possible problem?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by flatheadhunterx, Feb 10, 2008.

1. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was on the water yesterday and may have a problem arising. I went to move to another area and my boat acted like it was taking off kinda slow then all of a sudden it just reved up really high kinda like it jumped into nuetral. I stopped the boat and tried to take off again and it started to move fine got up to about 5 mph then it done it again. shut the boat off and checked to see if the prop was loose but it wasnt restarted boat and it didnt do it antmore the rest of the day. anyone have any ideas what could have caused this. last yr I lost a prop going across the water and had to get that replaced but no other problems since. to is a 75 johnson and it is on a 20 ft toon thx for any help or ideas.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've had a couple of similar problems (1980 75 Evinrude). Both were (luckily) linkage issues. I lost both gears and it was the connection at the bottom of the motor where the shift linkage attaches to the top of the shift rod. That piece is a bear to get to, but if you look at the bottom side of your motor with the cowl off and have somebody shift the motor you can see the part I'm talking about. There's a 1/4 - 20 bolt that holds the linkage collar tight to the shift rod. Could be anywhere in the linkage, just have somebody shift for you while you watch the linkage and you may find it easily. Look for any loose hardware or bolts/nuts laying in the bottom of the cowling that might have fallen out.

The other was on a 1980 something Merc. I lost reverse. Turned out to be that the shift cable had worked loose in the control box. Hope it's something simple!

Branden