Pork Chitlens for Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by JReed, Feb 9, 2006.

1. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    Anyone ever use pork chitlens for bait? I can get a 10lb bucket for $10. I also thought of mixing in in my punchbait.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have used them in the past but not recently, Jerry [jtrew] can give you all the info that you will need,he uses them on his jug lines. I think he does good on them.

3. wykydjuggalo

wykydjuggalo New Member

State:
    Gadsden,Alabama
    i used a turkey neck last year caught a good 15lb channel on it

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Strange how we often think alike. Passed by a bucket of chitterlings yesterday and wondered how they would do as catfish bait. My wife would kill me, though, if she found a big bucket of pig guts in the freezer. She already cusses me for all the shrimp and other goodies I have there. Niether of us like shrimp that much, but the kitties do and its relatively cheap bait.

5. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Gadzooks, meybe you orta get yer own freezer. Like out in the garage. And be at peace with "she who runs the kitchen".

6. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I got my own frig/freezer in the garage. :cool:

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    shucks, why not just use steak if you'r gonna use food for bait! an surly you jest that she fusses about shrimp? next no tellin what she'll not like, macdonalds an apple pie? :)
    I wonder if barbeque spareribs will work?

8. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I use pork and beef cracklins for bait and chum and they are a good bait. The oil from them leaves a slick that spreads over the water and will really draw the cats in. I reccomend them.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used chitlings in the past. Sometimes with excellent results, sometimes not, same as any other bait. But I still think that fresh cut skipjack or shad are best, with frozen skipjack in second place. Whatever is in third place is waaay back in the running. But, as a backup bait, chitlings are cheap, and will stay on the hook till you take them off.
    I like the cheapest chitlings best, because they haven't been as thoroughly cleaned. I cut them into bait-sized pieces and put a pound or so into each ziploc bag. Then I put some kind of flavoring into each bag. I've used garlic powder and the contents of flavor packets from shrimp flavored ramen noodles (3 pkts per pound of chitlings). I haven't yet tried adding anise, vanilla flavoring, or cheese powder (cheese sauce mix).

You might also want to try bacon or salt pork.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The wife hates shrimp, thinks it takes up too much room, along with my chicken livers in the fridge and my mealworms, sometimes nightcrawlers. But, she does love those channel cats I catch. Its almost turned her off the farm raised kind. On the plus side, she wants a new fridge. The old one is in good shape and will become my bait and beer box.

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have used bacon with some success. I have wraped livers with bacon, if I have livers that have not been cured. The bacon helps keep the livers on the hook.

12. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I agree with Jerry, cut bait is the best, especially for bigger catfish. I usually catch fiddlers on crackilns but it does work well for those size of cats. If I know someone that needs some good eating fish for a fish fry, I will chum an area and fish with cracklins. It works.