Possible New World Record

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Supafox, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    I get Fur-Fish-Game in the mail.I just got the August issue yesterday.There is an article in the News & Note from the Outdoors section titled A Bullhead for the Books the article says:

A yellow bullhead caught over Memorial Day weekend shattered the Missouri state record and is expected to be verified as a new world record.John Irvin was crappie fishing at Old Drexel Lake,south of Kansas City,when he caught the big bullhead.
    "My cork went down,and I set the hook and pulled that thing up through the moss,"Irvin was quoted in a release.It took a moment to identify the 6-pound, 6-ounce bullheadbecause he had never befor seen one that large.
    In fact, as far as record books show, no one else had either.The previous Missouri record weighed 5-pounds, 13-ounces. The International Game Fish Association and the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame both recognize the smaller fish as world records.
    Irvin fished the same lake the next two days and landed two more yellow bullheads that dragged his pocket scale down to the 6-pound mark.He didn't bother having them officially weighed, scince they fell short of his first record catch. Irvin knew people might not believe such a fish story, so he kept all three of the big bullheads alive in a fish basket in a cistern at his home.
    "I don't know what it is about that lake,"the realease quoted conservation agent Phil Needham, who offically weighed Irvin's fish on certified scales."Maybe conditions there just favor bullheads, or maybe it is genetics."
    Irvin thinks maybe a lack of fishing pessure has something to do with it.
    "This old lake has been there for ages," he said, "and it's pretty well growed up with cattails and stuff. You can't hardly get into it to fish.Alot of people don't fish it anymore."
    That may change.
    That is a big bullhead and I just want to say congatulations to Mr. Irvin.

2. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Wow, congrats to him. That's a big ol' bullhead.

3. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Thanks brother that's a big bullhead. I would like to see one that big.

:cat:

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Wow, they make great bait. Imagine what you can catch with a nice 5#'r. Dont want to fish with the record, LMAO.

5. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    A 5 lber for bait Tea? Sounds like you are looking for a triple digit fish. Good luck. If you get a runner hope you have some help . . . :eek:oooh:

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    TEA eats his bait.:eek:oooh:
    PEte

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO Bill, I am happy to just catch a fish. But heck, might as well try to catch a monster if you are on the water in the right area.

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Unfortunately it was caught in missouri where the state law says you can't use a bullhead over 5" for bait. :( not like I would use one that big, but 8" would work.

9. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    thats a huge bullhead

congrats to that guy

thanks for sharing

Jeff

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey tea its funny you said that this year i cought a 5 1/2 pound gold eye then in the same hole the same day i cought a 4 3/4 pounder used them both as bait then found out the next day either one of them would have been a state record their was a thread earlier call what is luck,now thats luck lol lol

11. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    It was caught on pole and line, the 5 1/2" lenght limit applies to bait taken by seine, net or trap. I always thought we had that size limit but the Conservation Dept. said there is no size limit when taken by pole and line. Just think of all the bait you released in the past, a kick in the tail is'nt it.

12. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    thats quite a bullhead. but its still a bullhead. bait steelers.

13. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bullhead are still catfish tho. Besides if you can catch awhole mess of them then you will have some good fishing bait.

Dave

14. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Ive never used them for bait. I learn something new every time i get on here. finally something a bullhead is good for. (Purely my own opinion) and now for my disclaimer..... The views and opinions expressed by elalr are not always consistant with the views of ... well ... most sane people, so, please dont take offense to the statements made by elalr for I am generally not smart enough to know better. Thank you and have a good afternoon.