Portable livewell/bait well

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by kory, Jun 12, 2007.

1. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    so after searching the library i found a baitwell made from an old cooler, so i decided to make one myself. all in all, i have maybe 50 bucks in it, only because i bought a new cooler that was right at 30 bucks, but i wanted osmething with wheels on it. Plus, with the way the handle comes up, i can put my bucket on the top to carry my tackle and drinks/snacks. I'll end up modifying it even more and putting bigger, more durable wheels on it, and i'm going to add another bubble box. Mabye mount a couple pvp tubes on it to carry my rods, maybe firgure a way to mount some rod holder for when i'm fishing too. This one along kept a couple dozen goldfish/israeli carp alive for a full 24 hours, and the last fish we used was still alive after 36 hours, so it works pretty well. I was impressed to say the least lol.

Attached Files:

2. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    a couple more pics....

i used epoxy and ran the tube from the box to the oxygen stone down the side and the bottom, so it was mounted down and wouldn't get in the way when i needed to use the dip net to get bait out.

Attached Files:

3. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    GOOD JOB BRO!!!!!! May have to try one myself!!:0a24:

4. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    VERY GOOD IDEA . ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW IDEAS TO KEEP BAIT ALIVE

5. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
  6. OHriverRat

OHriverRat New Member

State:
    OHIO
    lOOKS GOOD. might give it a try

7. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
  8. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    man ill have to give that a try Kory nice job!:lol:

9. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alright I think I got it posted correctly so you can just click on the link to see the picture of the nice channel we released into our pond behind the house for the local kids to catch...We have been feeding these fish dog food about every other day for the past month...It is a real treat to see the reacting kids faces when those cats come up and roll on top water for the dog food...Just that alone makes it all worth it...all the OOOO's and aw's from the kids and adults is awesome...we let the local kids fish the pond with the parents and some of them have had great success...but the only thing is we teach them the catch and release of anything over 5 lbs for now...Once a year we have a fish fry for the kids and thier family at the pond...We supply the fish and just ask that the family brings a dish...this will be our third year doing it...So far seems to be working and the families take real pride in the pond and help keep it clean and nice for everyone...
    Thank You Lord for the oppourtunity to bring this to the children and thier families

10. Brian Wheeler

Brian Wheeler New Member

State:
    ohio
    slick job there kory!!!
    i had a setup like that when i lived in flordia and pier fished alot (rod holders,gaff,small cooler for drinks,etc.)

11. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you can also if you use a old dolly if you have one. and bungy you bait well to it and place something to put your rods in so you can just wheel everything there to your hole. we do it at our trout hole. also we use a wagon and ut pvc pipe around it and put our rods in it. and store our stuff inside and away we go

12. Kentucky Jelly

Kentucky Jelly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Looks like a very nice bait rig you got there. Good Job and thanks for sharing!

13. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Hey Kory,How uch bait can you put in there and keep them alove and kickin? I usually take lots of bait with me.

14. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    i had a couple dozen 4-6 inchers in there. bought em saturday around 230, didn't start fishing till sunday early afternoon, last one was still alive at 3 am monday morning when we used it....i reckon it could hold more, especially if i have another bubble box..

15. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    thats cool,and I think it is better to use cooler's because they hold cool water better.

16. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    You know something that keeps bait much more lively that a homemade bait tank with an airerator. Use your bait tank to transport your bait to your spot and then take some 5gallon buckets and dril holes all through it,leaving about 3inches from the bottom without holes and put your bait in the bucket and then put the bucket in the lake or river. The fish stay so much more lively. I hope that helps anyone who is looking for ways to keep bait alive and kickin

17. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Good job Kory! Steve its amazing how people dont think about the simple things to do till someone post it here! Great tip on the bucket with holes in it!

18. flathead jack

flathead jack New Member

State:
    ohio
  19. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i have been doing the 5 gallon bucket thing for years its a good way to get the bait to lake temperature. and keeps you from changing the water...

20. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I started doing the bait bucket lat last year and I will no longer use livewells except to take my bait to my fishing spot. then once there the bait will go in the bucket and in the water.