Poor dog.

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by FREESPOOL, Feb 27, 2008.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    We took our family dog to the vet a while back. She's been walking very lightly on a couple of her paws. She'll sit there and lick them, and chew on them all the time. Anyways, we take her to the vet to see what the problem is.

They tell us she has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. :confused2: What the crap kind of an answer is that?!?!?!

So, my dog continues to nurse her absolutely "fine" paws???

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Is your dog a labrador? I had a black lab that did the same thing, same answer from the vet too. :eek:oooh: The vet told me it was common with labs.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    never heard of it ,hope your dog does well

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Buy her a damn rawhide or something, geeeesh! Nope it may sound strange but have a rottie the same way, ADDADHD in my Rottie, told the vet OKaaaaaaaaaaaay? Have a nice day..... Ya know I bet if you stop putting duct tape on her feet she would stop chewing on them? All BS aside, what breed ya got? and did it just start or been since a pup? I'm not a vet but I did stay at Holiday Inn last night :wink:

Good Luck with yer PUP! You have insurance on her?

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats funny I have that same problem, I'm always on this site.:eek:oooh:

6. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    She's a lab/golden retriever. No insurance either. She's really just started doing in the past month or two. I thought the diagnosis was a bunch of BS. Guess my dogs not the only freak out there. :smile2::smile2:

7. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    My dog does the same thing.I didn't know she was neurotic until now.I just figured it was hyperactivity.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    The vet didn't find anything? What I am asking is, over the past 30 years I/we have had some do this and in the winter certain types of ice melt can get deep in the pad and cause it to split and dry out, 1 dog had to have lotion put on his pads to finally get them to heal? will she let you look around in them?, or does she get all po'd when you touch them? If she gets mad, I would look for a small cut or some of the salt stuff will burn them in between the pads, since you said a month or so it would be right for winter.

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Probably finding a spec of dirt and thinks it has to be cleaned... repeatedly. Never heard of a dog having OCD.

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey Dan... Don't go to Hawthorne anymore..

11. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    No kidding Harold. My last dog was diagnosed with Luekemia at Hawthorne, and they put her to sleep. :sad2: Now my current dog has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder???? 2 things I never imagined a dog having. :confused2::confused2: Man, they are creative.

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Since they went 24 hrs they can think up all kinds of new treatments for dogs..

13. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have heard bull terriers with OCD. I say I think on national geographic where this one bull terrier would just run in circles in a corner until the owner stopped it.

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    ocd or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is caused by stress, anxious or boredom. It's a genetic trait in some breeds like bull terriers, dobermans, etc. Does your dog get plenty of exercise? Does your dog bark alot?:eek:oooh:

15. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    My dog very rarely barks. Only when someone pulls in the driveway she doesn't know. As far as excercise.... I've got a little over an acre and she's free to run the whole yard. The neighbors dogs come over and she plays with them.
    You mentioned stress. My wife runs a home daycare. :eek:oooh: Now that I think about it, the only time she really ever seems stressed is when one of those little monsters are picking on her. I wonder if that might be the cause??

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    It's a good possibility. How old is your dog? Usually the golden retriever and labs are mild mannered around children. Does any of the children harass the dog?

Like feedback!!
    Mark

17. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    She's very well mannered with the kids. It's just the very small ones that don't quite understand. You know, the 1 and 2 year olds. She tends to hop up and move real quick like when she sees one heading for her. :smile2: I believe she's real close to 4 years old.
    I'm hoping once it starts getting nice outside, it'll help. She tends to want to spend her day outside when the weathers nice. Basking in the sun. Away from the monsters. Waiting on daddy to get home from work. :big_smile:

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Run a test of your own .try keeping her away from the little ones for awhile and see what happens. If she calms down you know what the problem is.
    Also try giving her baby asprins maybe that will calm her down some. Good luck with your dog.
    Like some said she could of got some salt on her paws and burnt the pads.

19. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Dan! I think that would be the best medicine for her. We owned an English Springer Spaniel with the same problem your dog is experiencing. The vet called it LICKOMA. Not sure on the spelling, but she would constantly lick and bite at her feet and paws. There was no visible signs of cuts, abrasions on her feet. Perfectly fine. We tried vet prescribed sprays, lotions with no great results. She got plenty of excercise. Didn't believe she was stressed at all. She went with us everywhere. Just like a child. I hope all is OK with your dog in the future. Keep me posted!!

GOOD LUCK DAN!:big_smile:

20. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Dan ya big dummy! Your boats gone to the shop and your dog is FREAKING out thinking there will be no more days on the water!!! Put her in the truck and run to the dealer so your she can see it is still there!!! :wink: :smile2::smile2: