Possible Next Gun: Remmington Tactical 1100

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by H2O Mellon, Sep 16, 2007.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm looking for another tactical shotgun. I've made or buitl up several Mossberh 500's and/or Winchester 1300' into home defense or tactical shotguns. I'm now looking into doing the same w/ an autoloader. I really like the new Remmington 1100 Tacticals. I've seen them between $700-900. Here's the thing I'm battling: My local gun store has a new in the box, 870 Tactial for $399! That's almost $200 less than other gun shops, OR they have a 870 home defense (not w/ the tactical stock) on sale for $309 w/ a $30 rebate! Another down side to the 1100 is that it's 2 3/4 only, not 3 inch. I could go w/ an H&K Tactical for $600-700 (used) that is 3 inch.

Decisions, decisions....... :roll_eyes:

2. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    spas 12
    Is the best I have seen.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bryan,

I like them all! Let us know what you go with?

Try and get him to deal on a Knoxx SpecOps recoil-compensation stock, they are sweet!

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, I've seen those & those seem GREAT. I'd love to have one.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I Was issued a 1100 tactical by the dept. I was at the range with it and it broke on me. I was sent to a FBI tactical school involving shotguns and carried my 1100 and after the first 3 shots it broke again. I went back to my cruiser and go my old 870 tactical out and that is what I still use as a defense weapon at home and while clearing buildings. I turned the 1100 back in and as far as I know its still setting in the armory room. You can't beat that ol 870 in my book.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I sat down my "tactical" coffee mug to post that the 870 home defense is all you need, and has the option with different barrels to be all that it can be.
    Always when thinking of defense as a civilian....picture yourself in a court room being judged by 12 of your nonpeers. When they see the "Doom" model unit you had nearby for "just in case"....they aren't gonna beleive you. Also the police officers I see at the range really don't shoot any better than we do, with all the bells and whistles.
    Also you are a young fella. When you are setting up your home security remember the 20ft. rule. Within that distance someone who knows what they are doing with a blade...can take you. And vice versa. I like the versa part myself. If I was going to spend extra money, it would be for steel, not plastic. And you don't have to worry as much about blades as firearms in the home. The Seal team, and Seal team pup, or even the ol Kabar are cheap insurance.
    Have an uneventful life, with luck. But being prepared is prudent.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bootshowl,

This is one that I can't agree w/ ya on.

#1.) Don't bring a knife to a gun fight, I think that's the old saying. If someone is @ 20ft and coming at me w/ a knife and I have my 12 ga loaded / 00 buck, he's not going to win. (Now if we're talking outside the home, it may be a bit difference but I'm licensed to carry and I carry a firearm rather than a knife, for much of the same purposes.)

#2.) I'll take my chances w/ the 12 in the jury. (The dead intruder that broke in my home to kill my kids, my wife and/or I won't have much of an aliby.) :wink: I'm not going to put my families lifes in danger becasue I'm affraid I'll get a raw deal from a jury. That would not be fair to my family. IMy jon a a husband and father is to protect them from evil doers.

#3.) You can have all the steel you want and even though my gun may be part plastic it's the nine lead 00 pellets coming out that I'm going to be protecting my family and myself with. :smile2::big_smile:

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I want an Auto Assault 12 12ga full auto with a 20 round drum mag.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Bryan we don't disagree. Hope my post didn't offend ya, not my intent. I'm just saying buckshot is buckshot, whatever it comes out of. And tactical is knowing what your plan is ahead of time. Not the gun. Where are the other members of your family when the game is on? Do you have a lengthy hallway where you can offer a challange ? Or is it under 20ft. and you see a knife. Sorry dirtbag, too close. Has the threat placed himself in a position where you cannot use the load in the firearm you are using, for the safety of other members of your family. That's tactics. Having a weapon in position when you need it; tactical. In my home are two firearms, but also two knives of fighting quality.
    Thinking is tactical. Guns are guns.

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heck no, I didn't take it like that at all.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dang man, check out the pic of the kid shooting the Auto Assault 12. That's a full auto 12 ga and he's handeling it w/ ease.

[​IMG]

http://www.defensereview.com/article741.html

I think I'll stick w/ a pump or semi auto though! Of coarse the AA12 is Police or Military only. I would love to shoot one just to see what it's like though.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do you guys remember those 12 ga's that really did come w/ the drum mags about 15 years ago? I think they were called street sweepers or something like that.

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd deffinitely go with the 870 for a number of reasons. They're smooth, and fast, faster than an auto as you don't have to wait on the action to cycle. I've shot dosier drills faster with my 870 than with my Beretta 1201FP "Tactical". I've got experience with the 1100 "tactical". They've got a problem with them. Their gas ports are made to shoot the heavier buckshot and slug loads. If you want to shoot lighter loads for training and practice, then you have to open them up. Once you open them up, if you use te heavier loads in them, then you'll beat the gun to death.

They're also alot slower to clear a jam in. Also, since they're carried in the car with the chamber empty and magazine loaded, you can catch the charging handle on something when retrieving it in a hurry, and lose the handle before you can get the round chambered. I've actually seen this happen a couple of times, once with my Beretta while someone was shooting at my car.

It's just hard to beat an 870. You can find anything for them to fix em up like you want it. Just be careful of getting caught up in the "Tactical" craze. It's not an item, it's short for "stealthy and cunning". Just because they painted it black and put velcro on it, doesn't necessarily mean it's got a usefull purpose other than making the seller money. Put some practical thought into it before you spend hard earned money on it.

14. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Bryan I can't remember who made the "street sweeper" but I do remember it had a 12 round fixed mag,12 shots and you had to reload the shotgun.I don't know about you but I sure wouldn't want to be using a slow to load weapon in CQB.I think I will just stick with my old 500 Mossburg riotgun because I know what it will do..

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I didnt realize they had a fixed mag. They were alittle before my adult time. I can see how they'd be a pain in the rear!

16. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Bryan they have come out with a few auto shotguns that looked good but just wouldn't work out worth a dang in combat.That's what I like about the AA12,it works!! if the Gov would buy it and the frag rounds it would be the best thing for our guys in the feild sence the M1.

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  18. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Uploaded mine in my profile picture, I had her last time I was in Iraq. Her name was, "Pookie". :roll_eyes: