Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Possibly Could Have Been New World Record Flathead

4K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  WylieCat 
#1 ·
Here Is A Picture Of A Flathead That Was Caught At Santee Cooper That Probably Could Have Shattered State And World Record Except It Was Caught On A Trott Line Found It Online Dont Know How Much It Weighed But From Picture I Figure By Windows In Shop To Be At Least 5ft Long.

#7 ·
it's still a pretty cool picture.

#10 ·
two things i see wrong for sure. the guys head looks wide like his verticle measurement was shrunk.

two amd the most important thing is the clothes hes wearing and the ice auger in the background and the outside looks like snow. flatheads go dormant when the water goes below 40ish degrees. ive got a video of a diver that is poking at a nest of flathead in 35 degree water and they simply don't move. if ya ever hear of fellas jigging for flathead in the winter thier snagging. plane and simple.

#18 ·
cats4uandme said:
two things i see wrong for sure. the guys head looks wide like his verticle measurement was shrunk.

two amd the most important thing is the clothes hes wearing and the ice auger in the background and the outside looks like snow. flatheads go dormant when the water goes below 40ish degrees. ive got a video of a diver that is poking at a nest of flathead in 35 degree water and they simply don't move. if ya ever hear of fellas jigging for flathead in the winter thier snagging. plane and simple.
actually that snagging thing isn't so true... there is an In-Fisherman Video segement on jigging winter flats... they said something like 80 % of the fish caught are hooked in the mouth... now i don't know about you but thats a pretty large proportion for something that i can barely do if im watching the fish in a tank or instead of 25ft+ down in the water...

As for that picture... thats not a bad merger at all... looking at a better quality copy of it thats been floating around it looks like the fish was placed closer to the camera then shot with a wide angle lens to make it seem larger..

Bass Pro did the same thing with their photo of a catfisherman using a catmaxx rod making the fish seem HUGE and it really wasn't too huge, large yes but not huge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.