Portable fish finders

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Creteus, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I'm looking for one for my kayak and don't really want to spend a whole lot but I would like to be able to actually see where the fish is. Theres one at the bass pro shop for round $99 but I'm a little worried about how well that one would actually work. Its made by Eagle. I don't want to just go buy one because of the sevear lack of knowledge involving them. I need to be able to see the bottom layout, the depth, and the fish. So feel free to throw me a few Ideas. Like I said before it needs to be portable. Can't be drilling holes in the kayak since its used for more purposes than fishing.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I bought one 3 years ago,and for the price it was well worth it.Iwould highly reconend the Eagle.:008:

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    It is the Cuda 128 portable model.:0a22:

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Is that the one you had bought? And can you clearly see the fish?

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Yes. It displays the depth of the fish individually.You can also set it for feet or yards.The one disadvantage is it doesn't have GPS,but you really don't need that in a portable.:0a23: I use it on my 10' fiberglass boat.

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Thanks man. I'm looking at the cuda 168 at the bass pro shop. Its only about 99 bucks and looks small enough to get on the kayak.

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    The 168 must be a newer model.They are worth it , because mine is still going strong after 3 years.:0a22:

8. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Ended up buying a hummingbird portable and found out why I never catch and fish it the lake by the house. Cause the ain't none:crazy:. Spend three hours going back and forth and yep theres none.

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    You might have to take a trip down to West Point Lake.:smile2::0a23:

10. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a humminbird castable. Love it. Which one did you get?

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I used to have an eagle back in the day but my ex took a hammer to it. Im in the market for a new one. Im considering a cuda but havent gotten to cabelas lately to have a real look at anything yet.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

are you refering to that bobber & watch type fish finder? I thought it was a gimmick like one of those "as seen on tv" doodads. Does it really work well?

13. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Its a humminbird piranhamax 215. Only used it the one time so can't really coment on how good it really works. Going out this weekend in a deeper lake and will post on the outcome

14. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes my humminbird is the one with the watch. I really like it. The picture leaves something to be desired but I get a good idea of where the holes and dropoffs are before I cast my poles out. The first day I had it I put it under a tree and saw two fish and told my buddy to cast there and it only took about 3 mins. to catch a small channel. It is well worth the money.

15. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Going to have to say I'm a little pissed. Not at the preformace of the fish finder because it worked great. It ,is dual band so It showed me all the structure I could find. Even found the old bridge that is about 29' down. Found all kinds of fish which is the problem. Nothing would bite. God I was mad. Spent 6 hours on the lake and didn,t get a single bite. Got sun burn't, cut my foot on a clam shell and the only thing that I got to reel in was a stick.:angry:

16. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I love my castable fish finder. I use it on the boat as well as when bank fishing. From the boat I cast it up under overhanging limbs to see if there is a deeper hole there or to find where the drop offs are. Saves running the boat over where you might want to fish.....