Pop rivets leaking

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by rclark, Aug 30, 2009.

1. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hello, I just got back from the river and the boat has a couple
    leaks!!:crazy: :angry:

The P/O had patched a couple of rivets in my aluminum boat and we were standing there B/Sin and my buddy seen where a couple of rivets still had moisture around them when the rest of the boat was dry. After further inspection we found that part of the patch job had come off and a place right along side the V-bottoom that had some patch on it also!!

I'm going to take all the old patch places and clean them up good and would like to know the best stuff on the market to repair them with!!

Thanks
    Randy

2. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    use a product called gluvit

3. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

4. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Best way is to drill it out and replace with a stainless steel nut, stove bolt and washer. I use a little bit of Seal All (Any of the Goop Products should work) around the head of the stove bolt which goes through from the outside, nut and washer from the inside. I've replaced several leaky rivets this way and have never had one start leaking again

Also check the bunk boards on your trailer, when they get rough or have a ridge they'll tear lose rivets and tear off any kind of product you try to use to seal it which sounds like may have happened in your case

5. NEPATRIOTS

NEPATRIOTS New Member

State:
    FL
    I had the same problem with one of my older boats, I drilled out the rivit and put another on it's place, never leaked again. Hope this helps

6. NEPATRIOTS

NEPATRIOTS New Member

State:
    FL
    Sorry I wanted to add I just went to Home Depot and got a box of rivits, I put a larget one in replace of the one I drilled.

7. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    I like the nut and bolt idea. Just not so pleasing to the eye

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most the time all ya need to do is heat the old rivit up a lil with a propane torch about 150 deg have a buddy hold a big bolt chunk of rebar ect agains the rivit on the inside and tap the out side rivit with a ballpeen hammer making it swell and fit tight again. You can do it cold to but it takes practice and a few hits. You can also buy rivit setting irons to hold on both sides and give a hammer tap. They rivit boats just like air-craft its easy to repair seams or replace ripped out or badly worn rivits with the nex size bigger. Dont use pop rivits as they dont do as good of a job. Sealers like JB weld and epoxys are just Quick fixs that fail in time. If ya know a good welder, spot welding bad rivits with a tig can make a good permanet fix. Look online for vids to explain how to set alum swag rivits correctly