Porboy/American Horse

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CWGIBSON, Jul 23, 2007.

1. CWGIBSON

CWGIBSON New Member

State:
    okla
    Porboy, do you know any good spots on Am. Horse? I like that lake but have only caught Bass. I fished one time all night an not a bite. It may have been the spot or the bait, I don't know, but would like to know if you know of any good spots. My brother is coming in to town from NV. and want to take him to Am. Horse. Thank you!

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hi Chris,
    I have caught catfish more on the far end of the lake. If you catch the Bluegills biting you can fill a five gallon bucket in no time. I have done better on the west side for gills. But be forewarned, take plenty of tackle as there is all sorts of underwater trees, limbs etc and I have left plenty of hooks, sinkers etc there in the water. The lake is not very long or wide so you will not have to travel far to get into fish and the wind doesn't bother you there like it does on Canton Lake.
    Hope this helps a little. Good luck and I hope you all do well.
    Bill

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Chris, One time I was fishing in a little boat and watched some guys from Okla City with the long spinning rods that they use in Europe, must have been close to 20 ft or more long and they was fishing off the dam and they were catching the heck out of redear, bass and bluegills. I didn't see any catfish caught but they could have and I didn't see. If I remember right, the state record at one time for redear came out of American Horse.
    Bill

4. CWGIBSON

CWGIBSON New Member

State:
    okla
    Thany you, that helps. I have cought some big blue gills out of there. Last time I went it was last month and there were HUGE carp every where behind the dam. The water had gone over the spill way and there were dead Carp all over. In the lake I could see HUGE carp all over the east side of the dam area. I bet they would be fun to get into. Anyway thank you.

5. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris- ODWC electro fished a state record redear and a 10 pound plus largemouth from American Horse this summer. Both fish were released after viewing.
    catman george

6. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    This probably won't help, but we were trying to fish for bluegill (and failed), but we went into the second cove on the ramp side, we were just drifting with the wind and went into a very shaded area, my bro-in-law spotted some nice (6-7lb) cats, he actually counted a dozen of them. He said, "I brought some stinkbait, I think I'll try it." I told him, you aren't going to catch a catfish in the heat of the day, and he dropped it overboard, within 3 mins he had a catfish nail it, and wrap around a branch. Thankfully we were so close, we got my big net, grabbed the fish and untangled the line and had a 6+lb cat in the boat, but she was full of eggs:angry:. I am just saying, there is good catfishing, you just have to find them!

7. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    BTW, do you think game wardens ever check American Horse? I seriously doubt it, but wondering if anyone knew different

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey David,
    Good for you guys. It has been so hot that I have not been out for a couple of weeks. A big old SISSY I guess. I've seen one game warden there checking people a few years ago.
    Bill

9. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Game wardens DO check the lake periodically and normally catch a few violators.

Catman george

10. CWGIBSON

CWGIBSON New Member

State:
    okla
    I have a warden check me twice, once by my self and once when I had someone with me. I have seen some nice catfish bones by the ramp before, but still have not pulled any out. I like that lake though. It is so nice and hardly any one there during the week. And camping is free. BTW anyone know where the well is out there. The ODWC site has that there is one well, but I can't find it.

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The water well was getting vandalized too much and I guess ODWC removed it many years ago. I would say 10 yrs ago. The well was removed as well as the 2 outhouses. The toilets were horrible and people abused them badly, if you get my drift.
    The lake has many channels in the 5-10 pound range.

Geo