Portable fish finder?:?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Ryan11r, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    i AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD PORTABLE FISH FINDER. THIS IS FOR MY LITTLE 10 FOOT JON BOAT. i FISH THIS BOAT ON SMALL LAKES AND CREEKS. mOST UNDER 20 FEET DEEP. wHERE SHOULD I START? THANKS RYAN

2. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I bought a unit that operated on flashlight batteries that I was not fond of and it didn't last but about a year, I have now made one with a 12 volt deer feeder battery, mounted the unit on top of a plastic tool box and use it in my flatbottom, I mounted the transducer permanent. but my friend, that I stole the idea from, just mounted his on a board and clamps it on the boat. Mine is a relatively cheap Garmin unit, but it shows depth and structure just fine.

Jim

3. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I don't know how much those portable units cost, but the low end Hummingbird at walmart is around a hundred and a good unit for the money.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Have you got any pictures showing how you mounted the tranducer:0a21:

5. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    Thanks guys Im gonna buy the a small one from walmart and use clamps to mount it to one of the benches

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    How Did you mount it Got any pictures I want to mount mine permanent any help would be apprecated

7. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    My boat is a 16 ft flatbottom. I just read the instructions that were with another unit. I measured the location where half the transducer was in the water, drilled two hole in the boat, attached it with stainless steel screws, sealed it with marine silicone. I will post pictures in the future, but am tied up with holiday plans for a little while. The whole thing is pretty simple. The only part attached permenant is the transducer. I mounted the screen on top of the tool box, so that I could put it in an easy to see location while running the boat. It is a tiller steer and I can sit the box anywhere.

Jim

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Check out the Eagle FishEasy 245DS...there is a portable version that includes a 'ducer that mounts with a suction cup.

I have an old Eagle that is similar, and it works just fine.

9. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Pastor E, I mounted my transducer ona piece of 1x3 pine and c-clamped it to the transom just below the water line. It was not the best installation but I only wanted it to be temporary for rented boats.