Possible Flathead Spot - Is this a good flathead catfishing location?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by pendog66, Mar 5, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    im headin out to a spot that might hold flatheads im not sure though. Its a spot i usually fish for crappie at. I will bring back pics and i will probaly hit the GMR afterwards.

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    well i got out to my spot at the river about 1:45. I was using skipjack on the catfish poles and while i was waiting i used minnows with my bass rod. I ended up catching one channel around 4 pounds. I had planned on going to the GMR but never made it. Because my old Bass fishing side reared its ugly head and i caught a 2 pound Smallmouth, a 9 inch Crappie, a Yellow Perch which made my jaw drop because they arent suppose to be in this river, and i caught about 6 or 7 Warmouth around 5 inches and bigger.

Attached Files:

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    heres some pics of the spot. Flathead are few and far between in this river. But this part of the river is 7 to 10 feet deep. The opposite side of the river is shallow with dozens and dozens of tree stumps and cover. on the side im fishing it is deep with trees in the water and mud bank. Do you think flathead would be here???

Attached Files:

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I dont know about your area, but if it were here in tennessee I'd sure try it.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The picture that is titled spot 3 looks like prime small river flathead location.

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    and jack to answer your question you can get over the tree pile and fish. About 100 yards up from that theres another that is even bigger

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dude your killin me! i knew i shoulda went fishin today. yeah that spot looks like it has potential.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nate, I would be throwing some of that bait you caught right back out there! Just about any place should work well. Nice looking spot. I wouldn't advertise using three poles though.lol :cool:

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    it was kinda funny because i was only suppose to be there like an hour. But i started catching fish and stayed until it started snowing

10. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    That Looks Like A Killer Spot. Hopefully Your Next Pics Of It Will Have You Holding A Flathead Infront Of You.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    im also excited about the fact there is a large population of warmouths in the area. Man they are good bait

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes war mouths are a killer flathead bait..However if there is so many of them, well lets just wait and see what you pull out!

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i noticed they werent in the deep water. They were right on the edge along with the crappie and smallmouth. It was really cool as i was fishing i was watching crappie and warmouths chasing moths and flys at the top of the water. They were very active

14. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    that looks almost identical to the creek i fished today. i got the same old bass sickness you got. i caught 3 keepers today in that creek. last spring i pulled a couple flatheads out of this area. i'd say fish every stump and logjam you can.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we done a smallie/canoe trip up that way a couple years ago and i seen one area that would definately hold some flats. up that far they no doubt do not get that big, but, as they say, its not the size that matters:D

16. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i remember my dad and i put in our raft farther up river and when we got to that point in the river we anchored and hammered the crappie and channels with a bunch of smallies, largest around 18 inches. But what really got my attention was when i stuck my 11ft predator rod in the water and couldnt touch bottom :blink:

17. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Oooooh man. That spot makes my mouth water just looking at it ;) You have the log jam/beaver dam which would be nice if it goes down into the water especially, and the river looks wide enough, and it should be deep enough, at least in the summer. How far is it from a major river that has flatheads?

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Pendog, I catch most of my muskingum flatheads in 6 to 8 ft of water.

19. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    im not sure how far away it is from the GMR but im thinking about hitting it again today after school

20. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Looks like a good area, I would try those shallow spots around the end of May. The flatheads will be feeding in the shallows chasing those crappie and warmouths. Good luck