Porpoising

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by KYfarmer, Jun 24, 2006.

1. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    My boat is too light in the front and I have a hard time with it wanting to porpose would a whale tail solve my problem?

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It might help it some, but the main purpose is to get it up on plain quick, unless your having trouble there, one thing you could do is put a Bait tank in the front end of the boat and equal out the front end floating so much.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would put a whale tail on it anyway. I've never seen a boat suffer from using one.
    If that doesnt get rid of the porpoising I would spend 150 bucks or so on some smart tabs. That is the easiest solution without changing a whole lot of stuff in the boat and alot better then the customary sand bags in the bow.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good info there Mark. I would do as mark suggested and also see how far your motor is trimmed out. If it is out in the trim holes to far it will porpoise. The smart tabs are the way to go in my opinion. If you have your motor trimmed all the way in and the plate is even with the bottom of the keel then I would add smart tabs try the whale tale first and then add weight up front as suggested. But do one thing at a time so you won't do unnecessary stuff.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Got a better Deal for You! Ill ship my Single Stepdaughter to you she weighs #350 plus and you can put her in the front of the boat and I think that should take care of the Porpoising problem Im sure. now along with that I will buy you all the new rod and reel combos you choose plus I will pay for all your gas, food beer, new truck to pull the boat(whatever make color Size) you wish. Now understand Shes my baby and just barley 30 years old. her name is Peaches(nice ring to it right) And I will surley miss her But anything for a brother.what do you think? PM me back if I need to sweeten the deal OK.Bigcatman0816.

6. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Change the prop pitch it will change the top end speed but will come up on plane faster!

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    a whale tail cured the porposing a boat of mine had.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I had the same problem for a while. Seems the new prop I purchased was the wrong pitch. Got the correct pitched prop and the problem was solved.

9. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I think I will try the whale tail first, then if that doesn't work me and jd might have to work somethin out LOL! I have 2 props a 10 pitch and a 12, the 10 puts me on plane really quick and I can run 30 mph, the 12 I don't plane as quick but I get 33mph. The problem is not getting on plane it's I have too much junk in the back of the boat....2 batteries 30hp 4stroke motor gas tank me ect. I just dont want to cut on the boat to put the trolling motor battery in the front. DH I think the bait tank will help more than anything, and I need one anyway! Thanks for all the ideas guys!
    Marty

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Marty, that is one fine deer in your avatar.

ST

11. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    Yeah I'm pretty proud of my deer, believe it or not it's not my biggest, I got a bigger 8 pointer than that with my bow this year. Just wish I could catch fish as good as I deer hunt.

12. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Would you throw in a carton of cigarettes and a boat? If so I will think about it. Adding a little cash would help also.

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    350 pounds! Now there's a woman that will keep ya warm at night.

ST