Portable temp gauges for determining water temp.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Larry, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Has any seen or use any type of portable thermometer for sampling water temp? I know that you can get ones that are built into fish finders. (Not ready for a new one of those yet.)
    Input on any type appreciated.
    Manufacturer.
    cost.
    good product (Ya or Na)
    thanks

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Many marine dealers (also cabela'a and basspro) have a small unit that mounts in the boat and reads water and/or air temp, I think from about $20 - $40, depending on model. I'm pretty sure I've seen some at walmart, too, maybe by minnkota, not certain.
    I'm pretty sure it would do what you want if you're after surface temp, like the depth finders read.

3. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Yea, it's "mincota" and walleyworld sells it for about that price. I mounted it at the console and had enough lead to mount the sensor below waterline on the transome.
    (And it took a real beating and still worked)

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would say you could use a aquarium thermometer if you were just wanting surface temp. They usually run around $3-5. if you want deeper perhaps on of the probed outdoor thermometers would work. The way they tell temp is the voltage change accross the metel. We built on in highschool and used it to test water temps. May be able to find plans on the net. We used copper wire and a Ohm/volt meter. It was and I think still is in the textbook "Principles of Technology." Wallywold has the probes thermo for around $10,