Position of the transducer on a Jon boat?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by riddleofsteel, Mar 22, 2007.

1. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I just got my Lowrance sonar/GPS in and when I went to install the transducer I got a little confused. It says not to put it within a foot of the prop. OK, my boat is 4 foot wide that leaves the outer two foot areas. My trailer bunks come next, no go there. Then there is the outside keel or hull rib on both sides. I am pretty sure they will make turbulence at speed. That leaves the only real place to install it between the outside hull rib and the side of the boat. I think that area has clear water even at high speed.

Do you think that will work?

Thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    With the limitations you have, that is the only place you can put it. You could make an aluminum bracket you can use to position the transducer with after the boat is off the trailer, if that would be more convenient. But pay attention to the instructions when it says not to place the transducer behind rivets or a part of the boat which can introduce small air bubbles into the water stream. You won't be happy if you don't get it installed right. Drag your boat to a local marina or boat store and ask the mechanic where to mount the transducer. A question can save a thousand cuss words. LOL

3. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    David, If all else fails Vexilar makes a transucer that is called the Alumaducer that is made to shoot through the hull, I use one on my boat with great success.

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    We took out the 1648 NCS Alumacraft with my new Lowrance sonar/GPS today. It was GREAT. The location between the side of the boat and the first rib worked fine even at full speed. The 522 iGPS is fantastic. Great bottom detail and as a fish finder it worked great. I was marking some very big fish this morning but they were either lock jawed, bass, or even carp? Who knows?
    I was near the dam in about 25' of water and there were holes literally full of fish arches showing swim bladders. Nice but it still did not put a fish in the boat.
    However, latter we were crappie fishing anchored under a bridge in about 5' of water and the Lowrance was showing the schools of crappie suspended at about 2' deep. We set our minnow rigs to 2' and started catching crappie right away.

5. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I know you allready mounted it, but what I did was to make a HDPE tranducer mounting board very wide on transome so I could move xducer if needed and not make more holes in transome (just in the HDPE).

Also re location I like it as close to center as possible to decrease effect of rocking boat, but not too close for prop interference.