POPUPS !!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 223reload, Jan 8, 2009.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont know whats going on with the popups ,duckhunting,Hanna montanna ETC. But I wish this kind of crap wasnt here at all,I suggest nobody click on the duckhunt,I did and it took me to a bunch of CHIT websites ,

2. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I like the fishing one, it gives reports on my local lake.

3. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey, Richard,

I've never seen a pop-up ad here at the BOC. There are ads cycling over on the lefthand side of my screen, in the "Alert Center", but no pop-ups.
    Maybe it's because I have the Google Toolbar with pop-up blocker? I dunno, but it's a handy tool, I think!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I clicked on the download for the duckhunt,I ended up with making the weather channel my home page,and ASK.COM instead of my regular Yahoo page,Whats going on here?????? This was in the alert center spot,I dont know what the HE!! is going on

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    RELOAD,
    i just cleaned two of my compuers with malwarebytes and loading avg antivirus freeware from download.com
    cleaned mine good.
    Run quick clean first and run full scan twice and that will do it.
    The thread you can reference is the first long one in boc computer shop-it helped me.
    Later,
    Lindsay

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Richad, I have Pop Up Blocker on the home and work computer just for that reason. If nothing else they will drive ya nuts. If I need to see a pop up I can temporarily disable it or allow pop ups on a site.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have norton on mine and dont get all that junk, but tonight my internet is acting up, had to reboot a few times. I went to a few other sites I visit and no problems. :confused2:

8. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have pop up blocker turned on and I am still getting the same pop up about every 3rd thread I click on. I don't get any pop ups on any other sites. This is the same one every time. Something about computer parts and stuff from them crackers to the left called nerds.net. And I never click on it. Really getting old on dial up. If I don't click on it I should not have to deal with it. Just my 2 cents. It's not really a pop up, It just opens a new window with out me asking it to.

9. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's weird. I see the ads on the left, but they never open new windows or anything. I'm using Firefox plus that google pop-up blocker. If you're using Internet Explorer, maybe that's making a difference? I still have IE on the computer and will test that out after work today.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

the ones there are supposed to be there,like the foot dryers and things,they help pay the bills,I think I got some spy chit and it planted itself in those spots. The programs I ran took care of it.

11. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Yeah I've never seen a pop up on here. I use Firefox. I see the ads to the left, and the google ads between posts sometimes. If I click on the ads to the side it does open that page in another tab. The google ads between the posts generate revenue for the site, if I am not mistaken. I won't use IE so I don't know if it's an IE thing or what.

12. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Richard- The popups are not actually coming from the BOC. It sounds like somewhere you have received some sort of spyware, or malware virus. The spyware loads everytime you open your internet browser and pummels you with popup ads eventually to the point that you cannot do anything on the internet. I would suggest downloading a cleaning application and see if that will catch it.

There are lots of them to choose from and some do not work as advertised, one that I know is legit is "Spybot - Search and Destroy" (note: it's a free download, and you do not need to donate any $$). Download the program and the updates listed just below it. Install the program and then install the updates, then run it on your computer.

See if that helps, if not; you need to take you computer in to someone qualified to fix it, otherwise your problem will progressively get worse and your computer will need to be re-formatted (erasing EVERYTHING and starting over) to restore it to working order, which is not fun at all.

Good Luck.

13. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm using IE8 beta and have no problems with pop-up ads.

I do have the google pop-up blocker on.

14. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    The BOC doesn't use pop-ups, as many of the old timers know.

15. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
  16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I knew that Paul,I was freaking out when I saw them,I knew something was amiss,I just had to get a quick fix and contain the problem. I believe it stemmed from my daughter and online games,and {her changing } some things on the puter,I got r all fixed now :cool2: