Portable Heater

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by ToonCat, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    I go night fishing alot for both cats and crappie, and it just struck me over the weekend as I'm freezing my behind off that I should have a portable heater on the boat. I'm looking for a kerosene type.....all my batteries are tied up on lights and other things. I'm looking for suggstions or more importantly, your recomendations based on experience for a portable kerosene heater for the boat. By the way, with all the rods and equip on board, I don't have alot of room on my 16' toon....so space is a factor. Looking forward to hearing some suggestions. Thanks

2. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Guess I should have mentioned portable propane heaters as well.

Thanks

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It isn't Kerosene, but I just bought a Big Buddy that runs on 2 1lb cyl. of propane or 1 big cylinder. I too have a pontoon. I used a radiant heater last year that attaches directly to a propane cyl. I bought tarps from wally world and some rope and created a room on the toon. Jack and I fished last year with forecast temps in the 20's and I wasn't cold. That's saying something cause I hate cold. I get cold when it's 75 at night lol!

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Cabela's had the Big Buddy heaters on sale a few weeks ago fr $99 -- reg $129 - so I bought one. Works great, though very sensitive to bumping and will shut off with the slightest touch. Good safety feature but a little obnoxious at times. Also bought the 12' hose and adapter for using a 20 lb cylinder, $40.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Steve, I don't remember what size boat you have, but I've seen some that use a kerosene upright heater and it works real good, it has a little smell for a short time until they get warmed up, and then no fumes. I've got an upright propane heater (80,000btu) that uses a 20# tank and it will go through that tank in roughly 8 hours if I burn it on high. That gets expensive. The kerosene models can be picked up all over the place. Propane is the easiest to use, probably. I have one with an infrared burner that puts out pretty good heat, and also another small coleman that uses the small cylinders, works good to warm my hands or feet, but not much good when the wind blows.

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i use a kerosene heater 20000 btu on my pontoon i have half the thing enclosed runs 10hrs on 2gal if you light it outside let run few minutes then take inside no fumes same when putting out in 20% wether you can fish in short sleves cost about $80 at lowes i tried the buddy heater nogood

7. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    ron is right about his heater last yr at the fish and camp the weather was 19 degrees and snow was coming down hard and we were warm and tostie and their was no smell at all but the big thing is to have and encloser to trap the heat

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 3 mr. heaters hooked to a 1x12 and run off a 20# propane tank. This is fastened to the rail on the left side of my boat during duck season. With the avery quick set blind on it it gets so warm I most of the time only run 1 or 2 heaters. It works very well and they are adjustable so you can put the heat where you want it. I just leave the blind on till I know warm weather is here to stay.

9. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Depending on how cold it gets out there, you might consider also getting the disposable heat packs. These should be available at sporting goods stores, and they are supposed to give off heat for about seven hours. The smaller ones are meant to fit in the toe of a boot, but I wouldn't want to risk overheating.

While these may get too hot to have against bare skin, they shouldn't get hot enough to set cloth on fire.

-- Rich

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I carry a propane heater sometimes, its a coleman cat something.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't like propane on boats. It's heavier than air, can settle into the bilge, and any spark can ignite it. The results are explosive.

A typical pontoon should be immune to this, but please be careful.

12. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    A friend and i used the double 1 lb cylinder Buddy Heater camping in 28 degree weather at deer camp this last season,worked well but take several cylinders with you,on high it only put out heat for 6 hrs.Hope this helps..