep your right about one thing for sure their rollo you cant catch em from the couch gonna have to take a vacation just so i can get a chance to go

4. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Appreciate the post, rollo. Good info to know an refresh the memory a little. Thanks

5. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
  6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the post! I get a 2 week vacation the middle of August. Should be prime fishing then!

7. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Hey Jason, would these marks reflect that this fish was spawning.It was caught in may and water temps were around 70.

Attached Files:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The months of august, september, and october are my favorite months to fish.

Mainly because you dont have to worry about any part of the spawn, temps are warm and water levels are usually stable.

during these months I fish the deepest water avalible.

The month of August has probably yielded more good flatheads than any other month for me.-

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i always enjoyed sept and october,the fish can come in fast and heavy at that time of the year gorging themselves getting ready for winter.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rollo mentioned this, oxeygon levels are very important this time of year.
    Usually post spawn and the dog days leaves us with the lowest water levels of the year.

I have one spot that is a hole right below a riffle, it is killer in the late summer early fall.

And if you can get out right after a good rain when the rivers are low the flats will be crusing looking for a meal.

I have waded across riffles at night on the scioto in late summer, and have bumped into many big fish feeding in the shallow riffles, because the riffles create oxeygeon and it draws the bait fish, and in turn draws the flatheads, and channel cats.

Serveral years ago at dusk I watched a flathead chase minnow in a riffle that was no more than 6-8 inches deep.

11. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i caught an 8 pound channel that was badly beaten

poor guy must have an abusive woman

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
  13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    For me I'll wait till very very late Aug, better yet Sept early Oct. It seems to just work better fer me.

:tounge_out:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Steve, I like the fall time better as well.... Esp. late fall!! But, I will be out also until then... just an addiction i guess..:big_smile: rollo

15. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    i fish for flatheads all the time. but for me i like the early months march,april,may just because i can find and catch more flatheads from shore alot more often. that early in the year they are on the move for the first good meals. In my area of the river they are heading for warmer water and that means shallow water! and as a shore fisherman thats great news. i like to target feeder creeks and shallow ledge's that are near deep holes. Also the spring brings alot of high water and that is prime creekmouth fishing! when the water starts to warm the catfish move back into the deeper parts of the river and its harder to catch the big boys from shore

16. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Ok, I did not get any answer to if the cat I caught had marks on it from spawning!!!!! Really would like to know if any of you guys can tell by the red marks on the kittie. :0a35: PICTURE IN FRAME #7

17. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    A F

I've caught them in Sept with similar red marks. It maybe or not??? Seen them in early Aug where they look like they were ran over by a boat and prop about 5 times...that I would guess was the spawn!!!!!!

:0a26:

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I had a good year of observing the spawning season. Reason is, people like Rollo have put up some great info on the subject. So I knew what to look for already.

On my normal lake , Hartwell I observed the spawning cats in detail. What I saw here was in certain spots we fished.....the shallower, warmer spots, these fish were spawning first. The deeper and closer to the dam ( cooler water ) they were spawning later. We move a lot because we chase Stripers thus giving me access to a lot of information on different areas of the lake. Now on Hartwell lately I haven't seen any spawning cats at all, they are about done and healing, color turning brighter again.

Cool part here...........I went down below the Dam this week ( lake Russell ), this holds the colder water than above the dam, and yep, you guessed it, they are in full spawn.

Now this is my 1st year of really taking notes and making all efforts to learn our spawning patters but this was how it worked here.

Now next year I plan on taking full advantage of what I learned. I can now have a better idea on what end of our lake to fish. I can chase pre-spawning cats all the way down and then go back up and chase the post spawning fish. Basically I'm gonna avoid all the spawning fish as much as I can ; )

-Jim-

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they are starting to be caught more and more around here again. Im getting some reports from friends on the action picking back up some.. and how beat up they are...good luck....rollo

20. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I've been catching beat up flats for 3 weeks now, some looked like someone caught em and hung em from a tree and beat em with a ball bat then tossed em back in. I'd say they are coming off the spawn now cause the past few times out action was pretty fast. Thursday night we had a line out 15 minutes and had a 37 lb slam it like he aint ate in a year.