Porta-boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by lucescoflathead, Jan 14, 2010.

1. lucescoflathead

lucescoflathead New Member

State:
    Western Pa.
    Anyone have a 14 ft. Porta-boat? I am in the market for a jon boat and have been looking at the Porta-boat. I'm not so interested in the fold up aspect as I am of it's design and ruggedness. I've looked at the web site and it shows it's pretty stable and you don't need a large motor for it. If I bought one, I'd probably set it up before I go and haul it on a trailer.

Is there any advantage to one over an aluminum boat other than the fact it can be folded up? Thanks Todd

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Todd.... Welcome to the BOC... I remember a post back a few years that inquired about a porta boat...My only experience was that a buddy of mine had a 10 ft'r... he liked it but the motor he had for it was a cheep 4 hp motor and had a prob using it as it was not put away properly and had gas problems....

I'd go for the jon boat myself..... more room to roam around in and a firmer bottom..

Good luck with your choices.....

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    talked to a guy at the lake a couple of days ago that had one about 15 ft looked like. had a 9.9 on it and loved the boat. was walking around in it like i do in my tracker. said he could put a larger motor on it cause was rated for larger one. he'd had it for a few yrs and was from Mo. loved it. but he's built about like i am in picture. wouldn't want one if i was a large person.
    don't know much else but if i was traveling a lot, would think of getting one for me.
    gary

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  4. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i would definatly get a semi v jon boat if i wanted that style. i have had a couple of them and they are really good boats. if you dont want it for the fold up aspect there is no point in gettin a fold up i would think the semi v jon would be alot more durable. just my honest opinion. now if i were traveling i would like to have one myself im not sayin it seems like a bad idea. but if i were gonna haul it on a trailer a good ole solid semi v would seem better

(plus i used to run a 30 hp on a 12 1/2 semi v and it was an awsome little ride)

5. lucescoflathead

State:
    Western Pa.
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to start looking for a 16 ft. aluminum jon boat,maybe with a 20 HP jet so I can still fish Moraine and Pymatuming. Todd

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Todd, I think you made the right choice. You can do more with the john boat.
    Bill

7. lucescoflathead

State:
    Western Pa.
    I bit the bullet today. I went to the boat show in Monroeville. I talked the a dealer and put money down on a Polarcraft 1468 jonboat. I hope to pick it up next week. I wanted something wide. Cant wait to start the mods on it. Todd

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    welcome to the site, and good luck with the new boat.