possible problems with overheating

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 29, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well last fall me and my cousin were fishing and a storm came up. we fired up the motor and took off to the marina. motor started slowing down and loosing speed. i watched the gas guage. looked ok. then it just kept slowing. i put it in neutral. it died. the motor started smoking and was real hot. discolored paint on head. we used trolling motor to get to safety. barley,lol.

so i get it home. hit key and it sounded weird. my neighbor is a mechanic. he put a compression test on the plug hole. 33%. we took off head. there was a burnt spot in gasket between cylinders. its a 89 2 cylinder force 50hp. so we to just test put some good gasket sealer on gasket he had and put it back togather. hit key and pop fired up immed and seemed to sound fine but i shut if off 3-4 seconds later to keep from anymore damage from heat.

he looked at inside of cylinders as did his brother who works at an equiptment center working on small motors. crosshatch looked good and no piston damage no damage from pistons on cyl walls. nothing was black or burnt looking except for head paint on outside.

now i need a gasket and the new impellor i put in in the spring obviously needs replaced along with housing and wear plate. must have lost suction. i should have put housing and plate on last year. i thought i was getting it all but when it came just impellor. thought it would last another year.

so my Q is anything on an outboard i should watch or lookfor after an overheat? any things i should check before fixing it? since it started right up i would think it will be ok but im not the expert. just want to be safe in getting it back on the water without doing more damage if theres some things to check first.

thanks in advance. keeping my fingers crossed. i know its hard to diagnose and know all the ticks without seeing. they both seemed to think i got lucky with only a blown gasket. and it sounded ok up to when it died. no pops or bangs or clicks and it didnt seaze.

just thought i would ask if theres anything special i might want to check over that may be important.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think once you replaced the gaskets and water pump you should be in good condition. Why not ask BubbaKat as to how to put a water temperature and water pressure gauge on your outboard. I put them on my evinrude, but don't know about a Force.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya a temp guage would be a great idea. and probably easy and cheap to install.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    As for a pressure gage you can tie into the pee hose if it has one. You can use a regular automotive temp gage on it just getr an L bracket that can be drilled to accomadate the temp sender and fasten it to the head useing one of the head bolts and set it where the temp sensor will just touch the head and it will give you the temp of the head. I always use the right head on v4 and v6 motors.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this is just a twin 50 hp. thanks. ill look into one tonight at autozone if there still open. or maybe wal-mart has em. i would like to be safe from now on. this motor has ran real well and i dont want to ruin it if it still runs ok after i get her fixed.

6. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I had 83 35hp rude had some problem with it had replace impeller housing and the thermastat . that fixed it hope this helps:big_smile::big_smile:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i got my parts today. i screwed up on impellor kit but head gasket was fine. got it bolted down today and she fired up and purred like a kitten. for the 30 seconds i let it idle. cant run long without the water pump.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    now i just need to send the impellor kit back and get the right one. i should be in good shape. i tried it again later and fired at first crank. sounds just like it did before it blew,lol. or burnt up. so i think the motor is ok. i need a new housing and the wear plate and all. im gonna do it 100% so ill be like mew in the cooling part. and after a temp guage. ill have a lil ins.:cool2: