Possible 2007 Nebraska BOC Member Gathering

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by suddawg, Jul 27, 2006.

1. suddawg

suddawg New Member

How many Nebraska members would be interested in a possible gathering next year sometime. I would be happy to coordinate it all, and would like to start early. Can anyone think of some possible places?

Branched Oak
    Gavins Point

Please chime in with recommendations. I say open to our Iowa brothers also, since a couple of em that I know live in Council Bluffs which is right accross the river from Omaha.

Let me know ya'll
    Thanks

Shane
    SudDawg

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Suddawg:
    If I might suggest including Northwest Missouri Also because I would love to meet all of you guys and gals and it wouldn't be too much of a drive for us.
    But as I said just a suggestion thanks,pk powell:big_smile:

3. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    i think branced oaks would be great, we can all just wrap around that lake, meet up at certain times of the days and share our tips and ideas and see whats working. if you get us all in on a BBQ or something, i am gonna go out on a branch here and say alot of beer would be a necessity also? wouldnt you all think. i am in. let me know. Jake

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Oh of course, in fact I wouldn't turn down anyone. That just wouldn't be right. But of course when it comes to Nebraska non-residents you would have to purchase a non-resident liscense (or temporary liscense.) You know just to stay legal.:wink:

Ok, that's one vote for Branched Oak, which is also my first pick. It's rated high for Channels, and we've all heard about them flatheads they've got in there.

I'm a very organized person (damn VIRGO,) so if I get pushy please someone yell at me:big_smile:

SudDawg

5. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    Depending on you want to do it and when, I think there are far better places for a BOC gathering than BO in mid-summer, IMO. Branched Oak is very crowded with boats and water ski's on the weekends. Not great for bank fisherman with all the traffic. If you waited until September or did it early in like May, it might be OK especially if you were going to hold this over a whole weekend or something.

It's a good idea though. Let me know if I can help.:big_smile:

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Yeah that's the only think I hate about Branched Oak. If you want to camp you have to get their early a lot of times. But another reason I liked it is because on one side you have the modern camping sites where they have electricity and showers. Of course I don't need these niceties, but if someone did then it would be available. Thanks Steve. Great input.

Shane

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i think its a great idea, theres a lake i always go to called burchard lake, its got good fishing and stuff like that and u dont have to worry about those pesky tubers or skiers, the camping is ok too.

8. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    I wouldn't think BO would be all that bad Wagontrain and Willow Creek are also some ideas to throw out there.

9. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    the missouri river by plattsmouth wouldn't be to bad. i fish their exclusively it has great places to fish such as the railroad that crosses and the platte entering the missouri along with like 12- 15 wing dykes.

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    May I kindly ask why the Beer? Can't we all just have somewhere were we can meet each other and have alot of good fishing and meeting new friends does there alsways have to be alcholol involved? Whatever happened to just good friends good times Ice tea and lemonade,I guess I'm old fashioned just really prefer to be around people who are sober:0a36: pk powell

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Doesn't Nebraska offer one or two days a year that people can fish withhout a license. The Keystone gathering is always held on the days Oklahoma has its free fishing days...helps the out of state people who have to spend money on gasoline a little.

And, Ms PK, your right. Alcohol need not be a central or even an important part of a gathering of people to develop friendship and fish. But, to each his or her own.

12. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Sounds like fun to me !!!!!!
    Brian

13. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sounds like a plan Shane, just have to start getting things in order now so that when it gets closer we don't have to stress about the little things. What about a little makeshift tourney? I don't know if alcohol is allowed at state parks, but if a person choses to have a beer I don't see a problem with that, when they decide to have a bunch of beer thats when things get out of hand. Let's keep this one going and see if this idea is even feasible.

Aaron

TA2D

14. suddawg

suddawg New Member

AwShucks you're a genious. Thanks for such a great idea. Nebraska's free fishing day is usually near the end of May. This year it was May 20th.

And I agree that alcohol should not be a reason for going, but I also agree that sometimes kicking back around the campfire, telling fishing stories, with a cold one in hand isn't a bad thing. So as long as everyone is responsible, I don't see a problem with it. Then again like TA2D states, I don't think you can legally drink alcohol on a state park. But that has never stopped my grandfather, my father, everyone else there, and honestly myself.

SudDawg

15. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I think the idea is very feasible, but it has to be well organized. With the free fishing day, it also includes getting into state parks for free on that day. Now for the out of staters, one day may not be worth the drive. So my next plan would be to take donations to make sure our non-residents are taken care of for park permits and non-resident permits.

SudDawg

16. kyhawk

kyhawk New Member

State:
    Kearney, Nebras
    sounds like blast...looking foward to it...think it would be a great way to meet new people and have a good time and learn a thing or 2....hope it works out

17. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I really want to start working this thing when I get back to the good ol USA in a couple weeks.

SudDawg

18. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    SudDawg,
    I would love to fish along side of you. It's always an honor to meet a person that is in your shoes. I pray everyday for all the men and women in uniform to come home standing on their own.

I'd like to throw in my vote for Wagontrain down south of Lincoln. They have "redone" the lake, and Im heading out there monday morning(Labor Day). It's about an hour and a half from Omaha. The local news says that the cats are hittin really good. And I would love to meet other BOC/SOC members too!

As for the alchohol, all state parks here in Nebraska is a big no-no. But some places sell just outside the entrances. And the DNR people will let things slide, if the adults are being responsible about it, and don't get out of hand. Personally, I like to have a few now and then. But I also respect the laws, the rules, and the regulations of all states. So I can live with it or without it.

Kenny

19. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    At my age I cannot make any real long term commitments BUT I would certainly enjoy doing some NE fishing again and it would just be that much more enjoyable to do it in the company of fellow BOC members. I will follow this thread to see when and where you decide to have it.

20. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I would vote for somewhere on the missouri. Missouri conditions might however be unpredictable 6mo in advance.
    Wonder if bellview marina allows that (cost?).
    Longs landing?