Porpoising

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Ol Man, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Slammer and I were set to go out last night. We put the boat in the water and took off for parts unknown. The boat would no sooner get up on plane and it would start porpoising to the point I thought we were going to become a submarine. Absolutely nothing has been changed (to my knowledge) since the last time we had it out. It's a 17 foot tracker with a 115hp merc. Any thoughts?

2. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It was sabotage. Must have been one of those jealous BOC members you consistantly out-fish. So how long of a list of suspects would that be?

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My 70 hores was doing that a couple years ago. It turned to be that the Prop had spun and was not getting full power to the Prop. Which made it porpois.Well anyway I put a new prop on and it stopped.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My 16 ft smokercraft did that. I had to much weight in the front of boat. I make m 250lb cousin sit in the back of the boat. He had brought about 50lbs of tackle with him.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Try to mimick the same conditions and then change the weight around.

6. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Trim the motor down.

7. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Mine only does that when I need More weight in the front. I must run with two anchors sitting on the casting deck. My motor is trimmed all the way down.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Rob, have you tried putting a dolphin/hydrofoil on your engine. They work for that condition.

Ol Man, maybe the engine has just lost a little bit of power, or possible weight distribution, or any of the other reasons mentioned. Cover all the bases.

9. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    And mess up the Metrosexual look of my jon boat? Are you kidding?

10. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    It probably a weight problem. Usually when mine does that I need to trim the motor down pushing the front end of the boat more in the water.

11. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I have one of those hydrofoil things and I love it.
    With it you can stop with the boat trimmed up and take off with it already trimmed.

Now it does dig a pretty good bit on takeoff if you dont trim mind you :)

It is also prety much out of the water on plane at WOT so you get very little loss of top end speed.

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Mine does that if my trim is to high. Just a thought.
    Bill

13. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    My boat used to do it a lot because I have a heavy engine on it. Once I put a nice hydrofoil on it, it stopped porpoising and rides better and turns better. It is also faster because it raises the boat out of the water more.