popular inshore species

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by cathunter600, Feb 2, 2009.

1. cathunter600

cathunter600 New Member

State:
    alabama
    What are the most popular inshore species to fish for either from a pier or from the surf.

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    thats easy dude,

speckled trout, redfish, and flounder. talk to the local baitshops, they will hook you up on some ground pounder spots.

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    freshwater i'd have to say trout and bass + catfish

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    You can catch quite a bit in the surf or off a pier. Depends on what you are looking to get and where you are fishing. In the early summer there are a pile of black tip shark running the surf in the evening hours. If you are fishing the gulf, go to half hitch tackle and look at their fishing forcasts. I think pensicola is as far west that they go but it should be pretty close to alabama

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We always timed our trip to florida with the Pompano run. It was usually end of march, beginning of april. We would fish for them off the beach and usually do real well. Great tasting fish

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Do not forget the lowly fish that inhabit the saltwater/brackish rivers that most people overlook.

I Lived in Brevard County Florida at one time and I can tell you that the Indian and Banana Rivers around Cocoa Merrit Island and Eau Galley are awesome.

Just a sample of fish that can be caught from surf and or canal and river fishing.

Catfish,Sail catfish,Black Drum (reaches 100 lbs),Mangrove Snapper (some of the best eating and a very fun fish to catch),Flounder,WeakFish (aka Sea Trout),Snook,Redfish,Sheepshead,Whiting (easy to catch in great numbers excellent eating).

Surf fishing I have caught King Mack,Cobia,Bluefish,and many of the afore mentioned fishes.

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I think that last post pretty much sums it up! lol

8. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    West coast
    Barred surf perch ,rubber lip perch,other assorted smaller varieties of perch as well, opal eye,calico bass,Guitar fish,pin back sharks, thresher sharks,dog fish,all manner of rays,halibut,tom cod,black fin croaker,sargo,corbina,corvina,spotted bay bass,sand bass,bonita,barracuda,Pacific mackeral,white sea bass. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch but thats a starter

9. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    Flounder, Sea Trout, and Whiting are just to name a few that you could go after.

10. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I used to fish Apalachicola bat in Florida years ago and caught lots of speckled trout,redfish and flounder.One fish that is considered a trash fish is the sail cat.A beautiful fish and one that will smoke your reel.I dont think thet're good eating but thet are spectacular fighters.

11. wareagle06

wareagle06 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    coastal georgia offers a lot of saltwater fish. My favorite is sheephead. I like reds, trout, and flounder but when you hook up with a 8lb convic fish you better hold on tight.