Pork

Discussion in 'BOC Member Cookbook' started by Whistler, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Jim Longcreek(Chuckwagon)

This is a breakfast you can eat at 6AM and it will still be throwing energy your way at 2 in the afternoon! Get a center-cut hamsteak and fry it in corn oil. Scramble or fry 5 or 6 large eggs and serve with Elvis biscuits (see post) butter and strawberry jam. This has saved me many an early trip home due to "the hungries". Keep fishing!

2. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Tony Letson(Frosty Whiskers)

I made a bit of this for my daughter's home economics class once. The teacher keeps begging me to come back and cook again. I made enough for a class of 30 to enjoy a small lunch.

2-3 pound pork tenderloin cut in 1/2 in thick medallions
    1 large yellow onion finely diced
    1 bunch garlic/or 6 large cloves minced
    1 TBsp black pepper
    1 tsp cayenne powder
    1 cup concentrated chicken stock
    3-4 TBsp Olive oil
    3 TBsp fresh Rosemary bruised (leave stem intact)
    2 TBsp fresh Thyme
    3-5 Bay leaves
    29 oz can Tomato Sauce or 15-20 Roma tomatoes skinned, seeded, and crushed
    2 TBsp tomato paste

Bring 16 in skillet or 12in stew pot to temperature. Quick sear pork medallions in oil and set aside. Saute' onions in oil until translucent, add garlic, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, cayenne powder, and black pepper. Move around until smooth, then add chicken stock and bay leaves. Add tomatoes, or tomato sauce. Add medallions, then simmer 15 minutes.

serve with choice of pasta, rice, or scalloped potatoes.

3. Whistler

State:
    TN

Elvis was known to lend a hand at times in prep of these ribs.

4 pounds pork spareribs
    1 cup catsup
    1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 cups cherry coke
    1/4 cup apple vinegar
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 medium onion finely chopped

Cut ribs into serving size pieces and place on grill over coals. Cook slowly for 1 hour, turning often. Combine the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. Brush the ribs with the sauce and continue grilling and basting for 30 minutes. Serve with corn on the cob, fries and iced tea. Keep fishing.

4. Whistler

State:
    TN

This is a taste treat that will bring memories for the old-timers and create new ones for newbies!

1 pound pork loin, cooked and chopped fine
    1 cup cornmeal
    1 can chicken broth
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons corn oil

In a large pan, combine the pork, cornmeal, broth, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Line a loaf pan with waxed paper and spoon mixture into it. Refrigerate overnight. Unmold. Cut into squares. Salt and pepper each square, roll in flour, and fry in corn oil. Wonder how Elvis lived so long. Keep fishing!

5. Whistler

State:
    TN

Elvis was fond of late night snacks, and could have had this as one of his favorites.

1 center cut ham slice
    1 small cooking apple cored and cut in wedges
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 cup apple juice
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons raisins
    1 tablespoon lemaon juice
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

Place ham slice on rack under broiler and broil for 8 minutes. Turn and broil other side. In a large pan, cook the apple wedges in butter. Mix the remaining ingredients and add to the apples. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour over ham slice. Serve with biscuits, butter and hot coffee. Keep fishing!

6. Whistler

State:
    TN

Elvis really liked pork chops and sometimes had them for breakfast, lunch AND supper! I mean...just look at pics of that good ole boy!

1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    3/4 cup all purpose flour
    2 tablespoons corn oil
    4 pork loin chops
    4 cooked sweet potatoes, in chunks
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 cup plum jelly
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    grated rind of one lemon
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350. Combine salt, pepper and flour in pie pan, and dredge the chops in it. Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the chops in the oil and then transfer to a shallow baking dish. Arrange the sweet potatoes around the chops. In a saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients and simmer for 3 minutes. Pour this sauce over the chops and sweet potatoes and bake for 45 minutes. You have some "Love me Tender" pork chops for sure! Keep fishing!

7. Whistler

State:
    TN

Elvis loved barbecue and this was a fav of "The King".

3 pounds butt pork roast
    2 tablespoons corn oil
    1 small can tomato sauce
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    salt/pepper
    1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
    1/2 tespoon chili powder
    dash red pepper

Brown the roast on all sides in the corn oil. In a mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour over roast and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 2 hours until pork is fork tender. Slice and enjoy! Keep fishing!

8. Whistler

State:
    TN

1 pound lean pork shoulder
    1 teaspoon salt
    dash pepper
    1 cup sliced carrots
    1 cup diced potatoes
    1 tablespoon corn oil
    1 can cream of celery soup
    3/4 cup water
    pie pastry

Combine meat, seasonings, carrots and potatoes. Cook in corn oil until light brown. Blend in soup and water. Heat to boiling. Cool.. Pour into pie crust lined pan...top with pie crust...cut vent slits and dot top with butter. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes until crust is rich brown. Serve with candied yams, corn on the cob, hot coffee and banana pudding for dessert. Keep fishing!

9. Whistler

State:
    TN

This is a delicious cold weather treat. Its guaranteed to stay hot...hours after you have eaten it! Yum!

1 pound hot sausage (Jimmy Dean..Owens..Neeses)
    1 can tomatoes
    1 can whole kernel corn
    2 tablespoons onion fine chopped
    2 tablespoons sausage grease
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    buttered breadcrumbs

Cook sausage until well done and crumbly. Drain grease. Add tomatoes and drained corn. Simmer for 10 minutes. Saute onion in sausage grease. Mix flour, sugar and salt. Blend with sausage grease and onion. Add to sausage and vegetables and heat to boiling. Remove from heat. Place in baking dish and top with buttered breadcrumbs. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes until breadcrumbs are brown. Serve hot with spiced apple slices, buttermilk biscuits, butter and strawberry jam, hot coffee. Keep fishing!

10. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by David Carroll(Cat_Daddy64)

FRENCH PORK ROAST

5 lb. pork rib roast
    2 cloves garlic, slivered
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/2 C. chopped onion
    1/2 C. chopped carrots
    2 parsley sprigs
    2 T. all-purpose flour
    1 T. chopped parsley
    1 T. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/4 C. butter or margarine, melted
    Chopped parsley
    1 can condensed chicken broth
    3 lb. medium potatoes, pared and sliced thin
    1 C. chopped onion

Preheat oven to 425ºF.

Wipe pork roast with damp paper towel. Rub outside of pork with cut slices of garlic.

Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Rub over pork to coat well. Insert garlic slivers where possible in crevices in bone. Place pork fat side up in large shallow roasting pan without rack. Place 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped carrots and 2 parsley sprigs under pork roast. Roast uncovered for 1 hour.

Remove from pan. Pour off most of fat, leaving about 1 tablespoon in pan. Stir 2 tablespoons flour into pan. Gradually stir in 1 cup condensed chicken broth into flour mixture until well combined. Then stir in 3/4 cup water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer stirring to dissolve browned bits about 2 minutes.

Strain gravy through strainer into saucepan, discarding vegetables. Set gravy aside to reheat later. Return pork to roaster.

Gently toss sliced potatoes with 1 cup chopped onion and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, 1tablespoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to mix well. Arrange around roast.

Heat remaining chicken broth to boiling; pour over potatoes. Brush potatoes with melted butter. Reduce oven temperature to 400ºF, then roast pork 45 minutes to 1 hour longer or until temperature reaches 170ºF and potatoes are fork tender and nicely browned. Sprinkle potatoes with chopped parsley.

Serve pork and potatoes from roasting pan or baking dish. Reheat gravy. Serves 8.

11. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by David Carroll(Cat_Daddy64)

1 pk Pork ribs
    3/4 c B-b-q sauce (your favorite)
    1 md Onions
    2 tb Oil

Slice onions and cook in oil until transparent. Add ribs and brown on all
    sides. When ribs are browned, place in microwavable casserole or oven
    proof pan with cooked onions. Heat barbecue sauce in pan with juices from
    onions and ribs. Pour sauce mixture over ribs. Cover pan with plastic wrap
    or foil (depending on cooking method). Microwave on high for 15 minutes.
    Check tenderness with a knife. Cook longer if necessary. Or bake
    350 for 45 - 60 minutes.

12. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I tried this once with a 3 pound pork loin and it was pretty darn good!

if you got a food processor thingy or just chop with aknife finely as ya can
    1 cup fresh fennel/anise 2 cloves a garlic"bigger the better",tablespoon of olive oil, and leaves from 2 sprigs of rosemary.

Slice the loin in half lengthwise and spoon half of the mixture across the entire length.Fold it back over and trie it off.

Make a few holes in the top and sides of the roast and stuff the rest of the mixture in there.

Season the whole thing generously with salt and pepper and rub in about 2 more tablespoons of oil.
    Put it on a roasting pan and cook 15 minutes at 450 degrees.

Lower the temp to 400 and throw in 1/2 cup of diced carrots
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup diced onion
    and cook another 15 minutes

then add 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
    and cook till done

juice makes a great sauce looks pretty when ya slice it on a bias
    can even get real shmancy and top it with a sprig or two of the rosemary and some fenel fronds before being served!

13. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Jim Longcreek(Chuckwagon)

This is a delicious dish that can be utilized for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Versatile AND nutritious!

4 eggs
    1 can cream-style corn
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1 pound quality sausage Cooked
    1/2 cup cracker crumbs

Beat eggs, add corn, salt, pepper breadcrumbs and sausage. Put in greased baking dish. Add cracker crumbs on top. Bake uncovered at 350 for 35 minutes. Serve with cornbread, sliced tomatoes, sliced red onions, coffee and cake for dessert. Keep fishing!

14. DirtyHowi

DirtyHowi New Member

State:
    va
    I love my crock pot, pert near the best device ever invented, especially when the wife takes a vacation, i can get up throw dinner in it, turn it on and leave it.

one of the best ones is probably one of the simplest.

Pork chops (your choice of bone in/out and size, as many as you want)
    1 can cherry pie filling (comstock is all i'll use, but ya'll can use what ya like)
    1 tsp lemon juice fresh or out the green bottle
    salt and pepper to taste

1. brown pork chops in skillet seasoned with salt and pepper, just brown em mind you.

2. put bout half of the pie filling in the bottom of the crock pot

3. take your browned pork chops and put them in on top

4. pour the rest of your pie filling and the lemon juice on top.

cook on low all day, I like it with mashed taters and corn. but you can use whatever you want...

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Take the ham out of the package- throw away the glaze kit and wrapper and plop her into a deep roasting pan.

Make crosswise cuts in the ham 1/2 inch deep and about 1 inch by 1 inch so when it bakes it "prettys up" and browns with a crosshatch pattern.

Take a can of pineapple rings and a can of marischino cherries and a box of whole cloves and cover the top of the ham with the rings with a cherry in the ring holes and use the cloves as toothpicks to hold it together and into the meat. If the cloves are too short (sometimes they are), use 5 cloves per pineapple ring and a toothpick per ring through the cherry to hold the thing still. (remember- count your toothpicks so grandmaw dont chew on one during dinner by accident.)

Pour the pineapple juice in the roaster next to the ham. Then go get Vernors ginger ale (my favorite) or Canada Dry Ginger Ale and pour a 20 oz bottle over and around the ham. then take a small bear-jar of honey and pour a good 3/4 of it over the ham and pineapples and cherries.

Cover it up with foil nice and high so there is room for the liquids to sweat around the top of the ham. Bake at 350 for 16 minutes per pound... but around 3/4 of the way through you're gonna want to stop, uncover it, baste it, pour the rest of the honey from the bear jar on it, and kick the temp up to 375. When you're done, you aint dont yet... LET IT REST UNCUT AND TIGHTLY COVERED FOR 15-25 minutes out of the oven so it remains juicy after you cut it. If you dont do that then the capillary effect will cause all juices to surface where you cut it effectively drying out the leftovers. (there's a chef's secret for ya!)

This is the way Ive always done the family ham. Its my granny's recipe and I tell ya none of it goes to waste. Those cloves and pineapples look gorgeous and the flavor will blow ya away.

Good luck.

You can also substitute pure maple syrup for honey if you like a bit of a woodsier yankee flavor to it. But I prefer honey.

16. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    One of my signature dishes for sure when i do catering...
    the most often requested too.

"The Ham thats not a ham"

1 10 to 15 lb ham. prefer front shoulder but shank can work.
    1 lb of pitted and drained kalamata olives (or a lil more)
    2 double handfulls of sun dried tomatoes. (weights vary wildly depending on how dry they are... volume-wise this is enough.
    1/4 cup crushed/minced garlic
    1/2 cup olive oil

soak the kalamata olives in water for an hour or two, changing out the water a few times then drain.

mix everything but ham in a big bowl, let sit an hour.

with a paring knife w/ a 3 or 4 inch blade shove knife straight down into the ham. remove knife and insert finger to stretch out the hole a little bit.
    stuff the hole with a tomato, then an olive or two, another tomato,
    (im sure u get the idea)

do not stab the ham full of holes and then try to fill. do them one at a time, spaced about an inch and a half apart, do this to entire ham.

on one end of the ham i will add chunks of jalepeno to the holes too for those that prefer it spicy.

use the olive oil left in the bowl to baste ham with as it cooks.

i give this 8 to 10 hours in my smoker pit with pecan wood. if u dont have an offset firebox a big bbq pit will work but keep it as far away from the fire as u can get it.

u can use an oven... but not as tasty... cover it with foil and bake like any ham.

i tried for years to come up with a name for this dish... no luck.
    those that eat it say its a ham but isnt a ham so thats what ive ended up calling it. when you carve it and serve it b sure to add chunks of the toms and olives to the plate with the meat. yes its a ham... and its mighty tasty too, but it does not have that salty sweet generic "ham" taste im sure many of us get sick of this time of year.

hope ya'll enjoy

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

This is a recipe I've made quite often. It's delicious, and is considered a quick, healthy dish. I've used all types of pork chops, but the bone-in chops have the best flavor.

Sweet and Sour Pork Chops (serves 4)

3 tablespoons orange marmalade
    2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    1 teaspoon coarse-grained Dijon-style mustard
    1/8 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes (optional, but I use twice as much :big_smile:)
    1/4 cup water
    4 center cut loin pork chops with bone (about 4 ounces each), 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
    Orange slices for garnish

1. In a small bowl, combine marmalade, soy sauce, mustard, and hot pepper flakes. Stir in water until well blended. Set aside.

2. Season pork chops with black pepper. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chops; cook until lightly browned, turning once, about 2 minutes per side.

3. Spoon marmalade mixture over chops; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in green onion. Place on serving plates and garnish with orange slices. Serve with any pan juices on the side.

Variation: If you don't have orange marmalade, you can substitute another flavor of jam or jelly. Apricot preserves, red currant jelly, or plum jam are good choices. For an exotic flavor, add a pinch of ground ginger to the jam mixture.

Cook's tips: When cooking with jam, watch carefully to avoid scorching, and stir from time to time. The high sugar content in jam means that it can burn easily.
    Dijon-style mustard, made from brown mustard seeds, wine, and seasonings, can range in flavor from mild to sharp and in texture from coarse to smooth.

Per serving: Calories 177 (28% from fat) / Carbohydrates 12 g / Protein 20 g / Sodium 404 mg / Fat 6 g / Cholesterol 54 mg

I like to serve brown rice and some sort of mixed vegetables with this. A bag of frozen stir-fry veggies is good as a time saver. Occasionally I will make twice the amount of marmalade mixture since it's good on the rice and vegetables too. Of course, that does change the nutritional value per serving :roll_eyes:.

18. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    George's Forever Roasted Pork (Serves about 8)
    Ingredients
    2 medium onions, peeled
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    salt and black pepper
    1/2 cup water
    8 to 9 pounds pork leg or shoulder, at room temperature
    About 1/4 cup your favorite spices mixed
    Directions

Thinly slice the onions. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat until hot. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for about 2 minute. Cook until the onions cease throwing off water, about 6 minutes. Add the water, cover, and cook until the onions are very tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and sauté until the onions are very soft and the pan is dry again, about 5 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.
    Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Peel back the pork skin and spread the onions directly on the fat layer. Fold the skin back over the onions and tie closed with string. Season well all over with your favorite spices.
    Arrange the meat on a rack in a roasting pan with skin up and cook until the meat is very tender about 9 hours. It is ready when it pulls away easily if picked at with a pair of tongs. I place mine in oven at 9 PM and take out at 6 AM. It does not need to be attended at this temperature.
    ENJOY George

19. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    GEORGE'S HASH
    Hash the secret is in the sauce and ingredients so here goes:

Mustard 1 & 1/2 cups
    Vinegar 1/2 cup
    Salt 4 teaspoons
    Black Pepper 2 teaspoons
    Crushed Red Pepper 1 teaspoon
    Sugar 1 tablespoon
    Onions 4 ground

1 nine-pound pork shoulder cut up no skin.

Cover meat and bone with water and cook till done add salt pepper and red pepper. When meat is done coarse grind all meat save broth put meat in pot add onions, sugar, mustard, and vinegar. Add broth to get right consistence. Cook on slow heat for all ingredients to marry.

20. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Ham balls

1lb ground uncooked ham
    1lb ground fresh pork
    2/3 cup cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup milk
    1 slightly beaten egg
    Dash of pepper

throughly combine all ingredients
    form into inch - inch and a half size balls
    I use a cookie sheet with raised edges
    Bake at 350 degrees for around an hour or so depending on your oven... they will get a light brown color to them when they are done

You can bake the glaze on them, or I usually just cook the ham balls and serve them in a large bowl and glaze them in the serving bowl.

Peach glaze
    1 1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup syrup from canned peaches
    3 tablespoons vinegar
    3/4 tsp cloves (I don't like cloves so I use only a pinch of it)

Glaze all ingredients!

If ya'll try this let me know what you think!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.