Portable Fishfinder?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Blue Duck, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Im looking for a protable fishfinder to use on a canoe. The fishing buddy looks like what I want, but the cheaper ones have a 9 degree transduser. Most of the areas I would be using it would only be from 10 to 20 feet deep and 9 degrees won't show much. What else is out there? Any suggestions are welcome......

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a Humminbird Matrix 27 duel frequency.I ordered the accessories to convert it to a portable with case and battery holders.With a little ingenuity I fixed it so I can now can run it off any boat or even a floating dock if I wish.I can also power it with any 12 volt,2-6 volt or 8 Size "d" flashlight batteries.The more powerful unit will use up the smaller batteries quicker.I wished to search with the wide beam and pinpoint with the narrow beam in 2+ ft.of water to search for bream beds.I also wished to be able to use it offshore.I talked to a Humminbird sponsored pro fisherman at Bass pro.He recommended this unit.They have since discontinued it.It is hard to find a vertical spot on some canoes to get squared up with the bottom and a external transducer is vulnerable unless you have a square stern canoe.I learned to slide the suction cup and transducer off when traveling with my Canoe and Pirogue.I have yet to use this unit,due to illness.I have owned and used each of the following and was satisfied.Humminbird,Eagle and Lowrance units.Hope this may help.peewee-williams

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I used to have one years ago and my ex destroyed it. i dont remember the model or I'd have replaced it long ago. It used two 6 volt batteries. I miss that thing.