Possible free slip bobbers coming soon...opinions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by harper81, Jun 5, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Well my mom works at a styrofoam plant and I remember as a kid she could get pretty much anything you could imagine made out of styrofoam. So called her up this morning and asked if she still could do this even though she doesn't work directly with the styrofoam any more. She said she could so I asked her for some soda can sized pieces. She said that they have a customer that gets sheets of styrofoam with holes punched out and the soda canned sized centers go in the trash. So I was like box them up and mail them to me.

So I am sitting here thinking about it and wondering if this is going to work. I am wondering if styrofoam that size will be too buoyant to sink when smaller fish hit. Of course I can slice off and inch here and there to get it right, but would like to keep the cylinder shape intact. Let me know what you guys think. And if anybody wants some, let me know and I'll see what I can do to get mass amounts of them. As the old saying goes, One man's trash is another man's treasure.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Seems like they should work just fine for live bait or when using other baits and 2-4 ounce sinkers. If you're using a small bait and a 1/2 ounce sinker, I'd think about cutting the cylinders into 4 pieces.

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Great idea Bill,
    A good use of something that would go to the trash and useful to boot.
    Somebody years ago gave me some big blocks of styrofoam and I put a hole through the middle and then put 1/4 water cooler tube in the hole and glued it and put my line through it and made jug lines out of them. Painted half of them with latex paint to see them better and they lasted for many years. I used some beads tied at the top of the line and a small washer to keep the line from pulling through. Still have some that I use but many have gone to the big junkyard in the sky.
    Bill

4. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i would intrested in some if not for slip bobbers icould use them for jugs

Eric

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sounds like it will work!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill you have a good idea that is workable. Get some and give it a try and report back on your findings.:big_smile:

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Good idea. Let us know how they turn out:smile2: