Port Arransas

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Blakemo, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I will be in Port Arransas (I hope i spelled that right lol) In Febuary and I was wondering what I could catch just casing in the surf? I dont have a kayak so I cant get my bait out very far but was hoping I could still catch little sharks or anything that fights lol.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If I went to Port Aransas and didn't go deep sea fishing, I'd be very upset. While I've never been fishing from there, I've done a lot from Panama City, Florida. Most were 12-hour trips, which are a lot of fun, but the really memorable ones were the longer trips, where we anchored overnight. Here's a link:

http://www.dolphindocks.com/

Be careful about shark fishing from the beaches; lots of them don't allow that any more.

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i will be fishing port aransas next week. i have to go to the deer lease from the 6th through the 13th, but will be back there again later in the month. get back with me around the 1st or 2nd and i will tell you what is biting and where. i have friends from kansas that will be there the whole month and if his wife is better, he will probably show you some places if you are there while i am gone. we are always looking for new guys to fish with.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    blake i havent fished port a in a long time but when i did i always took the ferry across to mustang island and fished from the pier or the jettys.dont know bout sharks in winter never fished for them that time of year but you should be able to catch redfish,black drum,flounder,and trout from the jettys.if you fish the ship channel side be ready to loose a lot of tackel.fishing the surf side look for flounder in close to the rocks and be carefull where you step.them jettys are awfull slick where they are wet.best bait for flounder are mudminnows if you can get them.even with a little info your best bet for having a good time and catching some fish is to hook up with one or all of the guys that have posted that live and fish the area now.

5. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info! and im actualy going to be on mustang island lol. What kind of gear is used for the species mentioned?

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Check to see if you are allowed to fish for shark from the beach. They have been trying to pass laws banning shark fishing from the beach for about a year now in Florida, Mississippi, and Alabama because they think its causing shark attack. BS if you want my opinion. Its not a good time of the year for shark fishing in the Gulf. Spring till fall is the best, but there may be a few lurking around. I use a 12' ocean master rod with a opus 6000 reel with 80# power pro in the surf without a kayak, and a roller eye 6' heavy rod with a tekota 800 reel loaded with 550 yards of 80# power pro when I use my kayak.
    Heres a link with some pretty good info on surf shark fishing. Follow the links on the site for each catagory. Good luck

http://www.notsoboringlife.com/shark-fishing/guide-to-shark-fishing/

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    No laws in Texas bout fishing for shark from the beach, in fact they even have big shark tournaments that only allow fishing from the beach, they are good down around the big shell area past the 4wd sign on S Padre Island...There are guys who build turrets on top of suv's and have buddies drive them up & down the beach to run w/the shark till they land em, they use kayaks to take the bait out several 100 yards from shore to get them out far enuff...