Poor Quality

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by vlparrish, Jul 31, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Last year my wife and I bought a new computer chair. It was one of the high back ones with arms so that we could be comfortable surfing th BOC. It wasn't the high end model, but it was far from the low end. Well, the bottom of the chair broke. We had purchased it at Staples and it had a year warranty. They were very cooperative and gave us a new one. I came in from fishing last night and my wife says the chair is broke again. Maybe Staples will give us a new one again. The problem I have is that a lot more things seem to be built of low quality anymore. Has anyone else noticed this? I looked at the tag and it says "made in China" Go figure. Now that less stuff is being made in the good old USA it seems quality is down the drain. JMHO Vern

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Vernon, I can't recall how many threads there have been regarding the quality of American-made products vs. others. These days, even some US-made products are not representative of the quality that used to exist years ago. However, it is true that finding (affordable) things that will last a while is becoming quite the challenge these days.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think it's a conspiracy started by the landfill owners..:lol:

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Seems things don't last like they used to for me as well.. Used to get 15-20 years out of appliences, Tv's, stereos, etc., no problem... They are a "consumable" anymore :roll_eyes:

Car Engines on the other hand seems to have improved dramatically.. I remember *if* a car reached 100K miles that was something... Now they got em where you dont even do the first tuneups until 100K heh....

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I had the same thing happen to my chair I got from Staples. It was about 3 years old though, this one is 2 years and going strong. With my fat butt in it and as much time as I spend on here I can't complain.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah vern i agree quality aint what it used to be and the cost is the only thing that has gone up just goin to get worse i predict

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Manufactures track the length of time that products last. They then set the warrenty 2 days after that time. They are in business to sell things. If they don't brake they don't sell more. It dosen't make it right but it is a fact not many things are makde to last. I get a kdck out of lifetime garrenties. I was once told by a manufacture" It broke (wore out) its lifetime is over> the garanty is not for the owners lifetime only the products."
    Have you ever had a favorite fishing pole that broke and tried to find a replacement? If it is very old you can't most of the time uness you get lucky.
    New is always better. they want us to believe.

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Vernon, Get one like Tea's got. If a computer chair will last him 2 years they will last most people a life time.
    :big_smile_2:
    I just couldn't resist ole buddy ole pal.

ST

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Funny.... I posted about my computer chair on another thread just a few minutes ago, never mention it before in 8 years.

It's a La-Z-Boy computer chair. Let me tell you, there is none better... very comfortable and yes, it's pretty expensive but it will probably be the last computer chair you'll need. I've had mine for 8 years... still looks new and sits new, it's the most used chair in the house. Someone is in it most of the day and until 10 or 11 at night. (someone is usually me since I got my wife a laptop) :wink:

Best because it's made in Monroe, Michigan USA!

Attached Files:

10. Me thinks we need a forum area to review all kinds of products. I usually say if you want something to last you build it yourself. That way if it breaks you know exactly how to fix it.

11. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    at least i can say my baby is american made...lol

12. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    If I went & got one of those I'd never get Cleve's butt out of it!

13. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Alas, but this is the fix we are finding ourselves in more, and more. They gotta beat that competition, and make a good profit too. Jack.

14. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Vern,
    I didnt even get thru your post , without getting up, flipping the chair over,knocked the lamp over and onto the floor while doing so!! Your right, they dont make lamps like they used to either! :lol:

15. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    heck the more manufacturers are making off their products the less they care about their customer satisfaction---it seems to be thats where we're at nowadays.

16. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    That looks like a fine chair. La-z-boy chairs are the best in my opinion.

ST

17. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Vernon, I did not return it once, but twice. I bought the extra 5 yr warranty. They had the nerve to tell me that I would have to purchase the warranty again with the chair that I took in to replace. I told them what I thought about that and they gave in. You're taking the thing back this time. Close to $100 and still a piece of junk.

18. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Okay, the Parrish's have convinced me that I DON'T want to buy a computer chair from Staples. I'm sure the one that I'm sitting in right now was probably made in China too. It could use a replacement at this point I suppose, but I bought it at Big Lots and it only cost $60. I've had it at least six years, maybe more, so I guess that's not a bad investment......$10 a year for as much as I use it. They have one at Sam's Club made by Broyhill that looks very nice. It is priced at $200, but it's definitely American made. Broyhill is still right here in the good ole US of A, North Carolina to be exact.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It will take alot more Daytons to win this war.
    If you have ever been a salesman of any type you'll find very few people want to actually listen to what you have to say except for the price.
    People price shop.
    People want low prices, they got it. Made in China.

I actually do tag shop. I dont mind spending a little more or alot more in some cases for something that is made in America and obviously a better product.
    It's not hard to judge quality by appearances but the Chinese have gotten smart as we get wise.
    They duplicate appearances in products and rape the guts of the product.
    They'll cheapen everything on the inside up.

I'm the type of person who would laugh at a 50 dollar belt sander and make comments about how cute a toy that is and go straight for the 300 dollar belt sanders. There is a big big difference in tool quality. I'm using tools my dad used and my grand dad used.
    I have an old air compressor (tankless) that is a Sears Roebuck. I just know its got to be better then 50 years old and I still use it to pump up lawnmower and tractor tires.
    The Chinese couldnt come close.

The consumers of this country are reaping what they have sown.

20. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mark, I agree with you 100%, but with four mouths to feed (and I'm sure others are the same way), I just can't afford the things that I know are better quality. I can get product A and product B in a cheaper model, or strain my pocket book and just get product A or B, but not both. Also American workers not just the greed of the company itself have outpriced their selves out of the economy. The whole reason the bigger fortune 500 companies like auto makers are sending so much more work overseas. You can hire an American worker to do a job at thirty dollars an hour, or you can take the same plant to Mexico and get it done for thirty pesos an hour, which is like three bucks. The money saved on wages alone will build the plant. Vern