Possible New Legislation

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by tswebb71, Jan 16, 2009.

1. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Many states have enacted length limit laws on catfish. They are doing this to help maintain the large fish population. Most of the laws allow a person to keep 2 fish in excess of 34 inches. Some exempt tournaments as long as the fish are released. I think this would be a good thing. I have contacted a state rep but I wanted some feedback from some of you as well.

2. Swishersweet

Swishersweet New Member

State:
    Bourbonnais, Illinois
    I would like to see site specific regulations set for trophy fishing rather than a blanket law. Manage the lakes and rivers with the potential for true trophy catfishing with size limits and leave the others (with good established populations) with creel limits, as needed. Some of the local cooling ponds have been stocked with blues in the last ten years and it would be fantastic if they were allowed to grow to monster size through careful management. Maybe even a slot limit on them to protect the best breeding year classes and encourage natural recruitment. It would be good to also post informational signs so the casual fishermen could distinguish the blues from the channels, like the state posts for walleye and bass. I am excited to have blue cats close to home now and would definitely like to see this fishery protected.

Personally, I never keep the big ones, I have too much respect for the fish that live smart enough to get huge. I just keep smaller ones for the pan.

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i agree with u 100 percent make it site specific i fish baldwin lake and i would like to see a slot limit and say maybe keepin 1 fish over 27 inches but under lets say 42 a couple weeks ago a fella walk out of baldwin with 4 blues about 35 lbs and he kept all of them his choice :confused2:

4. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    100%er here too....i think that places like the mississippi will always hold smart ol' whiskers somewhere....i feel it's impossible to overfish her banks of the lunkers.....with that said...i've caught some nice ones in my day....those lunkers never make it on a stringer...1. they don't fit....and 2.......that's a whole lotta fat you gotta butcher through to get to some meat that ain't gonna be too good!!! anything bigger than 15# outta the ol' missy...i throw back.....and as for inland.....anything over 10# i throw back....it's common sense...unless it's the end of the season (which for alot of us, there is no off season), why do you need 100# of cat to clean? why would you want even 50# of cleanin'? whether it's 1 fish or 21 fish...i stick to around 25-25# per trip on my stringer...that'll still yield me, my fiance, and my son at least 3 good meals....unless it's a weekend and i plan to tie on a 12 pack...then it's only 2 meals...lol....but overall i think the amount of common sense fisherpeople out there stick to around the same idea....

5. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I say it's about time. :cool2:

6. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Even if they made the law state wide and not site specific, it would still allow one to take what they wanted from the river waters of Mississippi as long as the neighboring state didn't enact a similar law and you had a license for that state. Just a thought.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes it would be great, but, make sure the SAME regulations HAVE to be followed by the commercial fisherman! They are truly the ones that WILL wipe out a giant population of wintering blues on the sippy, just watch 1 of them 1 time and you can see a truck load of fish over 20-30-40-50-plus gone forever...... I don't think you would get any argument from any fisherman on this rule, with the exception of the commercial fellas.....

8. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    i can't say i agree too much....first of all...yes, commies (commercial fishermen) do clean up....but catfish are so abundant in the missy....and alot of times them "big boys" are carp that they take back, score, and bleach to look and taste like cats...i seen it with my own eyes.....they'll sell em to dummies that don't know the diference in eyesight...and, believe it or not...they have regulations too...and those coast guard boys are always on the prowl.....with the dnr.....i have been in spots i thought i'd NEVER see a dnr officer...and had em check me quickly...same with the coast guard....they know the regs and they will snatch licenses...gear...and commie boats right off the water...i've seen it!!! i just think the warmer waters down south on the missy make for a whole lotta bigguns that make their way up north...and slide on back down....not to mention the lock and dam system on the missy keeps alot of fish in a particular area.....and those creeks and small rivers the run into the missy also house a safe haven from the commies.......cats ain't dum... they just get hungry from time to time......lol
    i agree with regs inland...but the missy has survived with lunkers way before our great granddaddies were here!!!

9. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm a firm believer in CPR for big fish. But it should be up to a fishery biologist to determine what is a big fish on the particular water its caught on. A big fish from the Embarras river would be bait in the Mississippi. My $.02 worth.

Wooly

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yeah and we used to have Buffalo by the millions roaming the plains. They said that supply could not be exhausted either.:roll_eyes:

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yeah and we used to have Buffalo by the millions roaming the plains. They said that supply could not be exhausted either.:roll_eyes:

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

15. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL

I agree Randy. I have already spoken to one rep about the opposition from the commies. I don't really know how big their "lobby" is. Honestly, that is what it comes down to these days, the size of the lobby.:wink:

16. Tim G

Tim G New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Iam totally into CPR FOR ALL BIG FISH, SO OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS HAVE THEIR CHANCE CATCHING TROPHYS,AS FOR THE COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN I AM NOT A BIG FAN , BUT I DO UNDERSTAND THEY HAVE TO MAKE A LIVING TOO AN SUPPLY & DEMAND HAS ALOT TO DO WITH IT , I JUST WISH THEY WOULD TAKE ALL BIG BREEDERS IV HEARD LOTS OF STORYS ABOUT THEM TAKING HUGE FISH HOPFULLY SOME DAY THEY WILL HAVE A SLOT LIMIT .

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes, and the bad part for this side of the river is one of the "head Dogs" also has his mitts in the commercial fishing business, and that should NOT be allowed at all...... I have seen truck loads of giant Blues hauled off and I assure you they were Blues and all were well over 30# and there may be a good population in the river but in the winter when they are schooled up by the 100's and have a net dropped around them, it won't take long to remove that gene pool of giant fish forever, not to mention the fact that the Asian carp are already putting a hurt on every natural species in that river....... I have seen them pull boats up right on top of a recreational fisherman and drop nets and could care less about them or their equipment getting lost or tangled in the nets....No I am not saying they are all bad, but there are to many that simply rape the river and don't care because they don't have too........

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That is all I am saying also, 100% for a slot limit, but they also have to follow the same slot limit, seems only fair to me I don't know??? what would be nice is if they would stop pissing and moaning about the Asian Carp and get a stinking market going for them......

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    MAN Skip, your post key stick or what? LOL

20. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I was wondering if he REALLY wanted to make his point!:smile2::smile2: