Pork and dogs

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Dec 28, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    well as usual after the christmas meal was ready and i started carveing up the ham , i treated my dogs to the fatty /gristle pieces and they seemed to love it,
    then in the middle of the night our old boston terrier woke me by his whimpering and panting.
    he acted as if he was very hot and i took him to the water bowl as he
    is about blind ,wetted my fingers and touched his mouth to let him know
    where his bowl was and he didnt drink .
    he still was panting .
    i woke wife up and she took him outside and he had to go REAL bad.
    but after returning inside he still acted sick .
    he proceeded to get lethargic acting and even stumbleing when he walked
    throughout the next day so she took him in to the vet and they gave him iv's and took blood sample to check him out.
    she told him of my feeding him and the other dog some ham and the vet said that ham is not good for dogs.
    said it can mess their pancreace up because they cant digest it properly.
    i feel bad that i did that to him thinking i was treating him so i guess
    i will have to toughen up and not give in to him when he is stareing up wanting food :roll_eyes: .
    the other dog the big bassett ate the whole ham bone loaded with gristle
    and fat in about 30 minutes .
    he didnt complain a bit:embarassed: , i hope that doesnt come back to haunt me.
    anyone else heard of pork being bad for pets??

2. steelwolv

steelwolv New Member

State:
    ohio
    I too gave the ham bone to our 2 puppies, one of them got sick but I thought it was due to her eating so much of it. Well after reading your post their will be no more pork for the puppies.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive never heard that Pork was bad especially the bone dont know about the Grissle. Ive always heard that chicken bones were bad since they splinter up. I try not to feed my dog any table scraps as she is fat enough :smile2: but she gets some from my sons.

4. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    wife is a former vet tech ... its not an alergic reaction technically but kinda think of it in those terms meaning real pork can have a bad effect on one dog and not the other. The safe bet, don't feed pork to any dog. Oddly enough, this does not seem to occur when something has been flavored with pork (stews, soups, etc.), just be sure to take the pork chunks/bones out before giving it to them. Chicken bones can and have killed dogs, gets caught in their throat and/or internal bleeding.
    Yep, I know ... shouldn't feed the doggies any "people" food. Good luck with all that.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    No more ham for my dog!
    Bill

6. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Our great dane go really sick one time and the first thing the vet asked was if we had given him pork. she stated that they can eat pork their whole life then one time it will make them very sick or even kill them. I advised her that I didnt feed him pork but he did get a little beaver as I was skining it. She looked at me funny and then stated not to let him have anymore of that either. So dont feed your dog pork or beaver. lol
    stephen

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I didnt know that about pork. Thanks.
    --------------------------------

DRC I know how you feel.
    When I BBQ. Dogs love the smell. Now and then I have given them. a Steak bone but I try not to do that.
    We love our dog. She is very spoiled. Its hard not to give them a taste.
    What I do when cooking, eating that good smelling food that dogs love and beg for. I get a few dog treats and put them in my pocket. Thats what they get when the eating and smelling of good food is in the air. :wink:.

We feed them dry dog food but now and then when the BBQ etc. is smelling good to the dogs, I'll also open up a can of dog food that actually smells and looks dang good to me. ( has meat chunks, sauce, looks like peas and carrots in it ) Some hot sauce and crackers,I might eat it. :tounge_out:

I mix it in with the dry. they love it. She is fat, healthy and happy with her treats when we have our treats. She thinks she is getting same thing we be eating. LOL.:roll_eyes:
    Anyway dog treats help when those begging sad eyes wont people food. We get a people treat, they get a dog treat. Dog happy, we know she is healthy. :smile2:

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yep, people food is not good for dogs. As much as you wanna give it to them...don't. People get into big trouble in my house if caught feeding the dog people food. For one, it's too high in calories and fat. And also, as pointed out, some of it can be very dangerous to your dog. Don't give in.

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I once gave our rottie (Duke) a ham bone. He loved it but it gave him diaria (sp?) big time! I'll never do that again...

10. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Yep It happened to my dog last night.I gave him[shih Izu] some prime rib .So I went to prayer meeting last night and when I returned .....he had done what you all have said ......stinks like a dead man.
    No more prime rib for sure

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I love my dog very much and never ever knew that pork was bad for them. I knew Chicken bones were bad and also Choculate as it is a liver toxin but I never heard about pork until today.Never again will I try anything like that!:eek:oooh:

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    One question, dog food wasn't invented untill around 1860 and wasn't widely used untill after World War 2, what did dogs eat before this?

13. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Good question Patrick!
    I guess they ate things like Brids, rabbits,old bones and berries,rats,really anything they could find.
    Whats with the dry dog food?
    Think may someone is trying to brain wash us??
    Anyway ......Well said.

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    uhhh table scraps :lol:
    i know my granfather had coon hounds , they never got dog food only scraps from the table . when layla was still here with us i fed her onions , jalopeno's , bread , mashed taters and kept iams gravy in the fridge in case we were eating some thing special to pour over her dry food .

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    All the dead hogs here on the farm are put in dumpsters. A truck picks them up, carries them to a plant where they are cooked down into slop ( rendered) and put into DOG FOOD.

One of my dog's presents this year under the tree was a big ol bag of pig ears.
    Took my knife and puntured the bag and the wrapping paper. You should have seen him unwrap that present! You would have thought he was a youngin.

16. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My hounds are now over 12 years old. They have eaten pork meat (nearly raw) 3-4 times a week since they weaned. I have fed my hounds (about a dozen dogs so far) raw or semi-raw meats of all kinds for decades now. They have all lived to a ripe old age.

K-9s are carivores and scavangers and have a digestive system that can handle stuff that would kill us.

I think that we hear a lot of these kind of urban legends that are not based on science, but are often repeated to us by those that are heavily invested in Dog Food companies.

I view feeding dogs dry dog food just like feed human children a diet of saltine crackers with peanut butter and a vitamin pill every day of their lives.

All animals (with very few rare exceptions) need a variety in their diet for nutrition - just like humans do.

17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Dog were domesticated somewhere around 150,000 years ago. From then on they ate whatever their human masters ate, table scraps is what we call it today. All my dogs were raised on them and they all lived long and happy lives.

18. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for that info Jason. Y'all can feed your dogs meat if you want, but not me. Dogs don't need variety, they need nutrition. Variety just makes them picky beggars. A buddy of mine fed his sheepdog a half pound of spoiled hamburger, and the dog was dead in a matter of hours. I have another friend who has coon hounds that he feeds raw meat, and deer carcasses, and those dogs are far from being healthy. I have fed my dog those dried pig ears before, and it wasn't pleasant. Diarrhea, and vomiting. Good old dry dogfood is all my dog will ever get.

19. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Modern humans have only been around for 150,000 years. I would say that the dogs the cavemen coexisted with were wild wolves. Modern dogs aren't wolves. Feed them what you wan't. They ain't my dogs.