Possible mods....opinions

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by harper81, Feb 16, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I want to remove the middle seat from my boat. I figured it would effect the integrity of the hull, but after I looked some more I noticed there is a rib right under the seat. So will the hull still be as sturdy? If not will it be a huge difference? Also if I take the seat out I want to put a floor in. How do I go about that with it being a v hull? Do I just stick a piece of plywood in there and deal with the springyness when it bends? Do I put a sheet of Styrofoam under the plywood to aid in support? Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    in my opinion from looking at your pics the middle set IS the suport of this boat.not knowing what to do here I do no foam under the floor is for insulation of noise...PS.springyness in a boat hull is not a good thing please seek a professional opinion before alterations ..and good luck on this project.. (hint) It might help to take more pics from diff.angles

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    I would say its a part of the structural integrity of the boat and is also part of the flotation:wink:

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I would guess that seat adds to the side to side strength ( a cross brace ), especially for the middle of the boat . There is a rib but it doesn't go all the way up the side, it stops . I'm interested to see what folks say, the ones who know what they are talking about, LOL.

Boat looks good.....g'luck with her.

-Jim-

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Bad idea.

The folks who know what they're talking about are the naval engineers that designed the boat to start with. If it ain't strictly cosmetic, it's there for a reason. Leave it be.

6. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Let me bring this up again from a different angle. Can I remove the seat and put 2x4's going across for support? I want to make a storage cabinet but don't know if the 2x4's are adequate support. I can't think of any other way to put the support back in since I don't weld and I am not paying anyone to weld.

7. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    I would not change anything that is for structure and flotation. There are several options you can do but I agree with not messing with taking it out. I would ask that you take a closer pic of the rib structure in the floor to get a better view of what type achoring can be added to it to build a strorage area. If done right you will be suprised at what 2x2's can do for ya keeping it light weight. Just a thought.

Attached Files: