Port or Starbard.....

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by Stumpknocker2, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Which is the correct side or does it matter, where you mount the light on the back of the boat. I am refering to the pole light required by law.

2. kickersdad

kickersdad New Member

starbard, don't know the law but never seen one on port side.

3. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    mine is on the port side i bought it new came from factory, but i dont think it matters since you are only supposed to use it when anchored. but i am not sure.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Mine has always been on the starboard side. I am not sure that it matters. It is the bow lights that are most important, with the green light to port and the red light to starboard. As a matter of fact my Pontoon light is mounted smack in the center on the back of the hardtop.

5. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Port is red and Starboard is green.
    Dave

6. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    My light is on the starboard side. I would think most commonly located there so that while underway the light would not be a hinderance to your vison. Most boats that I see are side console and the light is directly behind the console.

I also belive you are need to use it when you are underway in addition to your red/green box lights.
    When you are anchored you should have it on and your bow lights OFF.

Dave

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Even in reverse?
    My bad! :embarassed:

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Just a note. Make sure the light can be seen above the motor. A CO pulled me down and said the light had to be above the motor because he could not see it on one side. I never thought about that till then. No ticket but a new light was bought the next day!
    Bill

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Here is an interesting link. Although it is from Virginia it supplements, but does not change the federal law/regulation. Your question is answered in the topic of navigation lights. In a nutshell, it does not matter where it is at as long as there is an unobstructed view for 360 degrees and it is visible for two miles. One point to consider or ponder... a lot of boats has a fixed light which is about 9" above the gunwales. Would your body and your friends body obstruct the view of this light from different angles? If so you could be cited by the Coast Guard.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating/wog/equipment_regulations.asp#Navigation_Lights

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Ok guys/gals do not laught at me but which side is port? Looking from the rear of the boat--- Port will be???

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Staaaaarboard is right
    Port is left.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There is nothing that says your bow light has to be on the bow of the boat.
    You could put them on the light mast If your lights are centered.
    Visibility is the rule.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Why laugh? Most Sailors would drown in ignorance in front of a Latrine sign.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    I found a easy way to help me with the Port, Starbard thing. My Toon has the helm on the right so that is where I sit to drive and since it's my boat I'm the "Star". So I can allways remember that right is the "Star" bard side. Sometimes I need all the help I can get!?!?!?!?

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    TOP, your other left damnit.Do we have to put a brick in your left hand.Shame on you and you a First Shirt to.BIG ELI ,dont give up your day job.:smile2: :big_smile: :wink: :lol: :haha:

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jim, I was in the Army we did need all that port or stabors stuff it was left or right. when we marched we said your left--- your left, right not your port--your port!!:tounge_out: :tounge_out: :embarassed:

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Starboard right-Port left.....:crazy::confused2:
    From being trained in telephone work... Red, Ring, Right .. that is so simple and easy to remember.

The way I remember boat lights... the red light is on the wrong side!:cool2:

18. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Mine is on the starboard side as it states in the idnr.

19. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Easy way too remeber port has four letters in it and left does to. That's how I was taught to remeber it.:0a23:

20. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It goes waaaay back to when the rudder (steering board) was mounted on the right (starboard) gunwale. Since a dock would quickly destroy the steering board, vessels were moored with the left side touching the dock, making that the port side. Port and left both have four letters...simple.

The stern light should be as high as possible. It's more visible that way, and out of the helmsman's line of sight. Seems like I've seen some rigged with shields to keep the light out of the boat, but I'm not sure. Danged CRAFT disease!:tounge_out: