Portable GPS

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    anyone have one? i am getting interested in them, as they are starting to be affordable. $150 isn't too bad if i never had to buy another map. are these things programmable when map bases are updated?

delphi, garmen, and magellan make some nice looking ones. chime in here you techies!:big_smile:

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    search GPS and you will find more than you need to know.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Phil I've got a cheapie that I use. I usually just carry it to mark places on lakes & places where I'm hunting. My intention when I bought it was to mark some places that I coon hunted at the public land north of granite, & then carry the gps with me while hunting so I wouldn't get lost anymore. Being lost is a bad deal, and pretty embarrassing.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get that H2O model..... I'm drawing a total blank who makes the silly thing, but you can upload maps & such to it. Supposed to be a goodun & easy to use. Oh yeah, check ebay before you purchase a new one. I found mine at a pawn shop & got it for $50. I thought that was plenty fair.

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I just recently purchased the Lowrance H20 and so far I am impressed.Marking spots on the lake it is dead on usually! I also bought the Fishing hot spots pro south map from Ebay and it added lots and lots of detail for most lakes and almost all roads.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a Garmin Legend. I'm still trying to figure out how to use it better. I got it for hunting and then found out that I have to pay another $100 to get topo maps for it. It works good for marking deer trails, scrapes, parking, etc.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Please chim in, I'm interested too. My main concern would be on how difficult they are to learn how to use. I'm not the sharpest nail in the pouch.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have the Garmin version and use it to mark way points or hot spots as they are called. I am going to up grade to one that works in and auto and on your boat also. can get one online for around 200. It even talks to yea if you get lonely Phil.:smile2:

Gary I ain't the sharpest nail either and it took me pert near a year before I figured that sucker out. But as the other man said getting lost is embarassing and ain't no fun when dark 30 is falling on yea and you are on strange waters.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Take heart in the fact that the manufacturers make them for the guys that not only arent the sharpest nail,but usually dont read the owners manual either.!!!!!:smile2::big_smile: The only problem I have with the handhelds is the smaller screens which can be hard to read sometimes.Todays versions are far better than what the military were using in Desrt Storm.The latest mapping technology is also fantastic.Adding the latest map cards can get expensive but are worth it.If I were also going to use a GPS for fishing I would not choose a handheld because very good boat models are available from several different manufacturers.:big_smile:

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil, I bought a Lowrance Sonar/GPS. Right off I saw I needed the mapping software so I bought a portable Lowrance GPS that came with mapping software. Then I was able to use the same software in the boat. We used the portable in the vehicles for a while but it had some problem with losing the satellites unless it was laying on the dash. I later sold the portable here on BOC.

10. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I own a Garmin GPS 12, its one of the first consumer GPS's. I use it to mark "hot spots", and the best thing I've found is for night fishing, I trackback on the map screen where I have been in daylight on a .2 mile scale. You only need two buttons, power and page. I still go slower and am very cautious at night, but it help like you wouldn't believe.

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    :big_smile:garmen 12
    It is a good one it is older model but workes fine.

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I have a Garmin Legend C. Its the obsolete version of the newer Garmin Legend Cx. Bought it for $200 at the local wally world. Love them red tag clearances. Its got a color screen more features than i will ever use and is "waterproof". I've never purposfully put it in water, but it has gotten some splashing from a couple of rough days on the river. Not had a problem yet. Only problem i have is that the color screen is hard to read in direct sunlight. I just cup my hand around it if all else fails. I bought mine to mark some fishing holes and tell me boat speed (i was curious). It would probably be useful on those moonless nights to get back to the dock, as it came with all the channel markers programmed in (at least in the chesapeake bay it did), and you could backtrack your route out.

13. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I'm technically challenged myself. I keep hitting the wrong button and can't find what I want half the time. Then I can only use it while standing still because I need my reading glasses to read it but I can't see the ground to walk with the glasses on.

14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Jim, I agree with you on the size etc. Years back, I got a Magellan hand held and it worked great at getting back to waypoints that I saved. The feature that I liked the best is that it also made a trail as to where I had been, and I could trace back over exact spots (so to speek) to go over where I had been before.... Great for offshore fishing....The problem that I had with my first one was that the rubber around the buttons... that you push for various inputs... wore out, and the unit got zapped by moisture....

I have used the unit with its own batteries, but the life of them seemed short for a long weekend.... I changed to the 12 adapter to use the boats power.

My buddy plumbertom1 has a hand held that he used along side of the one that I have on my boat....it is a better hand held unit than the one that I have.....My second one got zapped on a friends boat, as we hooked it up to his 12vt system without a fuse and reversed the polarity.

I would consider the cost of additional maps to be loaded onto a hand held unit......

It is nice to be able to get the lat and long of a particular place and look at it later......

I'm kind of spoiled, as I have a Lowrance unit "Big" ($500) on my boat, and use that the most.... "it sure is nice to use this when going back to honey holes in the pitch darknes.....I dim the lights on the unit, and just look at it and follow the "yellow brick road, or bread crumbs so to speek) trail to where I am going.....

The greatest thing for me is that once you've been somewhere on the "satelite navagator".......you have something to go back to.....

They are easy to use, and I did the simple thing like ..... put it in the car and go from there,

My Opinion.... for hunting, and walking or get the hand-held... but got to have the maps on it... which is some extra bucks.... with out the maps, it works great.....as long as your eye sight is good

Some of the maps are "right on" while others are to conservative on where the shore line is........

What I do is..... when I go to a new place, I save the trace "trail" that I make and call it...... Martinez 1 (mar1) and I change the color to yelllow..... later when I come back to the same lake..... I turn on Mar1 which is yellow and I know where I have been according to the yellow line..... The new trace of me traveling in the current mode is Magenta, and is easily seen as one can see where you are in relation to where you were last time......

Its nice to place waypoints of various "icons" to indicate the places that you felt were important.....

Thats my "little bit..." bayrunner ray

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    PS..... I was on the river (Colorado) in broad daylight, and was not looking or was I just full of some liquid brains, and hit a sand bar on the inside bend of a big outside bend in the river......"Stupid Shi......" took a while for Tom and I to get off.....had some Local "Bassers" help us...."thank God"

Wille... your right.... they are smaller than cell phones.. and you need specs to see em..... they have a "back light" but it can be weak....

I'd say get one guys..... "Merry Xmas" give you something to read and do while sitting and waiting for cats or in the blind with a buddie...

bayrunner ray

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I only wanted a GPS that would allow me to do three things:

(1) Mark good Jug fishing locations, so I could return to those spots in the future.

(2) Let me know how fast my 14' V fishing boat was going.

(3) Mark a trail so I could find my way back to ?.

So I bought the cheapest, smallest, and simplest one I could find that would do those three things! A Garmin Etrex for about $75.00.

http://www.megagps.com/ProductImages/handheld/etrex.jpg

It's real easy to use (which is great because of my limited brain power) and it does what I want it to do. It does not have any type of map display, and even if it did, the size of the screen would make a map almost worthless IMHO.

Bill

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil, if you or anybody is interested in an excellent GPS for a vehicle, then this DeLorme GPS for $70 will fit the bill. But it requires a laptop computer.

Wouldn't be too handy in a boat but the screen size sure works better for my young eyes. :cool2:

18. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I have a Legend E model. But it can do so many things, I have trouble just making it do simple things. Any body know where to get TOPO map software at a decent price?