Porting a choke tube.

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by CatfishHateMe, Jan 11, 2009.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    How good of an idea would it be to drill holes in my extended turkey full choke for reduced recoil and so on? Im pretty good with a mill and all that so i dont have any doubt in my ability im just asking if its a safe idea and if anyone else has done it. If anyone has experiance with it or anything and has measurements for the holes and how far apart and all that id really appriciate it along with any imput. Buying a good ported full choke isnt expactly in my budget right now, my hours have been cut to about 4 a week due to the season. Its for a 12 ga. Remington 870 and its a H.S. Strut full turkey choke. But I hate the recoil it has when i shoot coyote/turkey loads out of it and it makes it a pain to pattern and sight in. Thanks everyone who take the time to read this and respond.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jay,I don't have a clue,But i have an idea it would be a possibility IF you have an EXTERNAL type tube. You might google for a gunsmithing web forum and see what you can come up with.

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    yeah the tube extends out past the end of the barrel if thats what you mean. about 2 inches maybe.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jason, its been my experience, having extended and a ported extended 12 gauge choke tubes, shooting 3 1/2" turkey and coyote loads, that there is very little felt difference (if any) in recoil. Ported shotgun tubes mainly seperate the wad from the shot to keep the wad from disturbing the shot pattern as it exits the choke tube by opening the wad and slowing it down. Ported tubes are great for better patterns, this I can attest to. Rifle porting which is directional, is designed for reducing recoil, or in pistols for controlling muzzle flip and recoil.
    What you are suffering is the nature of the beast, a pump gun and magnum loads. In my opinion (being an x-machinist), I wouldnt try to port your own tube without alot of research and the proper equipment, and even then I would have my reservations. Choke tubes arent that expensive, but like I said before, I dont think you would be satisfied with the results. I think that if you want to shoot magnum loads through your pump, a recoil reducing stock would serve you better. Thats just my opinion bro, take it for what its worth. I just would hate to see you possibly ruin a good tube, or worse, have a structural malfunction and get hurt, or hurt someone else inadvertantly. Good luck in what ever you choose to do. Be safe. WRB

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    some of the recoil pads that limbsaver has came out with in the last few years would help a bunch!!! i have an 870 ultimag with a ported undertaker tube and i cant tell a difference in recoil between it and my unported point blank xtended tube..

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are also Mercury filled recoil reduction weights one made to fit inside your existing hollow in your factory stock,as well as one that replaces your guns plug. I cant remember where I saw them,But I was looking for choke tubes for my Ithica mod 37 when I ran across them.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Richard,

That's exactly what I was going to mention.. There may be even better stuff around these days... I think a buddy of mine has a pneumatic shock on one of this o/u .. stocks..

WRB kinda said it,,,,,Porting a tube might be kinda fun, and interesting. But, end up being more expensive in the long run...For several reasons..:eek:oooh:
    Been my observation ported guns generally are especially damaging to unprotected ears!!!

Might try someone's Auto loader and see if that tames them a bit!!:wink:

8. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I opend up a turkey choke for a frined of mine a few years go. That choke tube was harder then the hubs of hell. I had to mount it in a 4 jaw chuck and take a tool post grinder to it. I got it done but it took awhile. The first thing I would do is take a mill bastard file to the tube and see if the file will scratch it. If the file doesn't scratch the choke tube, don't waste your time...it's to hard. If the file will scratch it, I would then take a wood dowel and turn it to the ID bore of the tube, insert the dowel in the tube and then mount it in the vice or indexing head on the mill. The dowel will help keep the tube from crushing with the pressure of the endmill cutting through and will also help keep the burr down from the endmill. Make sure you protect the threads of that choke tube.

I have drilled through hardend tool steel before but it was with a high dollar square carbide drill. Yes I said square. LOL I had never seen anything like it before and I had my doubts about it. I jacked up the RPM's and peppered right through the die segment. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't done it.

My friend has a ported shotgun tube. He says that the ports blast back stuff at him when he shoots it. Just something else to think about.

As far as my turkey gun goes...I took it to a gunsmith and had the barrel cut down to barely leagal, rethreaded for the choke tube and the forcing cone lengthend. I also had a pacmyer decellerator pad installed and shims put in front of it so when I pull it up to my shoulder, it's just "there" and fits like a glove. That helped alot with the 3 inch mags. I'd love to try a Simms recoil pad sometime. I think they make pretty good stuff.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i put a hogue overmolded rubber stock and forend on my 870 mag, and now recoil is less than half of what it was. i didn't do it for recoil reasons, i did it because i broke the stock shooting OOO buck loads when the stock was a tad loose. so indirect recoil reasons i guess. :roll_eyes: anyway those stocks on brownell's were around 40 bucks before everything got sky high, don't know what they are now. svl (limbsaver) makes a wicked recoil pad, as suggested, with little to no added length. i am talking about the model specific type, not the slip on. might want to check them out before doing more work than you have to. i have 5 pump shotguns, some ported, some not, and they all kick the same except the 870 with the new stock. i have extended chokes for all but the 1300 and there is no difference in recoil with ported or non ported chokes or barrels, that i can tell. good luck in however you handle it and please be safe.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i don't know how but i posted 3 times!????

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i put a hogue overmolded rubber stock on my 870, and recoil is nil even with heavy loads. i had broke the wood stook while shooting OOO buck loads when the stock was a tad loose. i have 5 pump shotguns, some with ported barrels, some with ported external tubes. they all kick the same, as far as i can tell. the stock and forend was right around 40 bucks off brownell's, before everything went sky high. check out the model specific recoil pads from svl (limbsaver). they will not add length to your stock like a slipon will. those are probably the best recoil pads on the market, for the money. good luck in however you handle it, and please be safe!

12. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Test test test