Portable aerators

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by coble9, Aug 25, 2007.

1. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just wondering what everyone uses and how much they cost. Thanks, Pat

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Frabill Aqua-Life, about 30 dollars. Runs on D cell batt, 12 volt or with optional attachment 110 volt.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Save your money. They don't provide any useful function.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    If you fish most from the banks you can find a decent pump for about $20 to $30 dollars. I found one for less than $20 and I use an old 5 gallon joint compound bucket. Its my economical livewell. :0a18:

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    The last time I checked wal-mart there were two kinds of aerators under 8$ at wal-mart. I bought one and my friend bought the other (I believe one was rebel brand and strike king - not sure though). They both will keep the gills/chubs alive for many hours as long as you have a cooler or bucket with sufficient space. We used both at the same time in a average sized ice chest. Keep the fish cool by dropping some ice in the water every now and then and they'll be kicking all night long.

6. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have one i bought for like 15 bucks at wally world runs on d cell batteries. Keeps my fish alive all night, Great buy i think

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I read an interesting article in one of the recent saltwater fishing mags about keeping bait alive.They recommend that the best way is to provide constant flow through systems.Not always possible but another interesting statement was that studies have found that it is best to have clear see through lids on your baitwells.The bait is less stressed evidently by a "constant" light source rather than going from total darkness to glaring light.I have noticed that every time I take my cover off the fish do dart about like crazy either from the barrage of light or they realize ,"here comes that ugly human with the dipnet and the 7/0 Kahles".I did hear some white perch say one Dec day,that they didnt mind the hook so much but they would appreciate it if I warmed it in my hand a little before insertion!!!!!:roll_eyes::confused2::big_smile:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I had one of the $8 ones from wal-mart. It kept hundreds of fish alive over the couple years it worked. They work 100% better than nothing. I kept goldfish alive for weeks with one,making sure to do daily water changes and keeping it cool. The tip you put the air hose on broke a couple weeks ago. Either need to fix it or buy another one.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I must disagree with this statement. Without one bait dies quickly. Sure they are not nearly as good as a livewell system but when shore fishing or without access to a livewell those cheap little bubblers do the trick.

10. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have been looking around for some too. It looks like catfish connection has them moderatly priced. Some of them have 80 hrs run time on d's. That seems pretty good if you ask me. Now you just have swing fishing for 80 hours straight to check it. Guess that would be easy if you were paid to fish.

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Frabill Aqua-Life and the Minnow life(same as the Aqua Life but without the 110 volt attachment) are by far the most superior aerators I have used. I have a cheaper one and it pumps air just fine but its incredibly loud and these Frabill's are ninja quiet. Gone are the nights of sitting next to a buzzing bait bucket all night. Spend the extra coin on a Frabill you won't regret it! Oh and they also have a light built into them.

As far as the comment about bait freaking out going from dark to light. I fish in the dark so....not much of a problem :)

12. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I have one of those cheap 5-8 dollar jobs from Wally world, and it kept my bait alive from around 5 p.m. to 6 a.m. on just a couple AA's. had them in a 5 gal bucket, used a rock to keep th tip on th bottom an worked like a charm. a lil ice during th day helps to, not needed at night, I dont think.