Possible project - Save Me!!

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BKS72, Jan 30, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Now that I'm getting to the end of my refit of my boat, there is an OLD fishing trawler looking boat on some abandoned property near me. It's old enough that the hull has the actual lapped wood on it. It's got a wheel house and looks to be about 20', but it could be bigger. The wheel house makes it look shorter. Looks like it would draw a lot of water as well. It's on a trailer but of course the outboard has the L/U scavenged off of it. I'm really getting the itch to go to the courthouse, see who the registered owner of the property is (or was till they let the taxes go delinquent) and see if they wouldn't mind me getting the boat off their property.

The paint still looks like it might have kept serious rot from happening on the outside, but I haven't actually gotten out of the car and seen how bad of shape the inside is in. I realize this will cost me bigtime in both my wife's patience as well as some serious cash in materials, but it's really driving me nuts looking at that thing just sitting there. I keep getting this image of it on the MO river with a brand-spanking new coat of haze gray paint on it and rods hanging off the back....................and the sun shining off the brass bell that would HAVE to be hanging off the roof of that wheel house by the back door...................

You guys really need to tell me how crazy I am for even thinking of getting out of the car and looking at this thing.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey, looking is free! Sounds like she might be BIG project though.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, but once I get out of the car, I know how I am. It's like picking up a puppy you have no intentions of bringing home:eek:oooh: It would be a big project, and a long one. Dunno how long it could stay in the yard and I could stay married while I work on it:smile2:

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Branden, come to Oklahoma, instead.

We can drink, and talk, and then drink some more.

Everything will be okay...you can beat this. Promise.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The only problem with a boat like that is you really dont know what you've got until you've got it.
    You cant tell much unless you can get under the floor.

A sharp awl or ice pick is a must have.
    the outside may look good. It gets wet and dries.
    The bilge may be an entirely different scenario. Damp and stays damp.
    If the guts are rotted out doesnt mean its a total loss. Frames and planks are replaced all the time.

This is along the lines of my retirement boat but she'll be more in the 28-30 foot range.

http://www.by-the-sea.com/archdavisdesign/davis_jiffy22.html

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Branden I've seen a lot of old wooden hull boats like that which were so rotten you could stick a screw driver thrugh the hull.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its going to come down to how much you are willing to put into it labor wise and money.
    Another possibility if you are in love with the design of the hull is get that boat, tear it apart and use it as a pattern for a new one. Seen that done with rare wooden boats that are too far gone. The original builder was dead and his plans nonexistant.

Basicly thats where we get the plans from the famous Simmons Sea Skiff today. Plenty of them around but there wasnt any workable plans.
    Simmons is dead and the plans were in his head.
    So today there is a group of people all over the world that build their own Simmons skiffs. They even have a annual gathering down in Bobpaul country.

You could even be looking at Simmons Sea Skiff and not know it.

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    snap some pics of it for us... i know i would like to see it..

9. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like a good project let us know what you end up doing.

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Go for it branden,wont beable to help with money , but i can help you rebuild it ,that would be cool on the mo river.

11. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    that much time spent on a project means less time on the river fishing.

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Branden..... here is a 22 foot Simmons Sea Skiff that looks ready to go for $7500.00, finished in 2004, 1998 outboard.

It would be a cool river boat for sure, especially in inclement weather!

Heck, now I want one!

Attached Files:

13. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey, i liked this boat so much I grabbed the rest of the pics to post. Enjoy Branden (and others). Cool Boats, thanks for the tip Mark!:big_smile:

Attached Files:

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's actually a pretty awesome looking river boat for $7500, with the cabin for the weather and all of that open space in the back.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I like that one as well.
    The history of that boat is interesting to read and can be read online.
    When the boats were originally built most of them were not powered.
    They were 18 footers and used in commercial fishing. They were ROWED offshore. Even the 18 footer will take bad sea conditions.

Its one of those smaller boats that will get the job done.
    I love the uniqueness of it now considering it is a hull known around the world. the only ways to own one is to find an original and restore it, hire a builder to build you one, or build it yourself.

Over 3 issues in the fall of 2006 Ellis Rowe (one of my building heroes from NC) built an 18 footer in his boatshop in Maine and chronicled it. It was an 18 footer with a forward side console. It was for sale without an engine for 12,500 I think. I would have loved to have had it just because it was one of the last boats if not last boat of that size Ellis built. He died shortly after those issues ran.

16. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have 2 words for you:
    RUN AWAY!!!!

17. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Didn't that old ship lap construction have oakum rope stuffed in the cracks. Seems like that type construction has to stay in the water to swell up the boards so they don't leak. A real pain in the BUTT.

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks guys. I'll take a closer look - I'm not kidding about the property being derelict, I shouldn't have any issues getting on it and climbing around. As soon as I step aboard and my foot goes through the rotten deck and hull I'll return to my senses and forget about it:smile2:

It does have similar lines to that Simmons skiff, but I don't think it is one. And yes, Darryl, I could probably buy the one you posted cheaper than what my time and materials would come to in restoring one, but the work would've been done by someone else, completetly taking the fun out of it for me. :wink: It's not so much about the type of boat as it is seeing that one sitting there all broke down and forgotten and wanting to get it cleaned up and back on the water if you can dig that. I'll post up some pix of it when I get back to KC this weekend and get a chance to check it out. If it's not buried in snow:sad2:

19. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Brander, run and run sa fast as you can. I started a project about 4yrs. ago am just about finished it was trade about 500.00 just to start. It was in good shape as far as solidhad to fix motor, carpet, 4seats,depth finders. it is a good boat now it was a snow ball ti probably cost 3500.00 to fix just estimate it is rdeal good now lit is diffrent from buying one you are prouder of it it is just that way. thanks Sam
    Davis

20. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Branden, that's the best advice you will ever get!:wink:

Nothing is more expensive than a "free" boat! You most likely could buy a nice new boat for what that old boat would end up costing you. Have you priced what you and your wife's divorce lawyers would cost you? :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::wink:

Bill