Pop Up Camper, yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FishMan, May 30, 2006.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tent camping was ok but to much for me. If I am to keep my van I need to stay with something easy to tow so thinking of a pop up.

What is the good and bad of pop up camping.

Are there any I should stay away from. What are the better ones to look for. Do the ones with air conditioner really keep you cool.

Any information is more than I have now.

Thanks, Danny

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    My wifes family is big into camping with popups.
    These days, they are very easy to put up, put away, maintain etc.
    Yes, the airconditioners of the ones Ive been in worked just fine!

My father in law has had 5 over the past 10 years.
    Everyone of them he sold for more then he paid for it!
    Now that's a darn good return.

Just be sure to do your research on what ever one your thinking of buying about price and any problems. The internet will be great for that!

From what I have seen, popups are the way to go!

3. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    my answer would be yes , get one, but check a few things out on the internet and ebay and newspaper ads a little bit before u buy so you know what to look for. good luck.:lol:

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    nothing Wrong With A Popup. Thier Easy To Tow. I Had One I Pulled With A 95 Ranger 4 Cyl. And It Wasn't A Small One. Nothing Wrong With The Air In Them. Look At It This Way A Little Bit Of Cool Air Is Better Than No Air At All(which Ours Had.) Thier Easy To Set Up And Take Down. Easier Now Than When We Had Ours. Think Ours Was An Early 80's Or Lat 70's . Some Places You Can Rent Them. You Might Check That Out And Give That A Try Before You Go Out And Buy. That Way You'll Find Out If You Want To Go That Route. Good Luck What Ever You Deciede To Do.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wife and I spent a couple nights in a tent on the ground... that was enough to last a life time.

Bought a new Starcraft popup tent trailer in 1973. Used it for 15 years, then gave it to our kids and they used it a few years and sold it for half what we gave for it. We pulled that little sucker all over TX, NM and CO. Spent many 2 week vacations in it. Two weeks in a popup camper with three girls is a challenge, LOL.
    We never had an air conditioning... wouldn't done any good for we usually stayed where there was no power.
    I also carried a 14 ft Semi V aluminum boat on top, of course removed it before raising the top.

Good:
    1. Towing... is number one! You never know it's back there and we towed it with a car most of the time. The Starcraft weighted 1500 lbs.
    2. Cost less than a hard trailer.
    3. No way could I have loaded my 14 ft boat on top a hard trailer.

Bad:
    1. They are cold in cold weather and hot in hot weather. Although we camped some in TX with the windows down and with all the screening it was plenty cool at night.
    2. In cold weather they sweat from using the stove or from breath.
    3. Security... not as secure as a hard trailer.

Attached Files:

6. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I bought one 2 years ago and we love the air in mine will run you out it get nice and cool. popped it up today.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    With the gas prices now days, I would say yes go for it. If you been camping in a tent, a pop-up would be like a hotel suite.

8. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    pop up are ok check out HILOW's built some what like trailer but lower down like pop ups
    for the next step

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I've been looking at trailers and pop-ups. My brother in law recently got a combination called an expandable. You can see them at http://www.travelstarrv.com/

Seem to have the best of both worlds.

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I had a pop up, sold it last year. It was a coleman shenendoa, it had two kingsize beds at either end and air cond. It was really nice! The air worked great and the thing was very comfortable! I sold it to raise funds for my boat. It was nice.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Like most things, what's good for one person just plain won't work for another; you'll have to decide if a popup suits your needs best. For me, one of the biggest drawbacks would be the problem of towing my boat along. Many states don't allow you to pull two trailers of any kind or size. But then, I almost never go camping unless I'm taking my boat along. Of course, two people could probably put a standard width 14'-16' jonboat on top of a popup and tie it down good, assuming that you would have two reasonably strong people to do it.

12. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    We have a Jayco with air conditioning and we love ours.
    It is very easy for towing and set up and take down.
    The air will run you out sometimes, it gets that cold !! Brrrrrrr.......lol
    We paid $4000.00 for ours from my inlaws and it is money well spent.
    We are taking it to Colorado next week and we will stay in it for a week.
    If we were to sell ours, it would sell for what I paid for it or more, I was offered $5000.00 for it last year by some Deer hunters but I didn;t want to sell it.

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all the post. It sound good, I am going to start looking.

Danny

14. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good luck Danny, hope you find a good deal on one. That thing will be nice at the National Gathering, see you there.

15. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a Coleman pop-up and we love it we've been using it for 5 yrs now and its a 1991. Its easy to tow and most of the time you dont even realize its back there.
    The only thing that comes to mind to tell you to check is to look really good at the floor and look up underneath the trailer to check for wood rot. Also check were the canvas meets the roof on the inside of the trailer these 2 places are were you would be able to see if the trailer is leaking at all.
    Good Luck,
    Todd

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I could easily load my Wards 14 ft semi V boat on my camper. (the one in the picture) I always loaded it by myself when we were getting ready to leave home for I kept the boat and camper in the alley behind our house.
    I had two wheels mounted on top and each side of the back of the boat, two roller bars on top of the camper, one bar at the back, one at front. I would lift the front of the boat up, sat it on the back roller bar, then go to the back of the boat and walk it forward up on the camper. For quick tie down... I then had three car seat belts attached to the camper, they snapped in place, one at the front and two at the back. I could load the boat and unload it less than 5 minutes. Also with the wheels I could push it down to the water like a wheelbarrow.
    At campsites the kids or wife would usually help.

We did most of our camping in the Rockies at high elevation lakes, there was no electric power but at that elevation we didn't needed air conditioning... just plenty of wood.

After 15 years of using the fold out camper we upgraded to a new 32ft Pace Arrow motorhome. It was a one gaint change. :lol:

But us and the kids still talk about all the great trips we had in the fold out!

17. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I had a 32 foot pace arrow, It was an older model but still was more comfortable than a tent. I had to sell it due to an injury I acquired at work. I lost my job due to this injury. I sure miss that camper.

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Verlon,
    This is the only picture we have of our Pace Arrow, some one else took it. Had the MH for 6 years but during those years I was only taking videos. I have videos of every trip.
    We towed a Honda Civic... it was the only car with an auto transmission that could be towed on the ground.
    We sold it too quick but after we moved to the lake we stop using it.

Attached Files:

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Mine was a 87 model. Looked just like the one you have.

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Get a pop up truck camper and have both. And a way to tow a boat also.
    But then again you seen at East Tn why I have a truck camper. I can tow the boat and park about anywhere can with just the boat.
    Pete