Post MIlford Mini Thread

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Grimpuppy, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I started a new thread for pictures of the Mini.

If you missed it, you missed on some of the best food you have ever had. Charlies chicken was to die for. Kevin's Sausage was heavenly. Ray's Ham was the best ham I will probably ever eat. And if you were at the lead pour, the pulled pork was even better this time if you can believe that. I do not know who cooked the beans, but a big thank you and an apology to everyone else :smile2:. They truly are the magical fruit. Was great to see everyone again and meet some new people. There is not a better time to be had than to hang with a great group of guys. I had a great time and want to thank everyone that came and dared to hang out with us. Thanks to Chris for the cutting boards and knives, they are awesome.

The fishing was pretty dang good. There were some nice fish caught from the bank and from boats. Keith and I braved the waves Friday night and went out. It was hit and miss while we drifted. Keith had one slam his pole and start peeling out drag and then broke off #30 line. That would have been a nice fish. Keith has his drag set tighter than most and it didn't even slow him down. We ended up with four eaters for the night. Went out Saturday morning and anchored up to fish for a couple hours before the lunch buffet was served. After about an hour I have one pole that has been acting funny. Never bent over but as the boat would swing when the line should be slack it would tighten up. Played it off as the wind playing tricks on me. Twenty minutes later my other pole barely bends down and doesn't come back up. I pick it up and set the hook and the fight was on. This fish didn't move. Was a great fight and 10 minutes later I got him in the boat. I forgot my scale in the truck so we decided to real in and head to the dock fast to weigh him and release him. I started reeling my other pole in that was acting funny for 20 minutes and I could feel it dragging across the anchor line then it wouldn't move. I told Larry pull up the anchor and unsnag me. After he gets it up I ask him to unhook me from it and he said you are not hooked on the anchor line. I pull up but the line doesn't budge and then he takes off. Another fight and we put 2 nice fish in the boat in minutes. I call Tom and telling we are heading in with 2 nice fish bring the cameras and a scale. We hauled but to the boat ramp and got them weighed. The first one went I think #37 but I can't remember for sure and the other one was #27. If some one else remembers for sure what the bigger one weighed let us know. I had a lot running through my head and don't remember if that is the right weight. It was in the 30's though. After high fives and congrats, they were turned lose. We stayed around and helped one of them out that was having trouble diving, but we got him straitened out. After lunch we head back out and ended up with two eaters and Larry caught a nice #20 blue. That one absolutely slammed the rod. That ended up being our last fish. I did have one more on that after about 15 seconds of pulling drag came unhooked. He would have been a nice fish also.

Once again thanks to everyone for the food, hospitality and good company.

BTW Tornado Warning right now for Clay county North of Wakefield down to Milford. Take cover Jim. Nasty weather out today guys. Stay Safe. We were the last to leave the lake today about 1:00 so everyone should be home.

Attached Files:

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    More Pics

Attached Files:

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The two big ones being released and Larry's #20 that was also released.

Attached Files:

4. duane kingsbury

duane kingsbury New Member

State:
    kansas
    hey jay those were some really nice blues. Did you get them on shad? I left about 530 for home and made it safe. Sure had alot of fun meeting everyone. With this rain today it should really help the lake level. I am going to try to go agaiin in the next couple of weeks and would really like to hook up with you again, the weather is getting better every week. I think the best fishing is yet to come. see you soon. Duane p.s. I will wear my overhauls so you can reconize me.lol

5. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Very nice and great job Jay. Them big blues are a lot of fun. I hope I can get on some Thursday when Im down.

I have an open seat in the boat, if anyone is wanting to go this Thursday. I will be leaving my house (in Topeka) around 5:00am. Shoot me a pm or give me a call. 785-215-9493.

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    They were all caught on shad Duane. Would love to hook up with you again. Never seen a guy look so different that you just by wearing a pair of overalls! I got Guards next weekend, but I should be at the lake the weeknd after.

Thanks CJ. Would love to get out on the water with ya but I have to miss Friday at work for Guards, so there isn't much chance of getting off Thursday. Someone should jump at the chance to get out there with him. H's got a real comfy boat.

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Thanks for the pics. Jay. I wish I could have stayed longer but it was gettin a little chilly and the little one was ready to go. Can't wait till June.

PS, The boat sold today :sad2:. So I'll ask now. Can I fill a seat durring the gathering for a little while?

Later,
    Chris.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Those were some great fish Jay. The jerky wasnt too bad either.:wink:
    It was a great time, as always. But they do keep gettin better.:cool2:
    The fishin was better than any other gathering I have been to and so was the food. What a variety.
    Fresh cats, some crappie, morels, chicken and hushpuppies made a great luch Fri. Then biscuits and gravy started Sat. off right. Then I had to wait for the BBQ all day.:smile2: It was worth it.:wink:
    Sausage, pulled pork, ham, chicken, and beans made a feast for an early dinner Sat. Charlie and Ray, that was some good eatin.
    Im probably forgettin something, but it was all good.
    It was nice to meet some new members and see all my friends again. We sure know how to have a great time.

I will post pics as soon as I can. There arent a whole lot.:sad2:
    You can thank Ashley for the ones that were taken.:smile2:
    Thanks Tom for everything you done and for the good pics I know you took. You always do a great job at that.

9. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wish I could have stayed longer so I could have met more people, but it was nice seeing the new faces and those already met again. Those were some really nice fish Jay, congrats! I couldn't buy a bite in the time I was there. Going to make sure to bring a selection of bait next time, instead of just shrimp. Learning about "hydrogenated" was interesting. :smile2:

I'd love to go CJ, but I have school that day. Although the offer is very tempting. :wink:

10. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Kyle, I think I got your stringer from the mini. Thanks for all the fish. (Now I
    feel like a dolphin from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe!) My 6lb blue, your
    9lb channel both scratched a couple of shallow furrows on my hands for being
    too slow, serves me right for not wearing gloves. Nice Wiper, Ashley; a lot
    of good meat on a 7lber, the fillets are way bigger than any of my fry pans.
    The 2lb channel was too far gone when I got to it, gills were going gray and
    the eyes were going sort of misty. There was also a wiper that ran around
    three pound that I filleted which made the pile of fillets fill a tin one use
    roaster pan that Ray gave me. Thanks for the use of your cutting board
    Charlie! Now my freezer is a little less empty and I open it up from time
    to time to admire the veiw.

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Can you imagine how much fun we would have if the weather would cooperate? :wink::smile2:
    Thanks EVERYONE for making this such a fun event. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to Melvern in June.

Honorable mention to Michael, for being the last to leave doing a final cleanup, and walk through. Thanks Mike, your efforts are appreciated.

12. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Thanks for posting all this.Sounds like a lot of fun and some real good fish but I bet the wind beat you up.

13. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    those are some dandy's Jay!!nice work!!

Kyle,what did you think of the morrels?were they all they were cracked up to be?

sounds like everybody ate like kings,as usual.wish i could've made it,just not enough days to a weekend:sad2:looking forward to seeing everyone in june

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Michael, did I leave Kyle's stringer when we left:confused2:, I thought I put it in the back of my truck, but, if you say you have it, I'm sure you do. I remember it was laying on the bench seat where we were. Thanks for picking it up. Next time I come through Ogden, I'll get it from you, as I'll probably see Kyle before you do.

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Everyone I had a blast...There was some very nice fish caught and although i didn't catch any it was nice to just see those fish caught.

The food was outstanding and i want to say thanks to all that did the cooking.We all know its a lot of work and we all apprecate it very much.

Ray thanks to your wife and you for being the host at your camp site setting all the tables up and for prepairing everything.
    Kevin & Bryan and Charlie thanks for all the food and Charlie like alwas wipped up some of the best smoked meat there is.

My son Aaron said to say thanks to everyone.He had a great time.
    He said he never been around that big of group of the most friendly people.

I will post picture tonight.......Thanks again everyone,cant wait for the next one.

16. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Caleb, them morels were delicious! They went great with the cats and crappie. They look a lil funny but taste really good.
    Thanks Tom, for bringin those so I could try them.
    Michael, you can have the stringer, I have another one.
    Thanks again to EVERYONE for coming and making it a big success.
    Especially the cooks.:wink::smile2::smile2:

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Sorry I forgot to take alot of pics. I always do.
    Here is what I have.

Attached Files:

18. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Some more

Attached Files:

19. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I think this is it

Jay, when I get that video I will post it up.:wink:
    Tom, cant wait to see what pics you got.

Attached Files:

20. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I think I have some good ones.I have one really good one of you i will save for the last picture:smile2::wink:

Thanks for posting your picture's Kyle. I awas injoy looking at all the pic after these gathering.