Portable/removable depth finders?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by nralover, Mar 10, 2009.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Guys, I need a depthfinder for my Pelican pond boat. What do you recommend? The only ones I know of are the Humminbird "Fishin' Buddy", and the Pirhana Max series. Can someone point me in the right direction? I am going to BPS Thursday and I'd like to arrive there armed with some knowledge:) Thanks, Jay

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Jay, a couple of things, both from Cabela's...if you want Lowrance/Eagle, Cabela's packages them in portable units. Take a look before you buy.

Also, all portables utilize suction cup transducer mounts, which are a pain in the fundament. C has a portable 'ducer mount that is aluminum, and clamps to the transom or gunwale just like a trolling motor does.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I had one of the FishingBuddy ones in the past. It's neat the way they packaged everything together, and it worked pretty well for the most part. But one thing that drove me crazy is that it ran off of C cell batteries, and when they got a little low, which happened after maybe 8-10 hours of use, it would start giving wild depth readings, all over the scale. I remember running up on a sandbar once but never seeing less than 10 feet of water on the depth finder, there was no way to know when it shifted from being accurate to it's low battery inaccurate mode.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've got a fishing buddy for my Gheenoe. The sidefinder capability is great for casting the banks, it'll tell you if there's a fish laying in there. The C batteries are somewhat of a pain, and I'm bad about forgetting to remove it from the water before zooming off down the river with it down (kinda like a trolling motor, it poses a lot of resistance). But for my purpose on a small scale, I like it. If you go that route, go ahead and get the case for it too, it has pockets for extra batteries and you can keep your manual in it also.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I use a hummingbird 565 on my little john boat. I made it portable....

I took a piece of 1x4 treated and cut it to the length of the transom. Then I mounted the transducer to it and then just clamp it on the transom with a C clamp.

I mounted the unit to another 1X4 treated board for a good base stand and just sit it on the seat either in front of me or beside me.

Another good thing about doing it this way is that when I get a better and bigger boat I can transfer it to the new boat.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've got a portable kit for my old Eagle Fishmark 480, use it when we go fishing up in Canada. Works great. Bought the kit online somewhere - comes with a nice case for the battery and transducer storage, plus a suction-cup mount for the transducer. You mount the fish finder bracket to the top of the case and you're in business.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
  8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have a pelican that I use in ponds and I went to Cabelas and got a trolling motor mount for it. To hold the base I bent up a piece of 18 guage metal in a c shape. The metal is held to the boat via the bolts that were there for the handles. The power wire I ran straight down from the base to a hole I drilled and that is just in front of the trolling motor plug that was prewired in the boat. I just tapped in to it for the power.

9. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have a 565 Hummingbird portable and I love it. Sounds like mine is set up similar to the one Wisker Maniac was telling about. I use mine from boat to boat and it works out great.