Possible new Product----Want your Input

Discussion in 'WILD WOLF TACKLE' started by akwolf41, Feb 22, 2007.

1. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Boc Members;

I fish for big Fish normally and occasionally I might catch one. LOL I have had the problem like a lot of I am sure others have and that is the fish loads up the rod and when you fially go to set the hook---You miss him. I have always called that biting short. I do know a lot of the members use stinger hooks to resolve this common problem. I lived in Alaska for 8 years and fished for King Salmon on the Kenia River up there and when fishing with cured roe we would alway use what we called a 2 hook rig. It worked great because if they hit it you had em and most of the time on the 2nd hook. I know this will work the same way for catfishing. I am tieing up some leaders for this spring fishing and thought I would get everyones opinion. I have attached a couple of pics showing the rig. The one I tied has a 10/0 Kahle Primary hook and a 7/0 Kahle 2nd Hook. Give me youur input on hook sizes and whatever you think. This particular setup is what I will be using this summer. I may start offering thes leaders on the Wild Wolf Products Site if there is good interest. they are tied with snells.

Thanks for your input in advance:

Gene

Attached Files:

2. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I seen a video where a guy did that on the mississippi river and had good sucess with it. he did it when he used a big bait and wanted more hooks in his bait.

3. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i have heard of ppl doing the same thing....i looks good im sure ppl will get them and enjoy the new found success

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    looks good to me. I've tried tying on stinger hooks before with a small treble being the stinger but with my limited knot tying skills, it was an annoying experience that never got them all the same length. I think your onto something. Just keep a few of us who arent blessed with monster catwaters in mind when releasing your product line please.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Looks and sounds like a really good idea.Especially for really BIG bait.
    How far are the hooks apart? I probably missed that part.

6. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Gene, love the idea. Lot's of people use 2-hook rigs for walleye. I'd like to see smaller sized hooks for those of us who fish primarily for channel cats. Thanks.

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    We use a rig like that for shark here. I see no reason for it not to work for cats.

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Gene the two hook rig looks good, if you could make them a bit smaller maybe offer some with treble hooks. I can also usit for halibut or lingcod fishing asawell as for catfish. I want to wish you all the luck in the world and you can count on my support.

Jaime

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Theres an In-Fisherman article on using the 2-hook rigs for Flatties this month.I think it`s a great idea as you can hook the live bait with the smaller hook so that they live longer and you have the option on hooking them in different places without them going into shock.I think the only downfall is that in heavy cover...your percentage rate for snags increases.Let us know how it works...

10. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    John:

the setup Pics that I posted, the part of the hook that is in the bait is aprox 3 1/4" apart. Which should be about right for large live shad or large cut skipjack. The leader length is 3 feet.

Guys:

If I do this I would make these available in smaller hook sizes also and different lines tests. Your suggestions on hook sizes you use let me see that in your posts, also types of hooks.

Jaime;

I doubt if I make any with trebles. I just hate trebles but I do understand that some people like them.

One cannot make them in all different types of hooks as that would become a nightmare on this end. LOL Kahles and Octopus would probably be it but lets see what you all say. The customer needs to dictate his wants and I will take it from there.

Thanks to all of you that have posted;

Gene

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks Gene! That set-up sounds exactly what I'd be interested in.Thanks for helping all us out and all you do for the BOC!!!

12. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I would loved to be able to buy Pre-fabbed snelled cirle and khale hooks in the 6/0-8/0 size as long as they have heavy line, 40-60lbs mono. I'm really lazy and tying snells kicks my a$$. If your rig were to be offered in the sizes listed above with heavy line I would be a regular customer.

13. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Wonderful design. As i too am not skilled in knots, (get it), is there any way to make the length between the two hooks adjustable so 1 rig can be used for a range of bait sizes -practicality- or would you designate single units in size categories determined by bait selection -marketability-?

Dru.

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The fact that both hooks appear to be tied with a snell knot is a plus. Not to sound disrespectfull but. How big of an audience do ya think will purchase them instead of doin it themselves? Also off the top of my bald head it seems like ya will be tiein up a lot of dollars in inventory just in hook sizes and line for leaders. JMO.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good thought BG.He probably gets a good deal on bulk hooks and line.Ya never know.Not all of us are as good as you at snelling a double hook leader...:wink: I would probably/most likely be interested depending on the cost.I'm no good at snelling myself,I've tried it. LOL!

16. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    A master craft brought to the general public should have a price consistent with the quality. From the looks of it, i'll never be able to afford one!

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    40 to 60lb mono for leaders shouldn't be to expensive. You can buy the eagle claw 7/0 nickle plated kahles for around $5.00 for 50 hooks about 10 cents per hook and the eagle claw 10/0 black king kahles for $13.95 for 50 hooks about 28 cents per hook. So that would be 38 cents per rig for hooks + Line + labor = ?. So the supplies wouldn't be to much overhead but is the demand there to make it worth the time and money invested?
    I have never used a stinger hook for catfishing but if I you like locking your reels down then it would be a good idea. Especially on bigger baits. How many times have you had your rod load up then all of a sudden it popped back up and no fish and usually no bait. the fish will lip the bait and go on a run to kill the bait then get that second chomp to get the whole bait and hook in its mouth. Thats one of the reasons I always use my clickers and with bigger baits give them a little more run time before setting the hook.

18. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    I appreciate all of the posts that you guys are making on this thread. A lot of good comments so far. The price per rig, I haven't played with that yet as I need to get some prices on hooks and etc. I have the bags and the sealing machine and labels. First Class USPS shipping is not too bad. I did check out some rigs on Catfish connection that were simular size hooks, but only 1 hook leaders and they sell them for $2.75 for 2 leaders.

Big George:

I know that in most cases, fishermen will tie their own rigs, But there are tons of rigs sold out there in the marketplace. Catfish Connection sells our other products and this is one product that I could add to our product line through them also.

Wyocatman;

If I do decide to offer these as a product, I would have to limit just how many variations that would be available or I would be more insane than I currently am. LOL

Thanks Guys;

Gene

19. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gene, I would be interested in some of these. My preference would be Gamakatsu Octopus and Eagle Claw King Kahle with at least a 50 lb. leader. I could have used some of them this past weekend at the Cumberland City Fish and Camp.

20. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Gene, I have already made up a few simillar rigs with circles, mostly for both ends of a bluegill -one on each side, I am curious how long the leaders are inbetween hooks, it look s like a lot of extra line around there, I tried to make mine as short as possible with only about 6" from 1 hook to the next after all the snelling is done. Maybe I missed that part, in a previous post, if I did sorry for the repeat question.
    I hope to ge tto try them this year after last fall when I had some tied up but no flatties to try them on....

Salmonid